Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: Alatriste on January 19, 2010, 06:52:34 AM
a) I don't think the Romans built their roads mainly for military reasons, but

They pretty much did, in order to better exert influence over subject areas. Any trade benefits were a byproduct, the Romans themselves weren't too enamored with trading as an occupation.

Queequeg

Quote from: grumbler on January 18, 2010, 02:17:55 PM

I am ambivalent on whether one would call the late Roman Empire more advanced than anything equivelent in Twelfth Century Europe, but my ambivalence has nothing to do with relative skills at road-building.
Siege technology, a lot of engineering (bridges, in addition to roads), armor (no plate, compare with Roman-Sassanian cataphracts), weapons (Noric steel), massively more efficient agricultural system, much more urbanized, much higher literacy rates, much more impressive mining operations.

I don't think the Roman Empire really has a nice equivalent technologically with post-Dark Age Europe, but I think an argument can be made that Europe was not technologically totally to the level of Romans before the 17th Century. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

I'm in what must be my 4th attempt to get through this bloody game.

I like the setting and story are decent enough. The characters are cool.

At time of release (which was close to ME2) I thought the presentation, especially in dialogues, looked horribly dated - ME1&2 were much more immersive in that regard, not least thanks to the now standard "dialogue wheel" pioneered in ME1. My opinion on the presentation has softened with time.

I still find the combat a bit too grindy, even though I'm playing on easy now and it's obviously a breeze. Some maps are a bit overcrowded, enemy wise. I guess my point is that it's a bit padded IMHO. YMMV, of course, as the game's fanbase attests.

My original attempt was as a human noble. My next attempts were as Dalish elf and dwarven noble. I'm now playing a casteless female dwarf dual wield warrior, honorable, feisty, and a bit easy to tick off; not much interested in the Chantry or mages. My standard party is Leliana (for lockpicking), Alistair and Sten.

I'm about 18-20 hours in. I've done the DLC stuff (soldier's Peak, Ostagar, Stone Prisoner) to get it out of the way, been to Redcliffe, and just finished the Circle of Magi (FADE STILL SUCKS DONKEY BALLS!). I'm now back at Redcliffe.

Cautiously optimistic that I might actually make it through this time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on November 25, 2014, 03:44:46 AM
FADE STILL SUCKS DONKEY BALLS!

Download this Skip the Fade mod and never think about it again.:contract: The Fade portion is something to do once, on your first playthrough and never again.

http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/816/?

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

Thanks. There's a good concept with deception in there, and it could have been better if it wasn't immediately visible if you're in the fade or not (and maybe have the exact situation semi-randomized for each play through to keep players on their toes), and if the combat/puzzle wasn't so tedious. The other fade excursions (Mage origin, the possessed kid, ...) are not that horrible, either.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Legbiter

Yeah those other times are no problem, it's just that the fade sequence in the Mage tower goes on and on and on. The mod is also good in that it grants you all of the stat boosts, exp and codex entries you would have gotten from playing through the whole thing.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Finished Orzamar (instead of going to Denerim next).

The city: very cool. The Dark Roads: an annoying slog (though the Broodmother bit is pleasantly creepy), and still doesn't feel as expansive as it should.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Finished the Brazilian Brecilian Forest. A nice subplot that doesn't overstay its welcome. If anything, it feels short compared to Orzammar or Redcliffe.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Finished the game at ca. the 50 hour mark. It's a very good yarn.

My main party was Alistair, Oghren (previously Sten) and Leliana (yup, no Mages except when forced - didn't feel like my dwarf would be fond of them). The final fight felt like a bit of a letdown after some other fights in the game. My dwarven commoner warrior girl fell in love with Alistair - well, that was not the best idea.

I played in general neutral towards Mages/Chantry (though choosing to kill all blood mages/not using blood magic), and more a rogueish good than a completely honorable goody two shoes. I feel I want at least two more run throughs to see different endings - a super-pious human warrior, and a snooty elf mage who hates the Circle and the Chantry.

I appreciate that the game has a decently long epilogue that ties up loose ends, allows you to say good bye to your companions, and then gives you the results of your decisions.

I've now started the Awakening expansion. And dammit, they stole one of my 3-rune swords. :mad:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

RPS has a series where they recommend games old and new, called "Have you played ... ?"

Today: Have You Played... Dragon Age: Origins?

As a matter of fact, I now have. Perfect timing. :lol:

QuoteHave You Played? is an endless stream of game recommendations. One a day, every day of the year, perhaps for all time.

Have you heard of it? Dragon Age: Origins was this little RPG put out by an indie studio in Canada called BioWare. Aha, my little joke. But it's a question well worth asking, as with the release of Inquisition I've spoken to lots of people who've never played the original, and would absolutely love it. Including my dad. Dad – play this for goodness sake.

Origins is a pretty unique project. Somehow BioWare were able to quietly be making it for – it's rumoured but unconfirmed – about about nine years. While the last couple of those were somewhat tainted by one of the worst, most ill-conceived advertising campaigns in gaming history, it meant an RPG was able to be created with extraordinary opportunity. And it was worth it. DAO has a depth behind it that lifts the whole experience. While the structure is a very typical BioWare format – do four big tasks then a big climactic task – along the way there's a huge sense of thousands of years of known history, alongside the wonderful relationships you have with your companions.

It's such a wonderful game, with so much to do, and so far to sink in. And in light of my enormous disappointment at learning that Inquisition doesn't have a proper tactical turn-based mode (no, it doesn't – it's a miserable, abortive mess of an effort to crowbar it in at the last minute), I'm sorely tempted to go back and replay five years on.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2014, 05:07:45 PM
Finished the game at ca. the 50 hour mark. It's a very good yarn.

My main party was Alistair, Oghren (previously Sten) and Leliana (yup, no Mages except when forced - didn't feel like my dwarf would be fond of them). The final fight felt like a bit of a letdown after some other fights in the game. My dwarven commoner warrior girl fell in love with Alistair - well, that was not the best idea.

I played in general neutral towards Mages/Chantry (though choosing to kill all blood mages/not using blood magic), and more a rogueish good than a completely honorable goody two shoes. I feel I want at least two more run throughs to see different endings - a super-pious human warrior, and a snooty elf mage who hates the Circle and the Chantry.

I appreciate that the game has a decently long epilogue that ties up loose ends, allows you to say good bye to your companions, and then gives you the results of your decisions.

I've now started the Awakening expansion. And dammit, they stole one of my 3-rune swords. :mad:

I remember my game concluded with my human noble ending up on the throne of Ferelden, married to the Queen, and keeping Zevran as my lover on the side (he was given an official position on the court to avoid "suspicion").

Syt

Mine was more mundane, with Alistair dead, me single and head of the Grey Wardens, and Anora ruling alone.
—Stephen Jay Gould