News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Freedom Tower is now WTC 1

Started by DGuller, March 27, 2009, 04:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 28, 2009, 01:50:51 PM
Quote from: DGullerWere those done before 9/11?

Yup, I'm surprised you haven't seen them before.
:face:

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 28, 2009, 02:26:27 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2009, 10:16:41 AM
Because towers invariably have names.  350 Fifth Avenue doesn't mean anything to most people,

Not invariably.  Several iconic NYC properties are known by their street addresses:  1 Central Park West (aka Time Warner Center); 11 Wall Street (shorn of the street number this has become a moniker for the entire financial system of the US); 1 Sutton Place South; 9 West (57th) (aka Solow Building); 15 Central Park West;  960 Fifth Avenue; 1 Fifth Avenue; 720 Park
Actually, the Time Warner Center kinda goes where I want to go with this:  It's all about the marketing.  TWC is marketed as '1 Central Park', when its real address is 10 Columbus Circle, and 1 Central Park West is the address of a building across the street.  When you build a prestige tower, you give it a name that'll stand out.  Looking at the top skyscrapers, almost all of them are named.

Most of those buildings you mentioned aren't skyscrapers.  Being an icon is one thing, but a skyscraper is in a whole different class.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Skyscraper is a retarded name to begin with.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on March 29, 2009, 06:32:19 PM
Skyscraper is a retarded name to begin with.
What makes you say that?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2009, 06:33:36 PM
What makes you say that?
Third World types are notoriously literal.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2009, 07:19:09 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2009, 06:33:36 PM
What makes you say that?
Third World types are notoriously literal.
Skyscraper is a rather literal metaphor though, I don't understand his objection.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

To really think about it skyscraper is a pretty damn cool term really. Literal terms usually aren't.

Also; is it just me finds it a little bit odd they're yammering about freedom and 1776 and all that when Britain is America's closest ally against the Islamicists right now? We don't care of course but still, it is kinda going after your own team.
██████
██████
██████

Octavian

Quote from: Tyr on March 30, 2009, 05:32:23 AM
To really think about it skyscraper is a pretty damn cool term really. Literal terms usually aren't.

Also; is it just me finds it a little bit odd they're yammering about freedom and 1776 and all that when Britain is America's closest ally against the Islamicists right now? We don't care of course but still, it is kinda going after your own team.

1776 is a wonderful year as it marks the birth of freedom and the attempt by Britain to kill this newborn child of the west. Thankfully they happily failed thus eventually ensuing freedom for us all.

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Valmy

It was actually a German who came up with that idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Yeah, that would be as bad as if Britain had made a film version of one of Shakespeare's anti-French plays, like Henry V, during the Second World War while their ally, France, was occupied by the Axis.   
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Ba-zing.

And that Henry V is superior to the newer one.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on March 30, 2009, 08:14:15 AM

Yeah, that would be as bad as if Britain had made a film version of one of Shakespeare's anti-French plays, like Henry V, during the Second World War while their ally, France, was occupied by the Axis.   
Sort of the same thing yeah.
But I suppose there you could read it as the Valois kings=Vichy whilst De Gaul was Burgundy or somesuch.
And of course I never said it was a big deal, just a minor thinking issue.

(and edditing messages on this board is a bitch)
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

As far as i can tell, only you are yammering on about 1776 being somehow anti-British, as opposed to being the highest expression of British political ideals in opposition to a German monarch and his cronies. 1776 and all that is something any Brit with a solid understanding of history should think a terrific thing, just as any American with a solid understanding of history is thankful that the two invasions of Quebec failed and Canada went on to become an independent nation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2009, 08:21:47 AM

As far as i can tell, only you are yammering on about 1776 being somehow anti-British, as opposed to being the highest expression of British political ideals in opposition to a German monarch and his cronies. 1776 and all that is something any Brit with a solid understanding of history should think a terrific thing, just as any American with a solid understanding of history is thankful that the two invasions of Quebec failed and Canada went on to become an independent nation.
Öh fuck off.
I said it once as a minor pondering issue, perhaps with a slight dose of irony, I certainly am not yammering on about it being anti-British.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM