Who was the greater visionary?

Jules Verne
25 (56.8%)
HG Wells
19 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Duque de Bragança

Verne bien sûr
Reading it in the original text helps...

katmai

HG all the way.

Jules sucks a big one.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Slargos

Greater as in "who made the most grandiose speculative prose" or "who was more accurate in their predictions"?

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on October 10, 2009, 03:49:55 AM
Quote from: citizen k on October 10, 2009, 12:56:59 AM
Wells, because he predicted modern warfare.
See: The Shape of Things to Come

Is that the one with the air commies?

Yes, iirc.  He predicted air warfare about as well as Douhet did. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: Alexandru H. on October 10, 2009, 04:25:38 PM
Verne is not boring at all.

Ok, some novels are. But some are worthy of reading even today. Like "Captain Hatteras", "Hector Servadac", "The Lighthouse at the End of the World", "The Golden Volcano" or "Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea".

Unfortunately, many are indeed quite boring for the modern-day reader. In this category are some of his famous works: "In Search of the Castaways", "Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon" etc...
Verne wayyyy over-describes by modern literary standards.  His imagination was excellent, but his style didn't have any legs at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 10, 2009, 05:01:09 PM
Verne bien sûr
Reading it in the original text helps...

But it's in a dead language...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2009, 12:22:33 AM
Verne, because he actually predicted things that ended up appearing.

Verne for the same reason.

Oh and because he was :frog: so therefore superior in all things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Also underread in both Verne and Wells, but the style of Verne's derivative works pwns that of Wells'. :contract:
Experience bij!

Rasputin

Null vote: Ayn Rand's visions have come to pass. Wells and Verne were mere ham and eggers when it came to predicting the future.
Who is John Galt?

The Brain

Can't we just ban all suck puppets?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Ban sugar gliders too while we're at it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Rasputin

Who is John Galt?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Rasputin

Who is John Galt?