South Africa

Started by Lettow77, October 27, 2009, 07:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2009, 02:49:04 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2009, 01:52:41 PM
I wouldn't say 'predominates', but it certainly is influential in the field of music.  However, at this point the music scene has been assimilated, and even country music has gone rock and roll.

Rock & Roll was the chief genre I was thinking of, though country, jazz, and the blues also developed in the South.

Original Inductees in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame:
Buddy Holly
Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Fats Domino
James Brown
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
Ray Charles
Sam Cooke
The Everly Brothers

The Everly Brothers were from Iowa and Chuck Berry from St. Louis, the rest were all Southerners.
But that time is over now.  Rock and roll has been fully absorbed into the country as a whole for 3 decades and change, and there are many other influences on today's pop music.  The British Invasion, the Northwest Sound of the 90s, California synthpop, urban hiphop, and so on.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Neil- the northwest cape is thinly populated and has nothing worth having. The Constitution guarantees the afrikaners the right to seperate there, if enough of them move there and choose to seperate.

Which I think they will, eventually.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on October 28, 2009, 02:19:21 PM
Actually a lot of South Africans moved to Canada as well. Nothing makes my poor heart melt more than a South African girl with that accent....
Amen tsovaritch.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2009, 02:56:52 PM
But that time is over now.  Rock and roll has been fully absorbed into the country as a whole for 3 decades and change, and there are many other influences on today's pop music.  The British Invasion, the Northwest Sound of the 90s, California synthpop, urban hiphop, and so on.

Sure. I agree with you that our culture is integrated, it's just not all being produced in NY and LA.

As for which part of the country is most responsible for driving music NOW, I'll leave it to people who care about that crap. Southerners, especially but not exclusively Southern blacks, created the great forms of the 20th century.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Actually a lot of South Africans moved to Canada as well. Nothing makes my poor heart melt more than a South African girl with that accent....

That's one of the few Europeanish accents that do not resonate with me.  Not sure why, 'cuz I'm generally a sucker for that type of thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 28, 2009, 03:02:21 PM
Neil- the northwest cape is thinly populated and has nothing worth having. The Constitution guarantees the afrikaners the right to seperate there, if enough of them move there and choose to seperate.

Which I think they will, eventually.
Subsaharan Africa isn't populated with people who are known for respecting the law without the application of force.  How many battalions do the Afrikaaners possess?

If they wanted to maintain the option to not be the victims of genocide, while the rest of the world cheers on, they should have held onto The Bomb.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on October 28, 2009, 04:12:31 PM
That's one of the few Europeanish accents that do not resonate with me.  Not sure why, 'cuz I'm generally a sucker for that type of thing.
No wood from watching Lethal Weapon XVII?

DisturbedPervert

All South African whites should rise up and move to the Cape.

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on October 28, 2009, 04:12:31 PM

Europeanish? :s

Its Australian I always get it muddled with.
██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

well Neil, the Afrikaners are the most armed group per capita in South Africa- And, the world would not cheer on if they denied the Afrikaners their constitutional rights to self-govern in a shithole. The ill will afrikaners earn through apartheid only goes so far.

I think the boers could hold them back in a military conflict, though.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

citizen k

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on October 28, 2009, 05:20:33 PM
Its Australian I always get it muddled with.

To me it comes across as a cross between High English and Aussie. Note, I imagine there's plenty of South African accents, I'm referring to the one used by the white elite who fled the country like the plague.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 28, 2009, 05:23:08 PM
well Neil, the Afrikaners are the most armed group per capita in South Africa- And, the world would not cheer on if they denied the Afrikaners their constitutional rights to self-govern in a shithole. The ill will afrikaners earn through apartheid only goes so far.

I think the boers could hold them back in a military conflict, though.
The blacks control the army.  That will allow them to slaughter the whites.  Remember, they won't be going after combatants.  They'll be trying to slaughter civilians.

If whites try and create their own state in South Africa, constitutional or not, the usual suspects will go off about colonialism, apartheid and racism, and they will support the blacks regaining control of the territory, which will involve the liquidation of those Afrikaaners who don't have the resources or smarts to have fled the country.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2009, 07:08:55 PM
If whites try and create their own state in South Africa, constitutional or not, the usual suspects will go off about colonialism, apartheid and racism, and they will support the blacks regaining control of the territory, which will involve the liquidation of those Afrikaaners who don't have the resources or smarts to have fled the country.

But think of all the new Paul Simon albums we'll get.