News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Offseason Thread

Started by Vince, March 10, 2009, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strix

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2009, 01:47:11 PM
I have to say that watching my son learn fundamentals of football gives me a whole new appreciation for the sport and the athleticism needed to play it.

To be honest, athleticism is the easiest part of the game. It really isn't that hard to find people athletic enough to play it. Intelligence and determination is what separates good players from bad players. The determination to practice, practice, and practice some more along with the various "optional" conditioning isn't something every player is prepared to do. And if you are able to find a person with both the athleticism and the determination required than you have to find someone with the intelligence to along with it. What good is running a 4.40 if you can't run a proper route or understand how the audible just called changes the play?

I suppose, if you are big enough than you don't need any of the three and can be a tackle or nose guard but beyond that you better possess some degree of athleticism, determination, or intelligence otherwise you'll be the guy looking like a jack ass during film review after the game.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe Ravens worked out free-agent wide receiver David Tyree on Tuesday, general manager Ozzie Newsome confirmed to the team's Web site.

Tyree, 29, is taking a physical, which could be the final step to the Ravens signing him. This marks the Ravens' first attempt to upgrade their wide receiver group since the final major cutdown last weekend.

Tyree was cut by the New York Giants just two years after being one of their Super Bowl stars. The 6-foot, 206-pound receiver is best known for making the "helmet catch" on the Giants' game-winning drive to beat the New England Patriots in February 2008.

Last season, Tyree was placed on injured reserve for a knee injury suffered during training camp. A sixth-round pick in 2003, he has 54 receptions in 73 career games.

The Ravens currently have four receivers on their roster: Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton, Demetrius Williams and Kelley Washington.

When asked Monday whether the Ravens were in talks to add another wide receiver, coach John Harbaugh said, "We're always in talks to make our team better. You know that's the answer I'm going to give you. We can play with four [receivers], because with our offense, we can put any number of players out there that we want. It's a little more difficult on defense. The team puts four wide receivers out there, or five wide receivers, you've got to be able to match. On offense, we can put one wide receiver out there if we want, if we need to, and we've got some flexibility with our players and guys we can put on the field."

All things considered, I think they still should've made a play for Brandon Marshall.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2009, 06:03:48 PM
All things considered, I think they still should've made a play for Brandon Marshall.
I sort of agree, but I have the feeling that Denver would have been very demanding.

Question:  Is Michael Crabtree's NFL career over?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Vince

Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2009, 06:34:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2009, 06:03:48 PM
I sort of agree, but I have the feeling that Denver would have been very demanding.

Did it ever begin?

Admiral Yi

I have to say that watching my son learn fundamentals of football gives me a whole new appreciation for the sport and the athleticism needed to play it.
How much football have you played in your life?

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2009, 07:04:32 PM
Quote from: Vince on September 08, 2009, 06:44:26 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2009, 06:34:15 PM

Did it ever begin?
Well, he got drafted.

Fuck it.  Pull an Elway.  Let San Fran dump him on someone else for next year's #1.

CountDeMoney

Hey Neil, check this out.

QuoteRavens' feathered mascots to debut
Zoo training, caring for 2 new birds

Several weeks ago, the Ravens' equipment staff received a package in the mail containing what appeared to be a tiny pair of jockstraps. What the heck, they asked, are we supposed to do with them?

Eventually, someone got word to Gabrielle Dow, the team's vice president of marketing, who told the equipment staff that it wasn't a mistake. They were actually tiny diapers, and the team needed them to outfit two new ravens, not two new Ravens.

Birds. Not football players.

Rise and Conquer - two West African ravens - were purchased by the team recently as part of a partnership with the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore, which will oversee their training and care. The birds will be a prominent part of the team's pre-game festivities and will also make regular appearances in the community.

Although the team did have birds named Rise and Conquer who took part in pre-game festivities, those birds were owned and trained by an Atlanta couple who contracted their use for home games. They had to travel the 575 miles between the two cities for each appearance.

The team couldn't come to an agreement with the birds' owners to continue the relationship, and the original Rise died recently of disease in the ankle joint. Because the birds were so popular with fans, especially kids, the Ravens began to look into acquiring a pair of mascots who could live in Baltimore full time.

The Ravens soon found out they couldn't actually get an animal license in the state of Maryland, so they reached out to the Baltimore zoo, which agreed to form a partnership with the team. Amy Eveleth, the zoo's Embassy Collection manager, agreed to find a pair of baby ravens and train them to interact with people, because the ravens the zoo already owned were far from friendly.

So far it has worked out extremely well. The birds, who are brothers, were born April 16 in Alabama, and Eveleth began training them in Baltimore when they were around 7 weeks old. Rise and Conquer will make their public debut at a news conference today at the Baltimore zoo and attend their first Ravens game Sunday when the team opens against the Kansas City Chiefs. The birds will likely also be on display at the zoo as part of every Purple Friday, in the zoo's Basecamp Discovery exhibit.

"I think the really neat part about it is that the birds are home," Dow said. "Now the fans can see them, and kids can see them when they go to schools. That's what's so important about Amy. Now we're going to train them to be friendly, to be in the public eye, and to see fans on game day. Our fans can be near them and feel their presence."

Rise and Conquer aren't exactly cuddly. Up close, their sharp beaks are close to 3 inches long, and their talons are wiry and intimidating. They devour meatballs, a staple of their zoo diet. But they have a majestic wingspan and you can't help but feel a little bit in awe when Eveleth holds one on her arm.

"They have very different personalities, so it's very different to watch them," Eveleth said. "Rise is pretty timid and hangs back, letting Conquer go at things first. But once he figures out Conquer isn't having a problem, he jumps right in."

As a species, ravens are extremely intelligent, with the ability to recognize faces and learn repeatable behavior. Eveleth and the Embassy staff trained them to remain calm in front of 70,000 screaming fans in part by blasting music played on 98 Rock while the birds are in their cages. They also live next to parrots who squawk constantly.

One thing the birds won't do is fly inside the stadium. Although it is possible to train them to do it, it's extremely stressful to the birds.

Eveleth said she expects the ravens to be extremely popular in the community, probably on a par with the zoo's penguins, who make at least three appearances in the community per week. Fans can have their picture taken with the birds outside the stadium as a part of Ravens Walk, and yes, the birds will be suited up in full Ravens gear.

"They can't wait," Eveleth said. "They have their little outfits all ready. We put little helmets on them with shoulder pads and white pants. It's great."

Neil

Nice.  Nothing beats a good animal mascot.  Just like the Dolphins had, back when they had balls.

Sophie Scholl

Was wondering what happened to the old Rise and Conquer when I saw that they were debuting new ones.  Now I know!  I like the fact that they're local and part of the B'more Zoo now.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

citizen k

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on September 09, 2009, 02:32:05 AM
Was wondering what happened to the old Rise and Conquer when I saw that they were debuting new ones.  Now I know!  I like the fact that they're local and part of the B'more Zoo now.

The Seahawk mascot will eat them for lunch.

Ed Anger

Quoteprobably on a par with the zoo's penguins

Careful now. Rico is nuts.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2009, 08:17:19 PM

Damn.  It makes me wish Daniel Snyder would get some real redskins.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

citizen k

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2009, 08:10:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2009, 08:17:19 PM

Damn.  It makes me wish Daniel Snyder would get some real redskins.

Yeah, and Tampa could hire some Somali pirates.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2009, 06:59:21 PM
How much football have you played in your life?

None.  This is all new to me.  I played round ball.

I have always viewed football in the way strix described above - just a bunch of large men pushing eachother around with a handful of skill positions where athleticism is required.

But what I am learning is that there is a lot of technique and skill required of all positions.