Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the greater visionary?

Jules Verne
25 (56.8%)
HG Wells
19 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

CountDeMoney

Both 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Time Machine are on cable on different channels.  Hence, the reason for the question.

Choose and post your reasons.

Scipio

Jules Verne.  French, not a communist, and was not egotistical enough to lose Rebecca Wells.

Also, better in translation than Wells is in the original.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

Wells. Verne was too grounded in actual science.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I thought Verne was really dry.  He spent a lot of  time talking about damned fish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

HG because he got lot's of chicks and because Verne was just a frog in the end.
PDH!

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 09, 2009, 09:30:56 PM
Wells. Verne was too grounded in actual science.

My first thought was Wells, but in thinking about it, I wasn't sure why.  I think you nailed it, though.

The Larch

Verne, because he actually predicted things that ended up appearing. And because he included my hometown in 20.000 leagues under the sea.

garbon

Verne! Plus I like Martha Wells better than H.G.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

Wells, because he predicted modern warfare.
See: The Shape of Things to Come

The Brain

Quickly voted Verne, but now doubt is eating away at me. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: citizen k on October 10, 2009, 12:56:59 AM
Wells, because he predicted modern warfare.
See: The Shape of Things to Come

Is that the one with the air commies?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Pretty close but went for Wells. As others have said I think Verne focussed very much on the science; whereas Wells went deeper into the social consequences.

Two excellent and approachable authors, I read them a lot between 14-18 years old. Is it still the case that the average teenage nerd reads a lot of their output?

Alatriste

Apples and oranges. Most of Verne novels happen in the present or only a few years in the future, most of Wells works either happen in a distant future or include aliens (as far as I know, Verne never used aliens). Voted Verne, because I like his solid scientific base.

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Alexandru H.

Voted for Jules Verne. I basically grew up with his books. Great, Great author.