Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Agelastus on October 02, 2009, 06:01:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2009, 05:58:30 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 02, 2009, 05:52:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2009, 05:51:29 PM
Would you really opt for being a well paid prop over having real power?

I know I sure as hell would.

Me too.  If I could be a monarch I'd like to be like Ed 8.  A little bit of influence but mostly a useful tool for the country.  Also be fashionable and have women throw themselves at me.  And rich.

You do recall he was effectively exiled to the Bahamas as it was feared that if he remained in Britain, if there was an invasion, and if he fell in to German hands that he would be a willing puppet monarch for Hitler, don't you?

I made a mistake.  I meant Ed 7.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2009, 07:00:12 PM
Me too.  If I could be a monarch I'd like to be like Ed 8.  A little bit of influence but mostly a useful tool for the country.  Also be fashionable and have women throw themselves at me.  And rich.

You do recall he was effectively exiled to the Bahamas as it was feared that if he remained in Britain, if there was an invasion, and if he fell in to German hands that he would be a willing puppet monarch for Hitler, don't you?

Edward VII had a lot more influence than I think you believe, for example during the Fisher/Beresford dispute and also during the "People's Budget" crisis before his death. I think you would have preferred to be Edward before he ascended the throne.

The Kaiser certainly did not see him as being a figurehead - he saw Edward's supposed malevolence towards him in many of Germany's diplomatic reverses of the period.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Korea

Quote from: Martinus on October 02, 2009, 03:02:42 PM
So having seen "Tudors" and "Edward II", I came to a conclusion that I would be a rather lousy monarch. Probably capricious, moody, bestowing honors and gifts on my boytoys and beheading people left and right if they pissed me off (which would be daily). :P

How about you?

P.S. This is technically a drunk thread since I'm inebriated. :P

This should be in my drunk thread.  :mad:

:P
I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

On the topic:

I would be terrible. Totally unfair, irrational, and womanly.
I want my mother fucking points!

garbon

Quote from: Korea on October 02, 2009, 07:22:12 PM
On the topic:

Liz I would smack you across the face.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Agelastus on October 02, 2009, 07:11:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2009, 07:00:12 PM

Edward VII had a lot more influence than I think you believe, for example during the Fisher/Beresford dispute and also during the "People's Budget" crisis before his death. I think you would have preferred to be Edward before he ascended the throne.

The Kaiser certainly did not see him as being a figurehead - he saw Edward's supposed malevolence towards him in many of Germany's diplomatic reverses of the period.

The Kaiser was also an idiot.  I said a little influence.  I didn't say none.  His biggest thing was creating goodwill in other countries (France in particular).  In my opinion Ed is an example of a good modern King.  His son was pretty good as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on October 02, 2009, 05:54:14 PM
The "well paid" part is the key...I love the easy life.
Well it seems like the difference between playing a nation building game and just watching the cut scenes of cheering crowds.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on October 02, 2009, 06:26:55 PM
Oh, and also, free implants for all and Spellus's tongue would be cut out. :)

He types with his tongue? :x
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2009, 07:45:04 PM
Quote from: Korea on October 02, 2009, 07:22:12 PM
On the topic:

Liz I would smack you across the face.

Why? She probably shared that view of most women.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Secondary question:
Of whom/when would you like to be king?    Mine should be obvious. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on October 02, 2009, 10:57:29 PM
Secondary question:
Of whom/when would you like to be king?    Mine should be obvious.

Nothing about you is obvious.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Alatriste

I would be a great roi fainéant (i.e. do-nothing king), leaving government to counselors and only occasionally intervening If I considered something clearly wrong. But if I tried to actually rule, I would be generally well-meaning but lack the ruthlessness and energy required, and I would have to fight constantly against my innate tendency to procrastinate.

With luck I would find a Bismarck, Richelieu, Oxenstierna or Olivares to do all the work I didn't like for me, leaving me free to devote my time to the aspects of government that interested me and my strange hobbies, things like building steam machines and claim they would change the world some day. And, like Rudolph II, people would think I was engaged in alchemy, witch craft, astrology and heresy.

In the worst scenario, things could get quite nasty if I had power to have people killed instantly with one word... Nero supposedly tried hard to be a good emperor, but absolute power corrupts absolutely, the man that possess it must rule himself with an iron hand.