25 (56.8%)
HG Wells
19 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2009, 09:12:12 PM
Both 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Time Machine are on cable on different channels.  Hence, the reason for the question.

Choose and post your reasons.
The guy who invented dual tuner DVR is the greatest visionary of them all.

Alatriste

Quote from: Rasputin on October 11, 2009, 01:00:43 PM
Null vote: Ayn Rand's visions have come to pass. Wells and Verne were mere ham and eggers when it came to predicting the future.

Really? Mind to give us an example? Because last time I checked Atlas hadn't shrugged and übermenschen still went to jail if they raped women 'à la Fountainhead'... Now, talking seriously, I think the biggest success positivism has reached in recent years is inspiring Bioshock, and that, while worthy, isn't terribly serious.

The Brain

Farism has a much more solid track record.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on October 11, 2009, 02:23:08 PM
Null vote: Ayn Rand's visions have come to pass. Wells and Verne were mere ham and eggers when it came to predicting the future.

Really? Mind to give us an example? Because last time I checked Atlas hadn't shrugged and übermenschen still went to jail if they raped women 'à la Fountainhead'... Now, talking seriously, I think the biggest success positivism has reached in recent years is inspiring Bioshock, and that, while worthy, isn't terribly serious.
I daresay its post was tongue in cheek.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

übermenschen still went to jail if they raped women 'à la Fountainhead'...

Not when the woman doesn't report it...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I wonder.  If Atlas shrugged off the sky wouldn't he be crushed along with the rest of world?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Rasputin

Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2009, 02:27:54 PM

Its?

:cry:
Who is John Galt?

citizen k

Quote from: Alatriste on October 11, 2009, 02:23:08 PM...übermenschen still went to jail if they raped women
Polanski isn't an übermensch.  :cry:

Alatriste

Quote from: Rasputin on October 11, 2009, 02:43:34 PM

Its?

I daresay Grumbler thinks you are an A.I. That or perhaps an hermaphrodite (does English grammar use 'its' for bisexual organisms?  :P )

Rasputin

Quote from: Alatriste on October 11, 2009, 05:35:57 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 11, 2009, 02:43:34 PM

Its?

I daresay Grumbler thinks you are an A.I. That or perhaps an hermaphrodite (does English grammar use 'its' for bisexual organisms?  :P )

A.I.?

No; it takes genuine skill and charisma to be this larger than life, even on the internet.  One couldn't stay in character long enough were this one's sock puppet.

Who is John Galt?

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on October 11, 2009, 05:35:57 PM
For some things gender distinctions are unimportant.  One doesn't refer to n00bs or insects by gender.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I am pleased with how that turned out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Rasputin on October 11, 2009, 07:35:31 PM
No; it takes genuine skill and charisma to be this larger than life, even on the internet.  One couldn't stay in character long enough were this one's sock puppet.

So who are you?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: citizen k on October 10, 2009, 12:56:59 AM
Wells, because he predicted modern warfare.
See: The Shape of Things to Come

Ditto
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point