Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: Judas Iscariot link=topic=2467.msg175691#msg175691
Except his female character was not HOTT, at least in my opinion.

Your opinion and good taste are 2 different things.  Observe.

G.
-----
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grallon

I'm partial to dark haired, clear eyed beauty - whether in males or females.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

I actually think Dwarf women are pretty cute even with their freakishly long arms.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Faeelin

A couple of peeves:

Was anyone else annoyed with the fact that they'd been at a medieval level of civilization for millenia?.

Barrister

Quote from: Faeelin on January 12, 2010, 06:49:33 PM
A couple of peeves:

Was anyone else annoyed with the fact that they'd been at a medieval level of civilization for millenia?.

That's a pretty common theme in fantasy worlds.  From Lord if the Rings onwards, there's no technological advancement.  Hell if anything (and again following from Tolkein) the ancients are sometimes seen as being more advanced.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 07:01:22 PM

That's a pretty common theme in fantasy worlds.  From Lord if the Rings onwards, there's no technological advancement.  Hell if anything (and again following from Tolkein) the ancients are sometimes seen as being more advanced.

People don't realise how slow 'history' was before the industrial revolution; centuries upon centuries of just about the same thing - with no more than a few 'advancements'.

What is it with people wanting a particular setting - then applying their own morals/worldview onto it - only to profess themselves disapointed by the choices they themselves made!?

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on January 12, 2010, 07:47:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 07:01:22 PM

People don't realise how slow 'history' was before the industrial revolution; centuries upon centuries of just about the same thing - with no more than a few 'advancements'.

What is it with people wanting a particular setting - then applying their own morals/worldview onto it - only to profess themselves disapointed by the choices they themselves made!?

I don't think that's true.  While nothing like the last 200 years there was significant advancements between, say, 1000AD and 1800 AD (to pick a start for the industrial revolution).  Even if you meant to say before the renaissance, society and technology was noticably changing between 1000 and 1500.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

My point was there were periods in our history where not much happened for long stretches.  We can argue about specific dates elsewhere.

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Queequeg

A couple of peeves:

I think Tevinter was a lot more advanced.  I get the impression that between the occasional blight and the constant threat form the Qunari, international trade has yet to recover from Tevinter times.  To be fair, this was basically the situation in Europe for a thousand years, and not even the Huns were as bad as the Darkspawn. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Solmyr

Quote from: Grallon on January 12, 2010, 08:25:04 PM
My point was there were periods in our history where not much happened for long stretches.

No there weren't.

Tamas

The common answer to that is: magic. You don't really need steam machines or gunpowder when you have magic.

ulmont

Yeah, but then people start using magic like steam engines and the revolution happens anyway.

Solmyr

The D&D Eberron setting actually takes this to its logical conclusion, that magic replaces technology as the driving force of industrialization and transportation development. Most settings usually just ignore this though.

Valmy

A couple of peeves:

I don't know...my ancestors in 1600 AD didn't live that dramatically different from my ancestors in 600 BC.  They still farmed by hand.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."