Societies don't have to be secular to be modern

Started by citizen k, October 23, 2009, 02:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: miglia on October 29, 2009, 06:25:59 PM

Just pointing out the irony of the situation;

Who are you again?  Someone' suckpuppet or your own man?  Though you are to be commended for putting up with grumbler's usual obfuscations for so long.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Pat

Mostly lurked on the old forum, occasionally posted, though under another name, patmaster (which dates to the first time I registred at a paradox board, back in 2000)

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on October 29, 2009, 05:23:25 PM
Isn't it a classic tu quoque?   
No, tu quoque is the "you, too" argument, a variant of the ad hom.  It has to be aimed at an individual.

QuoteAt any rate, appeal to authority isn't a fallacy, appeal to unqualified authority is.
Not sure what you are saying here.  The fallacy is appealing to an authority that isn't authoritative (like Freud on ethics). 

If you are arguing that a non-fallacious appeal to authority is not an example of the Appeal to Authority Fallacy, that seems fairly tautological.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: miglia on October 29, 2009, 06:25:59 PM
Just pointing out the irony of the situation; that *I'm* the one you're accusing of appeal to authority.   
No irony here - you are fallaciously appealing to authority.

QuoteGrumbler, please, you're just grasping at straws because you've been made to look rediculous time after time in this thread. I'll continue to use quotes to make my points if I want to. Nothing wrong with that.
:lol:  I think everyone knows what it means when one side in a debate starts desperately claiming that they have scored all the points.  I don't see anything here that makes me look "rediculous" (whatever that is - I assume it has to do with colors).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2009, 06:27:57 AM
:lol:  I think everyone knows what it means when one side in a debate starts desperately claiming that they have scored all the points.

Well, if it's an internet debate, that means the other side is showing an uncommon amount of restraint.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on October 29, 2009, 01:14:54 PM
WTF?  :lol:

Okay - some googling made sense of that. What an unfortunate coincidence.  :D

The Germans made sure we couldn't have nice things.  Had to change 45th infantry division as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pat

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2009, 06:33:10 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2009, 06:27:57 AM
:lol:  I think everyone knows what it means when one side in a debate starts desperately claiming that they have scored all the points.

Well, if it's an internet debate, that means the other side is showing an uncommon amount of restraint.  :D

I actuallly think I have showed quite a lot of restraint, seeing as I've been trying to argue constructively in earnest while grumbler doesn't add anything to to the arguments but only  relies on an entirely destructive and obfuscatory style of debate in the form of nitpicking, misconstruing, pretending not to understand, accusing one of breaking his rules (as if he's the only one to decide how an argument between him and someone else is to be conducted), or, why not, ridiculing me for typos when he knows english is my second language. I don't know why I waste my time on him. In the strange machinations of his mind he was the "winner" of this debate, I'm sure, but I can at least be content I never sunk to his level (edit: or I suppose you could say I did so now :P but not as the debate was going on, anyway).

Lucidor

Quote from: miglia on October 29, 2009, 06:49:12 PM
Mostly lurked on the old forum, occasionally posted, though under another name, patmaster (which dates to the first time I registred at a paradox board, back in 2000)
:wooT:

Lucidor

Oh, and what's the executive summary of this thread so far? :D

Pat

Hey Lucidor  :)

You'll have to go back and read it :lol:

edit: And the year 2000 reg. date is from the old Svea Rike forum, at the Europa Univeralis board that became Paradox it's the more noobish april 2001. :(

grumbler

Quote from: miglia on October 30, 2009, 12:04:17 PM
I actuallly think I have showed quite a lot of restraint, seeing as I've been trying to argue constructively in earnest while grumbler doesn't add anything to to the arguments but only  relies on an entirely destructive and obfuscatory style of debate in the form of nitpicking, misconstruing, pretending not to understand, accusing one of breaking his rules (as if he's the only one to decide how an argument between him and someone else is to be conducted), or, why not, ridiculing me for typos when he knows english is my second language. I don't know why I waste my time on him. In the strange machinations of his mind he was the "winner" of this debate, I'm sure, but I can at least be content I never sunk to his level (edit: or I suppose you could say I did so now :P but not as the debate was going on, anyway).
When a person decides to shift from the topic of the debate to the topic of their opponent's personality, debating style, what they are currently really thinking, etc, it is because they are getting their ass handed to them on substantive issues and they either have to admit defeat or resort to ad homs.

Pray continue.  This is the "lashing out" portion of the debate where I become a spectator and the only things left duking it out in the ring are you and your bitterness. 

And, yes, I will ridicule your spelling if you are committing those errors in the midst of an insult, because the sight of a poster getting all "I am winning this debate!" while making spelling blunders is just too funny to resist.  And I am sorry, but the world does not revolve around you; you are far too much the n00b here for me to know or care what your first language is or is not.

Bayraktar!

Pat

Well, grumbler, now you're feigning ignorance again, since you remarked upon english not being my first language not long ago in this very thread. But nevermind, it's not important. Please let me know on what substantive issue you believe I got my ass handed to me, because on this matter I would be interested in your opinion.

The substantial argument was over pages ago. Who do you think you're fooling? :huh: If there's anything you have to say, say it. I'll gladly make a fool of you once more.

grumbler

Quote from: miglia on October 30, 2009, 04:21:35 PM
Well, grumbler, now you're feigning ignorance again, since you remarked upon english not being my first language not long ago in this very thread.
I don't think so, and a quick search using me as poster and "first language' as the search term for the last 12 days gives just the post above.  Maybe you are fixated on me and it was really someone else?

QuoteBut nevermind, it's not important. Please let me know on what substantive issue you believe I got my ass handed to me, because on this matter I would be interested in your opinion.
Dunno what issue you think you got your ass handed to you on.  All I know is that when posters go to the ad homs, it is generally because they are whipped on the substance.  The only other reason is that they are nasty fucks who enjoy ad homs, and i wouldn't accuse you of that - you have been generally very polite in this thread.  Maybe my notation that you were guilty of a logical fallacy is what stung.

QuoteThe substantial argument was over pages ago. Who do you think you're fooling? :huh:
I don't think anyone is fooled by the attempted appeal to authority, nor was anyone "fooled" when I pointed it out.  Insofar as I know, that has been the substance of our exchange.  Who did you think you could fool with the Freud thing?

QuoteIf there's anything you have to say, say it. I'll gladly make a fool of you once more.
This fixation on me, and the insistence that you have made a fool of me, or made me look "rediculous," puzzles me.  It entertains me (and, I suspect, the board in general) as well of course, so I am not calling for you to stop; I am just pointing out that it is bizarre.

But carry on*, if you please.

*pun intended

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Pat

I believe you used the words "native language", but you did admit to constantly forgetting "english is not [my] native language", so I suppose I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one; maybe you weren't dishonest, but merely forgetful.

And I wasn't trying to fool anyone with my Freud citation by using him as some kind of "authority on ethics" (who is an authority on etics anyway? how does one become an authority on ethics?). As I explained, Freud's argument was a variation of my own argument, an argument I had been perfectly capable of making myself. Then citizen k asked "What about Karma?" in reference to the Freud quote, which can be understood as either "What does Freud say about Karma?" or "What do you say about Karma?" which is why I answered with "I don't think Freud says anything about Karma..." and then went on to give my own opinion on the matter.

And thank you for acknowledging my politness throughout this thread; now that the discussion was over I felt free to reciprocate some of your rudeness. One hardly needs to be fixated on you to draw general conclusions from your behaviour and style of debate.

Anyway it doesn't matter. This discussion is over as far as I'm concerned (you can have the last word if you want).

@ Jaron, yes.