News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Freedom Tower is now WTC 1

Started by DGuller, March 27, 2009, 04:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: dps on March 28, 2009, 12:57:49 AM
QuoteRegenhard said she was never a fan of the "Freedom Tower" name because the the mammoth project is allegedly riddled with unsafe work.

I don't guess "Might Fall Down Without Being Hit by an Airliner Tower" would be considered appropriate.

The "Nothing Left to Lose Tower" would be a good name. :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

FunkMonk

This is an OUTRAGE. Have we learned NOTHING from 9/11? Congress should MANDATE the word FREEDOM in this new tower's name. By God!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

Where's that lovely "I'm falling for you" pic?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DisturbedPervert

The Port Authority announced that the planned 1,776-foot building, now barely above its foundations

That's all they've done?  They've almost finished the Burj Dubai and that was started in 2004.

jimmy olsen

Never was a fan of the name, but if the Chinese are behind this then I'm against the change.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 28, 2009, 10:53:23 AM
The Port Authority announced that the planned 1,776-foot building, now barely above its foundations

That's all they've done?  They've almost finished the Burj Dubai and that was started in 2004.
Americans aren't very good at building.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Camper

There were dozens of lawsuits to get through before they could start. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2009, 12:11:33 PM

Americans aren't very good at building.

It isn't that we aren't good at building, it is that we have too many lawyers.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

...and not enough Indonesian slave labor. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fireblade

It's things like this that makes me remember why I hate Yankees.

DGuller

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGullerWere those done before 9/11?

Yup, I'm surprised you haven't seen them before.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2009, 10:16:41 AM
Because towers invariably have names.  350 Fifth Avenue doesn't mean anything to most people,

Not invariably.  Several iconic NYC properties are known by their street addresses:  1 Central Park West (aka Time Warner Center); 11 Wall Street (shorn of the street number this has become a moniker for the entire financial system of the US); 1 Sutton Place South; 9 West (57th) (aka Solow Building); 15 Central Park West;  960 Fifth Avenue; 1 Fifth Avenue; 720 Park
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson