Societies don't have to be secular to be modern

Started by citizen k, October 23, 2009, 02:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: miglia on October 31, 2009, 04:59:41 AM
I believe you used the words "native language", but you did admit to constantly forgetting "english is not [my] native language", so I suppose I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one; maybe you weren't dishonest, but merely forgetful. 
Nope, didn't use either of those phrases earlier.  I really think you are so fixated on me that you are lumping every poster who has disagreed with you into "grumbler."  I have mno idea what your nationality or native language is, and no desire to know.

QuoteAnd I wasn't trying to fool anyone with my Freud citation by using him as some kind of "authority on ethics" (who is an authority on etics anyway? how does one become an authority on ethics?). As I explained, Freud's argument was a variation of my own argument, an argument I had been perfectly capable of making myself. Then citizen k asked "What about Karma?" in reference to the Freud quote, which can be understood as either "What does Freud say about Karma?" or "What do you say about Karma?" which is why I answered with "I don't think Freud says anything about Karma..." and then went on to give my own opinion on the matter.
You stated that "one would do well to bear in mind the words of Sigmund Freud on the matter."  That is an appeal to authority.  As the topic that you are asking us to bear his words in mind on is ethics, and Freud is not an authority on ethics, this is a logical fallacy.  As you note, you could have said this very thing yourself, but chose to bring in Freud. 

QuoteAnd thank you for acknowledging my politness throughout this thread; now that the discussion was over I felt free to reciprocate some of your rudeness. One hardly needs to be fixated on you to draw general conclusions from your behaviour and style of debate.
The reason I can acknowledge your politeness is that I have a fairly thick skin, and find your ad homs amusing rather than "impolite."  I am sorry that you are so sensitive that you saw my criticism of your arguments as "rudeness," but that is your issue, not mine.  The fixation on me that causes you to go on and on about me when all I did was mention that using Freud as an expert on ethics is also really your issue and not mine. I know that I am "supposed" to get all upset at these ad homs about my behavior and whatnot, but I just cannot do it.  They are too funny.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quoteyou are lumping every poster who has disagreed with you into "grumbler."

grumbler is legion.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

citizen k

This thread has run its course. How do I lock it?  <_<

Ed Anger

dps

Quote from: citizen k on October 31, 2009, 03:47:40 PM

Nuke it from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

Ed Anger

grumbler

You never look at it again.  It is then, as far as you can tell, "locked."  <_<
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Pat

Just this post to set the record straight.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=2626.msg131751#msg131751

Reply #139 on: October 25, 2009, 05:11:26 pm

"You are using "the meaning of life" in an entirely different way than I am.  In English, at least, that phrase has a specific meaning, and I keep forgetting that you are not a native speaker of the language."

*bows out*

Jaron

Quote from: miglia on November 01, 2009, 12:55:41 AM
Just this post to set the record straight.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=2626.msg131751#msg131751

Reply #139 on: October 25, 2009, 05:11:26 pm

"You are using "the meaning of life" in an entirely different way than I am.  In English, at least, that phrase has a specific meaning, and I keep forgetting that you are not a native speaker of the language."

*bows out*

GET OFF MY FORUM
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Pat

Jaron, what's this? Get online on MSN. We'll discuss this elsewhere.

Jaron

After our msn chat, I've learned miglia is high on sleeping pills and thought he was being deep and philosphical. :rolleyes:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Winkelried

Quote from: citizen k on October 31, 2009, 04:08:46 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 31, 2009, 03:50:37 PM

Want me to hijack it?
Get in line.  :contract:

Ok.

The ACW wasn't really about slavery but tariffs.
The CSA could have won the war by outlasting the Union. They just needed Vicksburg to resist longer and Lee to defeat the AotP at Gettysburg and they could have dictated peace terms to Linconln.
Barbarossa could have been successful if the Germans had concentrated on taking Moscow in '41.

;)