Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2009, 04:52:38 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2009, 04:47:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2009, 04:41:44 PM
Quote from: Jaron on December 04, 2009, 04:31:51 PM
I also think the absence of any active divinity is quite rare.

:yeahright:

I can go as far back as Tolkein to show you a setting with "no active divinity"...

Uhm, that's not true. In fact, Tolkien's setting has a very HEAVY active divinity. Both Gandald and Sauron are Maiars, subordinates of the gods.

You have to go to the secondary books to get that fact however.  It's not at all obvious or apparent from reading LotR.

In any event lots of fantasy settings have done without Gods, or at least "active" Gods.

There is evidence enough in the novels, but even if that information was only accessible through secondary sources it does not matter. The fact remains that there is a very active divine component to Middle Earth. Even in elements like the Balrog, or the Eagles.

I do not claim that Dragon Age was the FIRST to not have active gods, just that is it unusual. D&D, Dragon Lance ( I believe), Warhammer, and even second generation knocksoffs like WoW have active deities.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Queequeg

Its all in the presentation. All SCI FI and FANTASY are generally rehashes of the same plot and setting elements.

I've never seen elves in ghettos, or dwarves presented the way they are in Dragon age. Most of the common elements of Dwarven society were present in Dragon age (live underground, long beards, excellent smiths, excellent masonry), but I've never seen them have such a violent cut throat society. I also think it is uncommon for humans to be as dominant as they are in Dragon age. Dragon age also goes for a slightly less fantasy role, I think, by limiting the role of fantasy creatures like dragons, demons, spirits, etc. Unlike in many fantasy worlds - Warhammer, Faerun and whatnot, the most dangerous foe are other humanoids.

I also think the absence of any active divinity is quite rare.
Literally everything you just said was more true in Arcanum, which managed to have a more creative, if somewhat less deep and well organized, world. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Jaron

I am not familiar with Arcanum. I'll need to check it out to compare.

I think more creative is a matter of opinion though, and I will need to read up on this Arcanum before I can agree or disagree with your opinion.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2009, 04:52:38 PM
You have to go to the secondary books to get that fact however.  It's not at all obvious or apparent from reading LotR.

In any event lots of fantasy settings have done without Gods, or at least "active" Gods.

Lots?  Dragon Age has religion as one of its most important elements and doesn't have any active Gods how many others have that?  I can think of ASoIaF off the top of my head...others?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on December 04, 2009, 04:57:12 PM
Literally everything you just said was more true in Arcanum, which managed to have a more creative, if somewhat less deep and well organized, world. 

How was it more creative?  It certainly was creative but it didn't exactly invent the wheel.  It was classic fantasy archetypes in a 19th century type setting.  I mean it was even the gnomes who were into the technology the most.  Granted it was cool and I loved it but how was it LESS derivative?

Anyway bashing something designed to be derivative is pretty idiotic.  It is the bashing of a football simulator because of how horrible a baseball simulator it is.  If you don't want something derivative don't buy something that says 'spiritual successor to something else' buy the 'new fresh setting' blah blah.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on December 04, 2009, 04:59:07 PM
I am not familiar with Arcanum. I'll need to check it out to compare.

I think more creative is a matter of opinion though, and I will need to read up on this Arcanum before I can agree or disagree with your opinion.

Arcanum has knights and wizards, dwarves who live underground, technologically savvy gnomes, and elves that live in trees.  It just takes place in a steam punk world where technology and magic exist side by side.

Jaron

Oh. I won't waste my time then. :P

Fantasy as a whole repeats itself. I think very little new things are injected into the genre.

Dragonage to me is the vessel through which its creator wanted to share the themes they enjoyed in years past with a new generation who are likely to skip over the traditional mediums (table top, etc.)

Solmyr

I've never seen elves in ghettos, or dwarves presented the way they are in Dragon age. Most of the common elements of Dwarven society were present in Dragon age (live underground, long beards, excellent smiths, excellent masonry), but I've never seen them have such a violent cut throat society.

DA dwarves don't even always have ANY beards.
As for Tevinter, I've read that it was more Roman Empire than Byzantine.

Solmyr

Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2009, 04:46:15 PM
Actually Warhammer is a lot like that, UNLIKE Faerun. Warhammer is a cool setting because it is so "realistic".

That depends. Recent portrayals of WFRP put a high emphasis on fantastic, monstrous enemies (Storm of Chaos etc).

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2009, 04:59:18 PM
Lots?  Dragon Age has religion as one of its most important elements and doesn't have any active Gods how many others have that?  I can think of ASoIaF off the top of my head...others?

I'd say Warhammer is like that. It has active religions, but the gods themselves are pretty invisible (aside from Sigmar, and even he only in past history).

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on December 05, 2009, 08:16:30 AM
Actually Warhammer is a lot like that, UNLIKE Faerun. Warhammer is a cool setting because it is so "realistic".

That depends. Recent portrayals of WFRP put a high emphasis on fantastic, monstrous enemies (Storm of Chaos etc).

Recent portrayals are crap, especially the third edition. :P

As far as I am concerned, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd edition is canon.

Solmyr

Quote from: Martinus on December 05, 2009, 09:23:02 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on December 05, 2009, 08:16:30 AM

Recent portrayals are crap, especially the third edition. :P

As far as I am concerned, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd edition is canon.

Storm of Chaos is 2nd edition. :P

I don't plan on switching to 3rd but from what I've read it's not nearly as bad as people claim. It has more visual aids and other bling but the spirit is the same.

DisturbedPervert

Well, I've finally finished the game.  On normal, play time was 89 hours 42 minutes.

Easily game of the year, and for the last several.  Ranks among the best rpgs of all time.  I hope it's not too long a wait for a sequel.

Now that I know the game better, am going to attempt to play it again, entirely on hard, never lowering the difficulty even for boss fights.  Think I'll have to do it as a mage.  Golems will carry me through the last battle, they tore shit up on normal.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 01, 2009, 02:25:15 AM
Oh, and WTF is up with Sandal standing outside the Dragon's door surrounded by dead darkspawn and soldiers wanting to enchant for you? I busted up laughing there. Enchantment!  :lol:

Yeah, I almost died of laughter.  Hundreds of dead bodies everywhere and that lyrium addled dwarf is just standing there like nothing is going on.  Enchantment! 

Did kind of break immersion though, him opening up a store with all his fathers goods there like that.  I mean, at that point, if I needed some potions or armor and I couldn't afford them, I'm taking them.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 12:50:38 PM
I just got back from the Deep Roads. When I went in I had hardly any money. When I got back, after selling all the useless crap, I had 150 gold.

Most gold I had at any time during the game was 36.  I was always scrounging for gold to buy all the books and materials I needed.  I had 4 ranks in poison, it's an expensive hobby.  There were a couple really expensive items I wanted, but I never had any hope of getting them.

It probably didn't help that I had a chest in my campsite filled up with loot that I didn't want to sell, just in case.   :lol: