News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you be a good monarch?

Started by Martinus, October 02, 2009, 03:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Depends on the era, really.

I think I would make an excellent King of Russia, cirka 1917.

Monoriu

I think I'll be a very bad monarch. 

1. to do nothing and achieve nothing will be my overarching policy
2. tendency to fire bureaucrats and commanders with large egos, and to promote people who have no ambition at all
3. strict adherence to written rules and promotion of fairness over well-being of population
4. total refusal to go into deficits or to borrow, even in the most taxing times
5. no interest in the short term wellbeing of people
6. no interest in foreign affairs
7. no awareness of coups
8. tendency to maintain the status quo at all costs
9. not afaird to ignore vested interests
10. poor people skills

I bet I have a very high chance of dying from a coup.  Or a revolution.  Or an invasion.

Tamas

I would end up being an other Pinochet, so yes.

Agelastus

Lousy monarch. I seriously doubt that I would be ruthless enough for the job, despite my own fond imaginings of what I'd like to do to certain politicians.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2009, 03:31:21 PM
Like what kind of monarch?  Like the emperor of Japan who doesn't do anything?  I can do that.  Like a medieval monarch?  I'd probably be like Louis XI or Charles the V if I do well, Charles VI if I'm not so good.  Probably a mix like Ivan IV.
Medieval monarch. An actual ruler.

Winkelried

I'd probably grow the body mass of Henry VIII and also use my position to fuck around (but minus the beheading). In financial matters however I'd probably be more like his father who despite starting his rule after a 30 year long civil war managed to leave behind a well stocked treasury. AFAIK king John was also a very successful tax collector and was known to hold grudges (as I am prone to do). I guess I'd have to sign some kind of magna charta at some point, oops.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 02, 2009, 03:02:42 PM
So having seen "Tudors" and "Edward II", I came to a conclusion that I would be a rather lousy monarch. Probably capricious, moody, bestowing honors and gifts on my boytoys and beheading people left and right if they pissed me off (which would be daily). :P

How about you?

P.S. This is technically a drunk thread since I'm inebriated. :P

I would make an excellent monarch. I am extremely intelligent, I have great empathy, I love making decisions, I am unafraid of conflict when I deem it necessary. I bring out the best in people.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

I don't know.  I think about it some times.  I'd probably be history obsessed, but that could pretty easily make me some kind of proto-Renaissance figure.  I think I'd be okay; I try to be fair minded with people, even those I dislike, and I also try to be tolerant of minorities.  I don't think I could have ever allowed any kind of pogrom or ethnic violence, though I would probably try to conquer new lands and set up Colonia, like the Romans.  I'd also probably try to model my army on what I understood of classical armies, and I'm not totally sure how well that would have gone. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

I think I'd go down like Catherine de Medici, the best laid plans...:(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on October 02, 2009, 04:50:56 PM
I don't know.  I think about it some times.  I'd probably be history obsessed, but that could pretty easily make me some kind of proto-Renaissance figure.  I think I'd be okay; I try to be fair minded with people, even those I dislike, and I also try to be tolerant of minorities.  I don't think I could have ever allowed any kind of pogrom or ethnic violence, though I would probably try to conquer new lands and set up Colonia, like the Romans.  I'd also probably try to model my army on what I understood of classical armies, and I'm not totally sure how well that would have gone.

Knife in throat, day 3.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 02, 2009, 05:18:44 PM
Knife in throat, day 3.
I'm a light sleeper, 6'4 and fairly well built.  That'd be hard, though not impossible.  Poison would be a lot easier. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Agelastus

Quote from: Queequeg on October 02, 2009, 05:27:33 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 02, 2009, 05:18:44 PM
Knife in throat, day 3.
I'm a light sleeper, 6'4 and fairly well built.  That'd be hard, though not impossible.  Poison would be a lot easier.

They'd come at you in numbers, and make it look as if you'd died in your sleep. I suspect a red hot poker up your arse is not a particularly pleasant way to die.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Ed Anger

a 3rd grader would get to Spellus.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

Quote from: Agelastus on October 02, 2009, 05:29:47 PM
They'd come at you in numbers, and make it look as if you'd died in your sleep. I suspect a red hot poker up your arse is not a particularly pleasant way to die.

I don't know a lot of people who died in their sleep from a red hot poker up the arse, do you?

Sahib

Can we pick the era? Best would be one where monarch weren't getting killed/deposed even if they were incompetent imbeciles.
So... 17th/18th century Europe?  :pope:
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever