News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you be a good monarch?

Started by Martinus, October 02, 2009, 03:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So having seen "Tudors" and "Edward II", I came to a conclusion that I would be a rather lousy monarch. Probably capricious, moody, bestowing honors and gifts on my boytoys and beheading people left and right if they pissed me off (which would be daily). :P

How about you?

P.S. This is technically a drunk thread since I'm inebriated. :P

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Malthus

Just don't end up like Edward II. That was a little *too* kinky.  :unsure:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I would be the degenerate lovechild of Bluebeard and Vlad Tepes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on October 02, 2009, 03:05:26 PM
Just don't end up like Edward II. That was a little *too* kinky.  :unsure:

Maybe my aversion to anal means I was Edward II in past life?  :huh:

Neil

Yes.  Authority flows naturally from me, as do equal measures of revolutionary, proper ideas and self-restraint.

To be both King and God, now wouldn't that be something?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Since I have considerable experience appears as an agent of the monarch, yes I would.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Lettow77

I would rule from a sense of justice rather than personal interest, and I would try not to let my moral convictions become that of official policy, subjugating others to my will.

as a proponent of small government, I think i'd be a fine monarch.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Viking

my rule would collapse into chaos when my newly created pseudo democratic institutions and old school conservatives would go to civil war against me on the grounds of my hedonism, atheism, and splurging on stuff like canals, roads, harbours, professorships and sponsorship of heretics and foreign crackpots.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on October 02, 2009, 03:17:31 PM
my rule would collapse into chaos when my newly created pseudo democratic institutions and old school conservatives would go to civil war against me on the grounds of my hedonism, atheism, and splurging on stuff like canals, roads, harbours, professorships and sponsorship of heretics and foreign crackpots.

Sic Semper Tyrranis!  :bowler:

HVC

I dislike making decisions so I'd probably surround myself with advisors. Depending on how good my choices are i'd either been seen as a great king, or beheaded.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Like what kind of monarch?  Like the emperor of Japan who doesn't do anything?  I can do that.  Like a medieval monarch?  I'd probably be like Louis XI or Charles the V if I do well, Charles VI if I'm not so good.  Probably a mix like Ivan IV.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

No, I'd probably end up sharing the same fate as Prospero.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?