News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spirituality 2009

Started by Martinus, October 04, 2009, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Armyknife on October 05, 2009, 07:56:01 PM
Most of the people I've met who describe themselves as being spiritual or interested in such matters have invariably proven have three or more of these characteristics : - self-obssessed, narcissistic, shotaway and/or lacking any critical reasoning skills.  :cool:

The key here is 'people who describe themselves as 'spiritual'".

Most people who are genuinely interested in these matters do not wear their interest on their sleeves, so to speak.

The type of person who wants others to recognize them as 'spiritual' is far more likely to be a bullshit-artist, seeking some sort of recognition of status from others. It's the equivalent of the sort of person who, in highschool, went around calling himself "cool'. 

Your genuinely "spiritual" person (and I'm using that term in the sense I defined it above), you might never know cares about such matters. He's the person studying math because he sees something in the patterns of the numbers that fills him with awe, or she's the quiet person who volunteers at a local Church to help those less fortunate than themselves, but who never rants about Jesus. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 06, 2009, 07:09:29 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 05, 2009, 07:59:43 PM
Since the whole point of spirituality is to become aware of things outside yourself perhaps they are interested in it because they are trying to stop being so self-obsessed?

Also critical reasoning skills are pretty essential for exploring spiritual things since the amoung to bullshit out there can easily lead the foolish astray.
I agree with Mongers that the whole idea of spiritual people makes me a bit suspicious.  So many of them seem like Madonna minus musculature.  Spirituality's a middle class hobby for ladies what lunch - a bit like Pilates - or an aesthetic choice like an Indian fabric hanging on the wall.  90% of the time, if not more, people who are 'spiritual' have as much to do with reasoning and the world around them as they have a genuine connection to the origins of the various ethnic fabrics that they own, wear, use to decorate their house.

Though, of course, there are some genuinely very spiritual people.

See my reply. To my mind, this is true of the sort of person who wants others to acknowledge them as "spiritual" or whatever.

My impression is that there are more genuinely "spiritual" people about than is usually acknowledged - only, they tend to shun such recognition, or be unaware that it is anything worth recognizing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Meri's spiritual event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhZXq2SvJ0U

And if it seems like I'm picking on Meri, I'm not.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 06, 2009, 08:11:54 AM
See my reply. To my mind, this is true of the sort of person who wants others to acknowledge them as "spiritual" or whatever.

My impression is that there are more genuinely "spiritual" people about than is usually acknowledged - only, they tend to shun such recognition, or be unaware that it is anything worth recognizing.

It is also rather rude to discuss in public.  It is like telling everybody how much money you make.  I don't think I have ever discussed my spiritual beliefs outside of church.  Granted that is mostly out of fear the other person might start telling me about their religion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 06, 2009, 08:13:35 AM
Meri's spiritual event:

You know it is actually good to see nerds getting outside and getting some exercise.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2009, 08:22:30 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 06, 2009, 08:13:35 AM
Meri's spiritual event:

You know it is actually good to see nerds getting outside and getting some exercise.

No, its not. Nerds need to die horribly.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus

Quote from: merithyn on October 05, 2009, 07:44:22 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2009, 05:17:07 PM

What it suggests to me is the existance of a philosophy or activity which in effect directs a person's attention away from their own ego, and towards contemplation of something outside of themself.

This is my interpretation, as well.
Interesting. I would have defined it as the opposite.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on October 06, 2009, 08:11:54 AM
I agree. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 06, 2009, 11:59:23 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 06, 2009, 08:51:18 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 06, 2009, 07:24:46 AM
I'm Raistlin.
I wanna be Tasslehoff!

Kender, hobbits, gnomes and halflings should be liquidated.
Gnomes stay pretty much out of the way, and so are alright.  Halflings and hobbits generally keep to themselves and just go along, which is alright.  Kender are troublesome, and should be liquidated.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2009, 05:17:07 PM

What it suggests to me is the existance of a philosophy or activity which in effect directs a person's attention away from their own ego, and towards contemplation of something outside of themself.

That's a good definition. Though in practice it usually ends up being this:

Quote from: Peter Wiggin
It's like superstition, but without the negative spin.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Agelastus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 06, 2009, 08:51:18 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 06, 2009, 07:24:46 AM
I'm Raistlin.
I wanna be Tasslehoff!

Including the part about seeing most of your friends die and then being squashed by a giant personification of Primordial Chaos?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."