MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2009, 10:27:49 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on October 15, 2009, 10:22:29 PM
No, you were only pretending to be gay.
I'm Martinus? :unsure:

I thought Martinus was definitely gay, but pretending to be a lawyer. :unsure:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 15, 2009, 11:14:39 PM
First off, a little mythbusting on "tax-free Social Security:" http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=179091,00.html

You make over the base amount, you pay income tax, Social Security or work.  The percentage of Americans choosing to stay in the workforce past retirement age because they'd be financially insecure is also rising, as is the percentage of senior citizens attending college or vocational training programs.  Also, take it from a guy who dealt with loads of transit agency dispatchers, NO transit company offers free transportation for seniors; reduced fare, yes, but never free.
So, OK, so, and so what?  No one has even mentioned any myth of tax free Social Security.  A rising percentage of seniors attending classes is *not* a sign of penury and need, it's a sign of disposable income and free time.

Third time's a charm: what did you mean by weasel words?

garbon

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 15, 2009, 11:16:32 PM
I thought Martinus was definitely gay, but pretending to be a lawyer. :unsure:

He doesn't have gay sex. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2009, 11:19:44 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 15, 2009, 11:14:39 PM
First off, a little mythbusting on "tax-free Social Security:" http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=179091,00.html

You make over the base amount, you pay income tax, Social Security or work.  The percentage of Americans choosing to stay in the workforce past retirement age because they'd be financially insecure is also rising, as is the percentage of senior citizens attending college or vocational training programs.  Also, take it from a guy who dealt with loads of transit agency dispatchers, NO transit company offers free transportation for seniors; reduced fare, yes, but never free.
So, OK, so, and so what?  No one has even mentioned any myth of tax free Social Security.  A rising percentage of seniors attending classes is *not* a sign of penury and need, it's a sign of disposable income and free time.

Third time's a charm: what did you mean by weasel words?

Your little "great majority of seniors have retirement savings" comment, which is still suspect.

I mentioned the income tax situation because you brought payroll taxes into it.  Also, I shouldn't have to point out that real cost of living varies from market to market, and can easily hit 200-300% of the "poverty line" that the government uses in its census calculations.
Experience bij!

MadBurgerMaker

garbon

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 15, 2009, 11:30:51 PM
Oh yeah.  Forgot about that.  Well......

I wouldn't be surprised if he is really a 17 year old girl named Millicent.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 15, 2009, 11:26:40 PM
Your little "great majority of seniors have retirement savings" comment, which is still suspect.

I mentioned the income tax situation because you brought payroll taxes into it.  Also, I shouldn't have to point out that real cost of living varies from market to market, and can easily hit 200-300% of the "poverty line" that the government uses in its census calculations.
I'll have to remember your definition of weasel words the next time you bring up an undocumented claim.

Payroll taxes are Social Security and Medicare contributions.  I.e. non-income taxes. 

Yes, cost of living varies, and can easily hit 50% of the government poverty line.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2009, 11:33:24 PM
I'll have to remember your definition of weasel words the next time you bring up an undocumented claim.

Payroll taxes are Social Security and Medicare contributions.  I.e. non-income taxes. 

Yes, cost of living varies, and can easily hit 50% of the government poverty line.

Non-income, yes, but marginal.  FICA is by far the largest withholding, and Medicare contributions are only on the first $104K, to boot, so there's a pretty good percentage of American households that pay comparatively less for Medicare.

And if I rebut you with an unverifiable claim, feel free to call me out on it.
Experience bij!

garbon

Meanwhile in a dialogue with Katrina victims:

Quote"I expected as much from the Bush administration, but why are we still being nickeled and dimed in our recovery?" asked Gabriel Bordenave, 29, of New Orleans.

"I wish I could write a blank check," Obama replied, promoting Bordenave to shout back, "Why not?"

Indeed, sir, why not? :bowler: