Societies don't have to be secular to be modern

Started by citizen k, October 23, 2009, 02:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Perhaps. I don't think our minds are capable of grasping that issue sufficiently to make comparisons of the sort. Life makes no sense with or without God, it's kind of like you're dividing by zero.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

There's only one poster here with a God complex.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Pat

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2009, 07:38:54 PM
Perhaps. I don't think our minds are capable of grasping that issue sufficiently to make comparisons of the sort.

I feel very capable of making a comparison of that sort.

Everything came from itself = Unlikely

A god came from itself, then created everything = Even more unlikely

QuoteLife makes no sense with or without God, it's kind of like you're dividing by zero.

Okay, sure. Some answers we can not have.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2009, 07:39:08 PM
There's only one poster here with a God complex.

That's only because grumbler's almost as old as He is.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Pat

Btw, did anyone else see the irony of me being accused of the appeal to authority-fallacy just for quoting Freud against religion when religion is the single biggest appeal to authority there is?

Valmy

Quote from: miglia on October 28, 2009, 06:53:00 PM
To employ religion simply as a way to satiate our need for spirituality is to shackle the mind and deprive it of a powerful force of self-improvement.

I guess I missed where I claimed it should be used to satiate a need.  In fact I believe it is a powerful tool to rise above needs and fears and gain insight into what it is you really want to do in your life.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on October 28, 2009, 06:30:20 PM
-A lot of people believe in something.  A lot of those people are even very smart and thoughtful.  While those people might be mistaken on a topic, it doesn't make them idiots or suffering from a delusion.

I beg to differ. It's not an either/or situation. To put forward an example I'm familiar with: I'm a fairly bright person. I have a job that requires significant mental skills and I'm good at it. Yet I behave like an idiot on a regular basis, especially around beautiful women.
You can be deluded or stupid about something even if you are the most intelligent person in the world, just as you can be reasonable or unreasonable at the same time. That's just how our brains work.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: miglia on October 28, 2009, 09:59:14 PM
Btw, did anyone else see the irony of me being accused of the appeal to authority-fallacy just for quoting Freud against religion when religion is the single biggest appeal to authority there is?

No. You griping about it when Grumbler is also an atheist is a bit ironic though.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2009, 04:29:09 PM
Defenestration is a lot less impressive of a word if you've been educated in French.

:yes:

grumbler

Defenestration is a lot less impressive of a word if you've been educated in French.
"Impressive of a word"???  Must be that French education!  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: miglia on October 28, 2009, 09:59:14 PM
Ah, the fallacy of the red herring!  :P  Or is it an Appeal to Pity?

If someone else is fallaciously appealing to authority when you do so, that does not make your fallacious appeal to authority valid.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2009, 06:26:27 AM
"Impressive of a word"???  Must be that French education!  :P
Indeed.  My entire knowledge of English grammar comes from reading and listening to people talk.  But I'm still better with English than Grey Fox is with French.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.