Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the greater visionary?

Jules Verne
25 (56.8%)
HG Wells
19 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Jaron

Vernes writing is very dry, boring and hard to read.

HG is the shit.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josquius

Wells all the way for me.
His stuff was both more representative of science fiction to come and of real world developments, depending on his mood. (land dreadnoughts).

Quote from: Scipio on October 09, 2009, 09:20:32 PM
Jules Verne.  French, not a communist, and was not egotistical enough to lose Rebecca Wells.

Also, better in translation than Wells is in the original.
Wells wasn't communist either, he was a Fabian  :bowler:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I'm not sure.  I prefer Verne, though, so I voted for him.
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

Quote from: Tyr on October 10, 2009, 08:04:31 AM
Wells all the way for me.
His stuff was both more representative of science fiction to come and of real world developments, depending on his mood. (land dreadnoughts).

Quote from: Scipio on October 09, 2009, 09:20:32 PM
Jules Verne.  French, not a communist, and was not egotistical enough to lose Rebecca Wells.

Also, better in translation than Wells is in the original.
Wells wasn't communist either, he was a Fabian  :bowler:
Degrees of potty leftist thinking don't matter.  Also, Wells was an egomaniac.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 10, 2009, 05:54:09 AM
Is it still the case that the average teenage nerd reads a lot of their output?

Unfortunately, no.  It's all Turtledove now.

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on October 10, 2009, 06:02:15 AM
... Voted Verne, because I like his solid scientific base.
Not exactly "solid" given the hollow earth and temperatures not rising with depth (despite Verne knowing that all scientific data said this was true).

I would agree that Verne ignored more science than Wells ever knew, but his style is so dull it is almost like he was deliberately making his books unreadable (which he wasn't, of course - he wrote exactly like readers of his time expected a writer to write, but still...)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

After not very much reflection, I voted HG Wells, as he's considered the father of modern wargaming.

Threviel

I heard somewhere that the reason that Verne isn't so popular in the english-speaking world is that the translations are atrociously bad.

Any truth to that?

BuddhaRhubarb

Voted Verne, though I'm entirely under read in both their Canons. Couldn't get into either as a kid, and have never really had an interest in looking back.
:p

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Threviel on October 10, 2009, 12:02:24 PM
I heard somewhere that the reason that Verne isn't so popular in the english-speaking world is that the translations are atrociously bad.

Any truth to that?
If you mean the translations suck out whatever life was in the words then yes.  Yes, there is.
PDH!

Razgovory

Any truth to that?

It's possible.  I just know he's really dull.  At least the copy of 20,000 leagues under the sea I had was.  It's the only one I've read.  I've read a few of Welles (Time machine, War of the Worlds, a few short stories.)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on October 10, 2009, 03:14:47 PM

Any truth to that?

It's possible.  I just know he's really dull.  At least the copy of 20,000 leagues under the sea I had was.  It's the only one I've read.  I've read a few of Welles (Time machine, War of the Worlds, a few short stories.)

Classics Illustrated is your friend. I used to read these like candy a a kid.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alexandru H.

Verne is not boring at all.

Ok, some novels are. But some are worthy of reading even today. Like "Captain Hatteras", "Hector Servadac", "The Lighthouse at the End of the World", "The Golden Volcano" or "Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea".

Unfortunately, many are indeed quite boring for the modern-day reader. In this category are some of his famous works: "In Search of the Castaways", "Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon" etc...