And we're back!

Main Menu

Freedom Tower is now WTC 1

Started by DGuller, March 27, 2009, 04:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

QuoteOutcry after new Ground Zero tower loses 'Freedom'
Fri Mar 27, 11:00 am ET
NEW YORK (AFP) – The owners of the skyscraper being built at Ground Zero ran into controversy on Friday with the decision to strip the building of its patriotic unofficial name "Freedom Tower."

"No more freedom," read the front page of the Daily News, declaring in an editorial that the site's owner, the New York and New Jersey Port Authority, was "erasing history."

"Freedom is out of fashion at Ground Zero," rival tabloid the New York Post said.

The Port Authority announced that the planned 1,776-foot building, now barely above its foundations, will instead be known by the same name as one of the twin towers destroyed in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks: One World Trade Center.

Port Authority Chairman Anthony Coscia made the announcement Thursday, saying: "As we market the building we will ensure that the building is presented in the best possible way.... One World Trade Center is its address, it's the one that we are using."

The spat coincided with the signing on Thursday of the building's first commercial tenant -- a 21-year deal with China's Vantone Industrial Company.

The Chinese company will take up the entire 65th and 69th floors and part of the 64th with a business and cultural facility dubbed the China Center.

Following a series of delays, the building is not scheduled to be ready for occupancy until 2014.

Susan Regenhard, the mother of one of the firefighters killed on 9/11, along with nearly 3,000 other people, said the Port Authority cared about marketing more than memories.

"It's all about marketing, all about PR, all about them making money," Regenhard told AFP.

Regenhard said she was never a fan of the "Freedom Tower" name because the the mammoth project is allegedly riddled with unsafe work.

"What's in a name? It's about the nature of these buildings," she said. "This is the number one terrorist target in the world."

Former New York Governor George Pataki, first to coin the name "Freedom Tower," reacted defiantly.

"The Freedom Tower isn't going to be One World Trade Center, it's going to be the Freedom Tower," he said in comments broadcast on NY1 television.

"I think One and Two World Trade Center are sacred names which should never be used again," said Pataki.

This is a major milestone, and a very welcome one indeed.  I always despised the gross overuse and misuse of the word "freedom" after 9/11, and how it became closely associated with mindless patriotism.  I feel like it cheapens the concept behind the word.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Neil

You can't have the Chinese renting space in the Freedom Tower, so a name change was necessary.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Does anybody know if the new WTC will be taller or shorter than the old and if it has more or less office space than the old?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

I figured they'd eventually change the name to French Tower. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Viking on March 27, 2009, 10:21:42 PM
Does anybody know if the new WTC will be taller or shorter than the old and if it has more or less office space than the old?

I only know that it'll be 1776 ft. tall.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Viking on March 27, 2009, 10:21:42 PM
Taller. 1,368 ft. was the height of the slightly taller tower. I don't know about office space; it sounds like the new WTC 1 is going to have more nonstandard-height mezzanine floors.
Experience bij!

dps

QuoteRegenhard said she was never a fan of the "Freedom Tower" name because the the mammoth project is allegedly riddled with unsafe work.

I don't guess "Might Fall Down Without Being Hit by an Airliner Tower" would be considered appropriate.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: dps on March 28, 2009, 12:57:49 AM
QuoteRegenhard said she was never a fan of the "Freedom Tower" name because the the mammoth project is allegedly riddled with unsafe work.

I don't guess "Might Fall Down Without Being Hit by an Airliner Tower" would be considered appropriate.
:lol: Forget "Tower," even; the tower's new name should just be "JENGA!"
Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on March 27, 2009, 10:23:09 PM
I figured they'd eventually change the name to French Tower. :(
That would sound like some elaborate sex position.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2009, 04:32:18 PM
Freedom Tower was retarded.

:yes:

Its the kind of thing that makes the world laugh at America. Good you've removed it.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Laugh at America? Why laugh when it your countries are being assimilated into the collective? It is inevitable.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

Quote"I think One and Two World Trade Center are sacred names which should never be used again," said Pataki.
You just said them!  Sacrilege! 

Actually I don't think it makes sense to call the building 1 WTC for the simple reason that there isn't a World Trade Center anymore.  Why not just call it ___ West Street?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 28, 2009, 09:51:54 AM
Quote"I think One and Two World Trade Center are sacred names which should never be used again," said Pataki.
You just said them!  Sacrilege! 

Actually I don't think it makes sense to call the building 1 WTC for the simple reason that there isn't a World Trade Center anymore.  Why not just call it ___ West Street?
Because towers invariably have names.  350 Fifth Avenue doesn't mean anything to most people,
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.