And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama calls for $250 payments to seniors

Started by garbon, October 15, 2009, 12:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2009, 07:43:27 AM
Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2009, 07:42:27 AM
Are old people really the poorest segment of the population, as the media and Congress's actions seem to often suggest?
Lowest poverty rate of any age group.

Highest mortality rate of any age group.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2009, 07:47:11 AM
Don't need the money if you're dead.

We're seeing the flip side of the social security privatization debate in action here.

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on October 15, 2009, 07:46:20 AM
No, but they're the segment of the population which votes in greatest number.
I was trying to provoke someone else into saying this. :goodboy:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 15, 2009, 07:35:06 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 15, 2009, 07:32:45 AM
Just FYI, if you give them $250 this year, they will want more next year or they will hate you. Trust me.

They're geriatrics, not gypsies. :contract:

Yeah I know. :P

Here, over-the-top pension raises were followed by the "13th month" payment, and the following election campaign  had the issue of wether there is need for a 15th month payment, or 14th month is enough.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2009, 07:48:23 AM

We're seeing the flip side of the social security privatization debate in action here.

No we're not.  We're seeing your typical GOP dismissal of the helpless.

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2009, 07:48:45 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 15, 2009, 07:46:20 AM
No, but they're the segment of the population which votes in greatest number.
I was trying to provoke someone else into saying this. :goodboy:

I was provoked.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2009, 07:49:19 AM
No we're not.  We're seeing your typical GOP dismissal of the helpless.
The GOP cares about the helpless, just as long as they've not yet been born.  :cool:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2009, 07:42:27 AM
Are old people really the poorest segment of the population, as the media and Congress's actions seem to often suggest?

Not necessarily; many seniors supplement their income with something like ownership rights, investments, or rentals.

Living on social security as sole source of income, however, is poverty.  It's probably about comparable to unemployment during the first ten years of working life; utilities aren't even covered and are usually paid for through relief programs offered by utility companies themselves (partial-pay or waiver programs for heating, no-disconnect programs offered by telephone and electric companies, etc.).
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 15, 2009, 07:52:33 AM
many seniors supplement their income with something like ownership rights, investments, or rentals.

And many don't.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2009, 07:28:41 AM
Smells like a bribe for health care reform.

Yeah because it is the Seniors who really need to get on board with that.

I have to say that now that the stock market is above 10,000 again and prices are starting to go up the government needs to hold back now.   If they keep pouring money into the economy inflation will result.  Now is the time to think about how we are going to pay back the money we borrowed and  get ready for the next time we need to intervene.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2009, 07:55:35 AM
many seniors supplement their income with something like ownership rights, investments, or rentals.

And many don't.

Did you read the second half of my post before quoting?
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 15, 2009, 08:01:45 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2009, 07:55:35 AM

And many don't.

Did you read the second half of my post before quoting?

Yes, but it doesn't make my post as effective.  Duh.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2009, 07:57:10 AM
Now is the time to think about how we are going to pay back the money we borrowed
:huh: Dude, it's Congress.  :(

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2009, 08:04:38 AM
:huh: Dude, it's Congress.  :(

I still like to give my opinion on what we should be doing even though it is futile :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2009, 07:48:23 AM

The recession pretty much devastated any chance of social security being privatized for the next decade or two, didn't it?  I mean, I'm sure that there are a few free market ideologues who think it's a good idea, but the general population must be unconvinced at this point.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.