News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama calls for $250 payments to seniors

Started by garbon, October 15, 2009, 12:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2009, 08:30:07 AM
The recession pretty much devastated any chance of social security being privatized for the next decade or two, didn't it?  I mean, I'm sure that there are a few free market ideologues who think it's a good idea, but the general population must be unconvinced at this point.
20 years sounds about right to me.

KRonn

Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2009, 08:30:07 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2009, 07:48:23 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2009, 07:47:11 AM
Highest mortality rate of any age group.
Don't need the money if you're dead.

We're seeing the flip side of the social security privatization debate in action here.
The recession pretty much devastated any chance of social security being privatized for the next decade or two, didn't it?  I mean, I'm sure that there are a few free market ideologues who think it's a good idea, but the general population must be unconvinced at this point.
I'd tend to agree on that too. But Social Security is one of the next big and tough issues to hit, and likely Pres Obama will try and take that on as well. Just like Pres Bush found though, that will be another partisan food fight. Soc Sec might have been ok, not sure, if the money that had been paid in hadn't gone into the general funds and used by govt spending elsewhere. The IOU's the govt owes to Soc Sec is a huge amount; I forget how much but it's a figure that the govt probably can't even repay very easily. So I'd have to say that basically our legislators helped, again, to screw that program up.

I'm kind of thinking that something along the lines of expanding IRAs, 401Ks, and other retirement accounts could be implemented, and that all becomes the primary retirement funding for people, in time. And retirees wouldn't have to so heavily rely on govt, but would be eligible for govt funds based on need. But that the system should be set up for people to be able to have more chance of retiring on their own funds. It's been the opposite way for a while, reliance on govt first, though the various private retirement accounts have been in place for the last couple of decades and gives good encouragement to save for retirement.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

I'm okay with this only as long as they keep the tax deduction for pet medical expenses in the current healthscare bill :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2009, 07:55:35 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 15, 2009, 07:52:33 AM
many seniors supplement their income with something like ownership rights, investments, or rentals.

And many don't.

But they all get another $13 billion dollar handout.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Yeah, it's not like they aren't already getting more than they put in, now they're getting a raise.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2009, 10:51:33 AM
many seniors supplement their income with something like ownership rights, investments, or rentals.

And many don't.

I know that's a few more shillings your precious Wall Street tycoons won't get in tax-supported bonuses this year but, as opposed to you, I'd rather see the elderly get a little help for a change instead of your boys down on Wall Street.

Berkut: Hating old people since the Reagan Administration.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2009, 12:17:19 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2009, 10:51:33 AM

And many don't.

I know that's a few more shillings your precious Wall Street tycoons won't get in tax-supported bonuses this year but, as opposed to you, I'd rather see the elderly get a little help for a change instead of your boys down on Wall Street.

Berkut: Hating old people since the Reagan Administration.

But the money won't be coming from the boys down on Wall Street, it will be coming from us.

In fact, what it really means is that a group of people who are probably more well off than the average will be getting money for no particular reason, since in fact their costs of living have not risen.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned