Societies don't have to be secular to be modern

Started by citizen k, October 23, 2009, 02:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2009, 10:31:40 AM
Quote from: miglia on October 31, 2009, 04:59:41 AM
I believe you used the words "native language", but you did admit to constantly forgetting "english is not [my] native language", so I suppose I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one; maybe you weren't dishonest, but merely forgetful. 
Nope, didn't use either of those phrases earlier.  I really think you are so fixated on me that you are lumping every poster who has disagreed with you into "grumbler."  I have mno idea what your nationality or native language is, and no desire to know.
I dunno.  It sounds like something you would do.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2009, 05:39:25 AM
We never have Napoleonic hijacks. :(

Nappy shouldn't have sent Davout to Hamburg in 1813.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2009, 08:04:38 AM

Fucking A right.
Whole 1813 would have been different if Davout there - imagine him flanking at Bautzen, it would have been all over.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on November 01, 2009, 11:02:01 AM

Fucking A right.
Whole 1813 would have been different if Davout there - imagine him flanking at Bautzen, it would have been all over.

If all I do is imagine him doing it nothing would change in reality.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on November 01, 2009, 11:02:01 AM

Fucking A right.

I'd like to have seen Davout vs Bernadotte. A pissed off bald guy versus a Fake Swede with no military talent.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alatriste

A few comments:

- Hamburg and several nearby strong places, like Stade and Gluckstadt, were vital because they allowed the French to close the Elbe to navigation. During the Napoleonic Wars navigable rivers were equivalent of railroads after the Industrial Revolution, allowing much faster and economic transport (unlike horses, barges don't eat). In 1813 Napoleon dedicated very strong efforts to deny the use of those rivers to the Allies, sending strong garrisons and good generals to Hamburg on the Elbe, Stettin on the Oder, Danzig on the Vistula...

- Don't sell Bernadotte so cheap. He has had precious few friends and an awful lot of enemies that have poured endless abuse on him, from Napoleonic nostalgics to Bourbon Legitimists and Prussian nationalists, but for starters Napoleon saw something special in him, otherwise he wouldn't have allowed Bernadotte to join the 'family'... details are scarce and a bit shady, but it was Napoleon who invited him into the Bonaparte-Clary circle and very probably introduced Bernadotte to DesirĂ©e. 

At the very least he seems to have excelled at administration & diplomacy, the troops he commanded always liked him, and certainly he knew how to be likeable and gain the most improbable friends, as the lasting impression he made on the Swedish in 1807 shows. Besides, his record is significantly lacking in defeats, and his conduct in 1813-14 was actually quite good. True, his opponents were Oudinot, Macdonald and Ney... but let's remember the great Davout didn't exactly smash his opponents up North, the French raw recruits of 1813 simply were too green to be of much use, and Napoleon was siphoning the best of them for his own army.     

- Which brings us to Davout. There is no doubt he was one of the best generals Napoleon had, and probably the most faithful and loyal to him, but still Napoleon didn't send him to Spain and didn't listen to his advice in Borodino; clearly . In addition, the man had his weak points too: for all the good he did Davout could have disappeared during the Retreat from Moscow; when the army disintegrated and Ney became a giant, Davout, according to our sources, almost became a non entity. Regarding his character, he was cold, distant and a stern disciplinarian, his troops respected him but didn't like him, and between his peers he was so good at making enemies as Bernadotte was at making friends (only half jokingly he has been called the model after which German generals were made after 1815).   

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on November 02, 2009, 04:10:46 AM
A few comments:

- Hamburg and several nearby strong places, like Stade and Gluckstadt, were vital because they allowed the French to close the Elbe to navigation. During the Napoleonic Wars navigable rivers were equivalent of railroads after the Industrial Revolution, allowing much faster and economic transport (unlike horses, barges don't eat). In 1813 Napoleon dedicated very strong efforts to deny the use of those rivers to the Allies, sending strong garrisons and good generals to Hamburg on the Elbe, Stettin on the Oder, Danzig on the Vistula...

- Don't sell Bernadotte so cheap. He has had precious few friends and an awful lot of enemies that have poured endless abuse on him, from Napoleonic nostalgics to Bourbon Legitimists and Prussian nationalists, but for starters Napoleon saw something special in him, otherwise he wouldn't have allowed Bernadotte to join the 'family'... details are scarce and a bit shady, but it was Napoleon who invited him into the Bonaparte-Clary circle and very probably introduced Bernadotte to DesirĂ©e. 

At the very least he seems to have excelled at administration & diplomacy, the troops he commanded always liked him, and certainly he knew how to be likeable and gain the most improbable friends, as the lasting impression he made on the Swedish in 1807 shows. Besides, his record is significantly lacking in defeats, and his conduct in 1813-14 was actually quite good. True, his opponents were Oudinot, Macdonald and Ney... but let's remember the great Davout didn't exactly smash his opponents up North, the French raw recruits of 1813 simply were too green to be of much use, and Napoleon was siphoning the best of them for his own army.     

- Which brings us to Davout. There is no doubt he was one of the best generals Napoleon had, and probably the most faithful and loyal to him, but still Napoleon didn't send him to Spain and didn't listen to his advice in Borodino; clearly . In addition, the man had his weak points too: for all the good he did Davout could have disappeared during the Retreat from Moscow; when the army disintegrated and Ney became a giant, Davout, according to our sources, almost became a non entity. Regarding his character, he was cold, distant and a stern disciplinarian, his troops respected him but didn't like him, and between his peers he was so good at making enemies as Bernadotte was at making friends (only half jokingly he has been called the model after which German generals were made after 1815). 
Bernadotte's record is spotted with defeats.  :huh:  The rout of his troops at Wagram is just one example.  He was very charasmatic, but not very good as a general.  He did represent the Jacobin wing of French politics, though, and was the best token Jacobin napoleon could find, so he "recruited" him into the family and the Marshalate (sp) - but didn't give himmany military responsibilities.  Barnadotte was an excellent ambassador, though treacherous when his personal goals and those of his master diverged.  Napoleon was almost constantly on the verge of sacking him, but the need to keep a prominent Jacobin close to him deterred him until the Wagram debacle made it clear that Bernadotte would ruin any troops under his command.

Davout is, as you noted, a different kettle of fish.  He was uncharismatic to an extreme, but brilliant at everything he turned his hand to.  Napoelon's problem with Davout was that Davout threatened to be too good and steal the master's thunder.  Davout couldn't be counted on to be personally friendly like Lannes and depreciate his  own work in favor of Napoleon.

The argument that the retreat from Moscow says something negative about Davout because he wasn't Ney amuses me; who did come out of that campaign smelling like a rose, other than Ney?  If the standard of adequacy is "as good a Ney during the retreat from Moscow' then Napoleon was inadequate.

And yes, Davout was smashing his enemies in the North in 1813-1814.  It took him some time to train up his troops, but he won every battle.  Just like he won every other battle in which he commanded - and remember that the French last lost a battle when Davout was present in 1797.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Since I often find myself contemplating whether or not Davout was a divine figure this hijack makes perfect sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2009, 10:16:20 AM
Since I often find myself contemplating whether or not Davout was a divine figure this hijack makes perfect sense.
Davout was both good and lucky.  For a general, that is close to "divine."  :D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Would that make you a devout devotee of Davout?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Davout was on the losing side that makes him both unlucky (for being on the wrong side) and not very good (at either getting his side to win or picking the winning side).

At the end of the game

Bernadotte - King of Sweden and Norway
Davoust - Mayor of a Paris Suburb and his name misspelled on the Arc-du-Triomphe

I suspect Bernadotte has more VP.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on November 02, 2009, 11:55:32 AM
Davoust - Mayor of a Paris Suburb and his name misspelled on the Arc-du-Triomphe

Mayor of a Paris Suburb > King of Sweden and Norway.

Winner = Davout
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on November 02, 2009, 11:55:32 AM
Davout was on the losing side that makes him both unlucky (for being on the wrong side) and not very good (at either getting his side to win or picking the winning side).

At the end of the game

I suspect Bernadotte has more VP.
Nope.  In what matters, the results are a tie:
Davout:  dead
Bernie: dead
All VP are lost with death.

If VPs were posthumously granted for hotness of great-whatever-daughters, Bernie would win, though.

Bayraktar!

Viking

If they had met post war Davout would have had to bow before Kung Karl XIV Johan av Sverige och Karl III Johan av Norge.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.