Two arrested in Chicago for conspiracy to attack Jyllands-posten

Started by Pat, October 27, 2009, 08:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2009, 04:13:24 PM
By doing fine you mean parliament taking enormous dumps on the constitution, right?
Constitutions are undemocratic. Try to keep up.

Pat

Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2009, 05:06:13 PM
@miglia:

1. Sorry, the supreme court is not an effective means of keeping parliament in check.

Take the famous Åke Green case as an example.

The lower courts followed Brottsbalken accurately and sentenced him for hate speech (a travesty, I know, but entirely according to the letter of the law).

When the case came to the Supreme Court, they acquitted him because a sentence would go against the European Convention of Human Rights (which is a part of Swedish constitutional law).

Quote2. While I am not talking specifically about the FRA law I will observe that you can't seriously be arguing that what you quoted makes it OK. Any limitation of freedom of speech is OK as long as it is done for national security? Even your own quote contradicts that (second paragraph).

No it doesn't, you'll have to read that second paragraph again. The second paragraph is left deliberately vague to allow the Supreme Court a free interpretation.

If you were arguing our constitution was weak on this matter, then I'd agree with you.

Pat

And if you're not talking about the FRA law, then what are these "enormous dumps" on the constitution you talk of?

The Brain

Quote from: miglia on October 28, 2009, 05:19:56 PM
@miglia:

1. Sorry, the supreme court is not an effective means of keeping parliament in check.

The lower courts followed Brottsbalken accurately and sentenced him for hate speech (a travesty, I know, but entirely according to the letter of the law).

When the case came to the Supreme Court, they acquitted him because a sentence would go against the European Convention of Human Rights (which is a part of Swedish constitutional law).

Quote2. While I am not talking specifically about the FRA law I will observe that you can't seriously be arguing that what you quoted makes it OK. Any limitation of freedom of speech is OK as long as it is done for national security? Even your own quote contradicts that (second paragraph).

No it doesn't, you'll have to read that second paragraph again. The second paragraph is left deliberately vague to allow the Supreme Court a free interpretation.

If you were arguing our constitution was weak on this matter, then I'd agree with you.

1. AFAIK the case didn't lead to the abolishing of existing unconstitutional laws.

2. You argue that the law is vague yet claim that the law makes it OK? Sorry, you can't both have your cake and eat it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: miglia on October 28, 2009, 05:25:05 PM
And if you're not talking about the FRA law, then what are these "enormous dumps" on the constitution you talk of?

EU membership comes to mind. Whether a person was for or against it the constitution would have had to be changed in important ways to accomodate it. It was not. There's little excuse for the lawmakers themselves to go against the law instead of changing it.

DGuller

Pat

Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2009, 05:34:38 PM
@miglia:

1. AFAIK the case didn't lead to the abolishing of existing unconstitutional laws.

2. You argue that the law is vague yet claim that the law makes it OK? Sorry, you can't both have your cake and eat it.

1. The decision will have value of precedent, and so lower courts will judge differently.

2. I'm saying that I don't agree that it is against the constitution. Someone else could do a different interpretation, though I don't see how.

Pat

Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2009, 05:40:21 PM

EU membership comes to mind. Whether a person was for or against it the constitution would have had to be changed in important ways to accomodate it. It was not. There's little excuse for the lawmakers themselves to go against the law instead of changing it.

But the constitution was changed :huh:

The Brain

Quote from: miglia on October 28, 2009, 05:41:56 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2009, 05:34:38 PM
@miglia:

1. The decision will have value of precedent, and so lower courts will judge differently.

2. I'm saying that I don't agree that it is against the constitution. Someone else could do a different interpretation, though I don't see how.

1. Sorry, that's just not good enough for something that is put forward as a serious alternative to a constitutional court.

2. Gee, I guess that's why it would be useful to, you know, have a constitutional court to settle these things. Funny that.

The Brain

Quote from: miglia on October 28, 2009, 05:42:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2009, 05:40:21 PM

But the constitution was changed :huh:

Not enough to accomodate EU membership.

Pat

Why not?

2 kap. 23 §

Lag eller annan föreskrift får ej meddelas i strid med Sveriges åtaganden på grund av den europeiska konventionen angående skydd för de mänskliga rättigheterna och de grundläggande friheterna. Lag (1994:1468).

This is one of the changes in Regeringsformen, there's a crapload more of them.

The Brain

Quote from: miglia on October 28, 2009, 05:47:05 PM
Why not?

2 kap. 23 §

Lag eller annan föreskrift får ej meddelas i strid med Sveriges åtaganden på grund av den europeiska konventionen angående skydd för de mänskliga rättigheterna och de grundläggande friheterna. Lag (1994:1468).

QuoteAll offentlig makt i Sverige utgår från folket.

This is still the first line of the constitution. But it's not true given EU membership.

Pat

Quote1. Sorry, that's just not good enough for something that is put forward as a serious alternative to a constitutional court.

Why not? Can you give any examples of when our current system has produced unwanted consequenses?

edit: because of this, I mean

Quote2. Gee, I guess that's why it would be useful to, you know, have a constitutional court to settle these things. Funny that.

And why can't the supreme court settle these things?

Pat

Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2009, 05:50:08 PM
Quote from: miglia on October 28, 2009, 05:47:05 PM
Why not?

2 kap. 23 §

QuoteAll offentlig makt i Sverige utgår från folket.

This is still the first line of the constitution. But it's not true given EU membership.

That's a so called "Portalstadgande" and not to be interpreted literally. And yes it's true lol. :lol: