Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2009, 10:22:56 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 30, 2009, 10:18:15 AM
Well, it's a speculation of course, but offspring and the Fade suggest magical (mage's) children. The "canon" ending of DA:O is Morrigan getting pregnant with the Grey Warden to absorb the Archdemon/Old God essence (not to mention the whole set-up screams "sequel!"). So "terrible twos" in relation to this suggests there will be two such children - hence twins.

Maybe we will play one twin against the other (think Baldur's Gate II).

Well I hope there is no "canon" ending and Bioware has new "origins" for the sequel that takes care of the possibe endings to DA1.  They seem to be doing that with ME2 but we will see.  They certainly had a canon version of what happened in BG1 in BG2.

Well, it depends if they would make you play the same character or a new one. If it's the former, then it would be impossible to simulate all possible endings of DA:O.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 30, 2009, 12:35:01 PM
If it's the former, then it would be impossible to simulate all possible endings of DA:O.

I have a hard time believing that would design a game intentionally as part of a series where nothing you do matters in terms of the series.

But obviously you cannot be the same person in DA2 and account for all endings.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Quote from: Grallon on November 30, 2009, 08:50:01 AM
I can't wait to get to Orlais myself.  In the sequel hopefully.

G.
:lol:
The Tevinter Emperor's last name ends in -ian and his queen's name is Vasilisa (Greek for Empress).  If they set it there, my pants shall truly dairy factory. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on November 30, 2009, 06:27:49 PM
:lol:
The Tevinter Emperor's last name ends in -ian and his queen's name is Vasilisa (Greek for Empress).  If they set it there, my pants shall truly dairy factory. 

According to the lead writer the Empire's real world counterpart is the Byzantine Empire....but with Wizards...blood wizards...

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Tevinter_Imperium

heck there is even a great schism with the Chantry.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 30, 2009, 06:52:17 PM
I'm glad I haven't bought it yet then. Bleh.

Very very loosely based...and the Tevinter Imperium is not in the game.  Unless you think the Byzantine Empire was an Empire of Wizardkings.

Jaron

Tevinters association with Byzantium shows a real lack of understanding by the writers on what Byzantium was. I wouldn't worry about it, Ed. I can see the angle they were going for with just about everywhere else: Orlais, Antiva, even Fereldan.

I am not sure where Psellus read about an "emperor" for Tevinter, or his name or queens name. I haven't seen that anywhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if he misread.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

MadImmortalMan

SPOILERS!!!11111 TONS AND TONS OF SPOILERS!!!!!@

Finally got around to beating it. Got the "Easily Distracted" achievement.  :P
I made Alistair king and freed the mages from their fundamentalist oppressors. Stupid Templars caused the mage rebellion with their retarded nazi regime anyhow. The more you tighten your grip Tarkin... I told Morri to take a hike with her archdemon baby idea and got Loghain to do the dragon for me so I can live.
Some things I learned...

Leliana is the most damaging and probably the most effective NPC. With a bow, not daggers. Yeah you read that right. She had about 20% of my party's damage at the end. That little girl is a killing machine. Lel + Marjolane's bow + stealth + arrow of slaying = cheating. From a mile away.

Didn't use Zev much, but the concept is good, and I got him to travel with me at the end. He puts me off a bit though. I don't like the models they use for him. The face has a stupid smile and that combined with his gestures gives me the impression that if I were standing next to him he'd smell like poop. I think he's supposed to be a bit greasy but it's overdone. Maybe I'll do another run using him more after somebody makes a mod that reskins him.

I re-specced Oghren as a dual-wield fighter because I already had Sten as a two hander and because I wanted to get more runes into the fight. Paralyze runes, specifically. The dwarf is awesome regardless. Dunno if he'd be better as a two-hander like Sten--they seemed pretty comparable. I did give him a bit more dex and just enough str to wear the armor I wanted him to have. He was a lot more likely to hit his target than Sten, who I didn't feed the bird potion.

Shale was commonly in the party, but I can't decide which of its modes I like best. I tended to default to the one with slam and earthquake so it could stun groups of enemies, but sometime partway through that attack began doing friendly fire where it hadn't before. Maybe an update did that. I dunno. The green nature crystal armor for the golem also gives a big bonus to physical defense---hint.

Next time I will bring along a re-spec potion for Loghain before I hit the landsmeet. He gets a big two-handed sword to use but his skills are all for shield fighter. Durrr. I found him the least survivable member of the party by far.

Oh, and the archdemon couldn't hurt me. I tanked him with my mage. Didn't bother with the ballistas. Whatever kind of damage the dragon breath is, I must have had high immunity to it. Probably from the spirit armor or whatever it is in the arcane warrior line. The tail whips did hurt though. And the grabbing you in his mouth attack which sucks ass. But he didn't do hardly any of that stuff. Just kept breathing on me. Oh well. I put Lel far away to keep the damage going while Loghain and Shale kept the zerglings away. Well, Shale did anyway.

Oh, and WTF is up with Sandal standing outside the Dragon's door surrounded by dead darkspawn and soldiers wanting to enchant for you? I busted up laughing there. Enchantment!  :lol:

SPOILERS! I WARNED YOU!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on December 01, 2009, 02:18:08 AM
Tevinters association with Byzantium shows a real lack of understanding by the writers on what Byzantium was. I wouldn't worry about it, Ed. I can see the angle they were going for with just about everywhere else: Orlais, Antiva, even Fereldan.

I am not sure where Psellus read about an "emperor" for Tevinter, or his name or queens name. I haven't seen that anywhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if he misread.

Wasn't Vasilla the wife of the Archon who had Andraste put to death?

Jaron

Maybe. I assumed he was talking present day, of course.

Tevinter is no Byzantium, of this I can assure you.

It is ONLY in some naming patterns, it was the once dominant empire, the schism (perhaps), and of course - the war with the Qunari (the Thedas version of Muslims)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Sophie Scholl

I love the visual look of Ostagar.  So LotR movie Osgiliath-esque. :wub:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Winkelried

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 01, 2009, 02:25:15 AM
SPOILERS!!!11111 TONS AND TONS OF SPOILERS!!!!!@

Finally got around to beating it. Got the "Easily Distracted" achievement.  :P
I made Alistair king and freed the mages from their fundamentalist oppressors. Stupid Templars caused the mage rebellion with their retarded nazi regime anyhow. The more you tighten your grip Tarkin... I told Morri to take a hike with her archdemon baby idea and got Loghain to do the dragon for me so I can live.
Some things I learned...

SPOILERS! I WARNED YOU!

How did you turn Loghain into a grey warden without Alistair walking out on you? I tried that once, Alistair wanted to leave and Anora wanted me to kill Alistair. A clusterfuck par excellence.

Martinus

Alistair needs to be "hardened" if you don't want him to become a drunk loser once you let Loghain live. This happens by doing his sister side quest and then choosing a dialogue option which basically says it's everyone for himself or something.

Winkelried

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 07:39:30 AM
Alistair needs to be "hardened" if you don't want him to become a drunk loser once you let Loghain live. This happens by doing his sister side quest and then choosing a dialogue option which basically says it's everyone for himself or something.

I see. I picked the nice guy option in his personal quest, still managed to make him king and even get him to marry Anora. Poor Alister.   :P

Martinus

Quote from: Winkelried on December 01, 2009, 07:53:56 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 07:39:30 AM

I see. I picked the nice guy option in his personal quest, still managed to make him king and even get him to marry Anora. Poor Alister.   :P

But you killed Loghain, right?