News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Offseason Thread

Started by Vince, March 10, 2009, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Vince Young Texans jersey?  That's just weird.  And he's a divisional opponent, to boot.

College football fans are weird.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

citizen k

A$$hole.

QuoteCurry missing on second day of Seahawks' camp

By GREGG BELL
AP SPORTS WRITER

RENTON, Wash. -- Seahawks top draft choice Aaron Curry remains unsigned and absent on the second day of Seattle's training camp.

Seattle finished the first of two practices Saturday without the No. 4 overall pick.

The Seahawks are counting on Curry to start at outside linebacker.

The team and Curry's representatives continue to negotiate in what Seahawks general manager Tim Ruskell has called a "nonstop" effort.

Ruskell has said the sticking point is Curry's representatives basing their position on the $28 million guaranteed that fifth overall pick Mark Sanchez got from the New York Jets.

The Seahawks believe top quarterbacks traditionally get richer deals than players at other positions.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Neil on August 02, 2009, 11:03:36 AM
Vince Young Texans jersey?  That's just weird.  And he's a divisional opponent, to boot.

I'm inclined to think that dude happened to have that jersey made prior to the draft in anticipation of the Texans picking Vince Young #1, and since authentic Reebok customized jerseys are like $250, it's the only one he's got...so..you know...that's what he has to wear when he checks out TC.

Or he's just a tool.  :P

Neil

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 02, 2009, 07:59:25 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 02, 2009, 11:03:36 AM

I'm inclined to think that dude happened to have that jersey made prior to the draft in anticipation of the Texans picking Vince Young #1, and since authentic Reebok customized jerseys are like $250, it's the only one he's got...so..you know...that's what he has to wear when he checks out TC.

Or he's just a tool.  :P
Only retards thought that the Texans would pick Young.  And it turns out that Mario Williams has performed better than any of the other top 10 picks in that draft, with the possible exception of D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Ed Anger

I see Beanie Wells sprained his ankle already. Enjoy the injuries Cardinals fans.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Strix

Quote from: CBSSportslineALBANY, N.Y. -- Eli Manning has agreed to a new six-year, $97 million contract extension with the New York Giants that will make him the highest-paid player in the NFL with an average salary of roughly $15.3 million.

A person close to the talks who asked not to be identified because the deal was not signed says Manning is guaranteed $35 million under the deal which will keep him with the Giants through the 2015 season.

Manning, who led the Giants to a Super Bowl upset of the New England Patriots in February 2008 and was named the MVP of the game, was in the final year of the contract he signed as the No. 1 overall pick in 2004.

Manning took over as the Giants starter midway through his rookie season and he has led New York to the playoffs in each of the past four seasons.

:bleeding:

He hasn't even cracked the top 10 in Passer Rating in his career during any season and he becomes the highest paid? WTF Giants!

He actually threw less TD's last season than in any season he started.  Granted he cut his interceptions in half but I am not sure that merits being given such a hefty raise. He was still the 11th most intercepted QB last season.

He basically gives you 20-24 TD's and 15-18 INT's a season with a passer rating in the high 70's. I am not sure that even makes him the most valuable player on his team let alone in the NFL.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Neil on August 02, 2009, 08:43:51 PM
Only retards thought that the Texans would pick Young.  And it turns out that Mario Williams has performed better than any of the other top 10 picks in that draft, with the possible exception of D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

To be honest, Ferguson was the only one in that draft that I didn't have to sort of....convince myself....that he'd be useful (for obvious reasons).  Mario Williams wasn't even really on the radar, of course.  It was either Bush, Young, or Ferguson, with Reggie Bush, obviously, being the primary one. 

They did get Eric Winston later (3rd round) in that draft though, and he has become an excellent RT.  They drafted Charles Spencer one pick ahead of Winston to be their LT, but his leg got destroyed by Ron Dayne, and he plays....somewhere else now.

Neil

Quote from: Strix on August 05, 2009, 09:08:11 AM
Quote from: CBSSportslineALBANY, N.Y. -- Eli Manning has agreed to a new six-year, $97 million contract extension with the New York Giants that will make him the highest-paid player in the NFL with an average salary of roughly $15.3 million.

A person close to the talks who asked not to be identified because the deal was not signed says Manning is guaranteed $35 million under the deal which will keep him with the Giants through the 2015 season.

Manning, who led the Giants to a Super Bowl upset of the New England Patriots in February 2008 and was named the MVP of the game, was in the final year of the contract he signed as the No. 1 overall pick in 2004.

Manning took over as the Giants starter midway through his rookie season and he has led New York to the playoffs in each of the past four seasons.

He hasn't even cracked the top 10 in Passer Rating in his career during any season and he becomes the highest paid? WTF Giants!

He actually threw less TD's last season than in any season he started.  Granted he cut his interceptions in half but I am not sure that merits being given such a hefty raise. He was still the 11th most intercepted QB last season.

He basically gives you 20-24 TD's and 15-18 INT's a season with a passer rating in the high 70's. I am not sure that even makes him the most valuable player on his team let alone in the NFL.
Superbowl-winning QBs get a lot of money, especially if their clutch play resulted in the Superbowl win.  People who have their deals done this year make more money than people who got their deals in 04 or 05, like Peyton or Tom Brady.  When their contracts run out after the 2010 season, and assuming they're both still playing at a high level, Eli's deal will look like chickenfeed next to what they'll get.

Besides, look at the Giants.  They don't really have any marquee players.  Their big wideout is done forever.  They have a platoon back system.  Their loudmouth, overrated ex-TE is trying to avoid getting his ass kicked by Drew Brees, and while Boss is good, he's not going to conquer the league or become a national personality.  Their D is full of workmen, but only Pierce really has a big name, and even then he's second-flight.  Eli is the face of the franchise, and so he gets paid extra.

Vince

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 05, 2009, 09:18:07 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 02, 2009, 08:43:51 PM

To be honest, Ferguson was the only one in that draft that I didn't have to sort of....convince myself....that he'd be useful (for obvious reasons).  Mario Williams wasn't even really on the radar, of course.  It was either Bush, Young, or Ferguson, with Reggie Bush, obviously, being the primary one. 

They did get Eric Winston later (3rd round) in that draft though, and he has become an excellent RT.  They drafted Charles Spencer one pick ahead of Winston to be their LT, but his leg got destroyed by Ron Dayne, and he plays....somewhere else now.

I'm a little surprised D'Brick is held in such high regard from that draft class.  Don't get me wrong that's the guy I wanted the Jets to draft and I'm a big proponent of building the lines first but even up until last year there were still annoying Jets fans bitching about passing on Leinhart/Cutler claiming D'Brick was a bust.

Vince

After all the BS the Mannings pulled to get Eli drafted by the Giants I'm not surprised Eli (or maybe Archie?) could convince them to give him an massive extension.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Vince on August 05, 2009, 10:56:31 AM
I'm a little surprised D'Brick is held in such high regard from that draft class.  Don't get me wrong that's the guy I wanted the Jets to draft and I'm a big proponent of building the lines first but even up until last year there were still annoying Jets fans bitching about passing on Leinhart/Cutler claiming D'Brick was a bust.

Well remember, I was looking at it from the perspective of a Texans fan in 2006.  IIRC, their LT in 05 was...I believe that was when they tried to get Chester Pitts to play LT.  He's a guard, not a tackle, and holy shit, it really didn't work out.

Vince

Who knew Vince Young was a part-time comedian?

http://www.esquire.com/features/what-ive-learned/vince-young-biography-0909

QuoteI don't know when I'll start again. But I will be the next black quarterback to win a Super Bowl. And I will be in the Hall of Fame.

ehrie

Quote from: Neil on August 05, 2009, 10:38:53 AM

Superbowl-winning QBs get a lot of money, especially if their clutch play resulted in the Superbowl win.  People who have their deals done this year make more money than people who got their deals in 04 or 05, like Peyton or Tom Brady.  When their contracts run out after the 2010 season, and assuming they're both still playing at a high level, Eli's deal will look like chickenfeed next to what they'll get.

Besides, look at the Giants.  They don't really have any marquee players.  Their big wideout is done forever.  They have a platoon back system.  Their loudmouth, overrated ex-TE is trying to avoid getting his ass kicked by Drew Brees, and while Boss is good, he's not going to conquer the league or become a national personality.  Their D is full of workmen, but only Pierce really has a big name, and even then he's second-flight.  Eli is the face of the franchise, and so he gets paid extra.

Justin Tuck is workman? O_o

MadBurgerMaker

So..the offensive strategy against the Texans looks like it's going to be the Tecmo Bowl style "run backwards -> heave ball as far as possible -> touchdown" type deal.  Dunta Robinson is holding out and Jacques Reeves broke his leg, leaving a bunch of new guy corners.  They're having to bring in washed up type veterans like Deltha O'Neal and Mike McKenzie to at least have some experience out there. :bleeding: