News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Top 10 Blockbusters that sucked

Started by viper37, September 28, 2009, 02:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Well, it was an action flick when it was in the cinemas, anyway.

Quote from Wikipedia -

QuoteWhen the film came to home video the tag line "Catch The Adventure, Catch The Excitement, Catch The Hawk" was changed to "Catch The Adventure, Catch The Laughter, Catch The Hawk".

:lol:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on September 28, 2009, 03:21:12 PM
The fighting looks great but is mostly unrealistic, mainly for tv glitz and show, and just so wrong.

Well duh...that was kind of the point.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on September 28, 2009, 06:11:03 PM
Guys...haven't any of you heard of Wikipedia? :huh:

Blockbuster, as applied to film or theatre, denotes a very popular and/or successful production. The entertainment industry use was originally theatrical slang referring to a particularly successful play but is now used primarily by the film industry.

he Oxford English Dictionary cites the earliest use of the term in the press when referring to WWII military bombs larger than 4000 lbs; the military did not use the term.[1]

Although some entertainment histories apparently cite it as originally referring to a play that is so successful that competing theaters on the block are "busted" and driven out of business, the OED cites a 1957 use which is simply as a term of "biggest", after the bombs.[2] Whatever its origin, the term quickly caught on as a way to describe a hit, and has subsequently been applied to productions other than plays and films, including novels and multi-million selling computer/console game titles.

This just demonstrates that a dictionary is a monument to a language as used in the previous century.

A blockbuster movie is a very expensive film made with the anticipation that it will make hundreds of millions of dollars.  Some of them don't.

There is no way Gigli was a blockbuster.  The budget was too small, and it wasn't released in "blockbuster season" (June, July, and December).  That's isn't to say it wasn't a massive flop.

The Golden Compass should be on this list ($180+ mion budget, $70 million domestic gross).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

After seeing 300 I really think now that the movie is kind of lousy, mainly because of the over done fight scenes. The fighting looks great but is mostly unrealistic, mainly for tv glitz and show, and just so wrong. The movie was probably well enough otherwise in its portrayal of characters and events.
The problem I had was that the fighting was boring.  I never finished watching the film on DVD.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on September 28, 2009, 09:41:21 PM

The Golden Compass should be on this list ($180+ mion budget, $70 million domestic gross).

Thats another one though where you've got the big problem of just looking at the US numbers, apparently the christians rallied against that over there and really damaged its run but it was very succesful overseas. According to wikipedia it earned $370 million and that seems to be just at the cinema.
Its a shame it is though regarded as a failure, I thought it to be pretty OK.
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: derspiess on September 28, 2009, 04:08:30 PM
Wild Wild West made up for bad script, plot, & acting with pure steampunk goodness.

It wasn't terrible escapist fare, but I think I would have liked it better if it had another title and the lead characters weren't named James West and Artemus Gordon.  I liked the old TV show, and the movie really didn't have the same--what's the word I want?--spirit? 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on September 28, 2009, 10:54:30 PM
It wasn't terrible escapist fare, but I think I would have liked it better if it had another title and the lead characters weren't named James West and Artemus Gordon.  I liked the old TV show, and the movie really didn't have the same--what's the word I want?--spirit?
I thought Kline was a decent Artie.  Except for the painful tranny scene.

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on September 28, 2009, 09:54:16 PM
Thats another one though where you've got the big problem of just looking at the US numbers, apparently the christians rallied against that over there and really damaged its run but it was very succesful overseas. According to wikipedia it earned $370 million and that seems to be just at the cinema.
Its a shame it is though regarded as a failure, I thought it to be pretty OK.
Most of the movies on the list made money.  The "blockbuster" measure of success, though, is domestic ticket sales.

The concept of the "blockbuster" is kind of specialized, and probably mostly meaningless.  A director has to bill his movie as such, though, before he gets a budget in the high tens or even a hundred+ million dollars.

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2009, 06:42:58 AM
A director has to bill his movie as such, though, before he gets a budget in the high tens or even a hundred+ million dollars.

Source?  :contract:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on September 29, 2009, 07:02:30 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2009, 06:42:58 AM
A director has to bill his movie as such, though, before he gets a budget in the high tens or even a hundred+ million dollars.

Source?  :contract:
The Internet. :contract:

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on September 28, 2009, 09:54:16 PM
apparently the christians rallied against that over there and really damaged its run but it was very succesful overseas.

Well it is not that simple.  A big issue was the image of it being controversial and it being a kids film.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2009, 09:40:59 PM
The fighting looks great but is mostly unrealistic, mainly for tv glitz and show, and just so wrong.

Well duh...that was kind of the point.
My point was that the fighting was just for a Hollywood audience, the single 1vs1 fight scenes ridiculous, kind of lame actually, and far too unrealistic, which wound up ruining the immersion into the movie for me.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 28, 2009, 09:41:21 PM
What an awful movie that was.  Never, never, never listen to a girl when she tells you to rent a good movie.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on September 29, 2009, 08:54:32 AM
My point was that the fighting was just for a Hollywood audience, the single 1vs1 fight scenes ridiculous, kind of lame actually, and far too unrealistic, which wound up ruining the immersion into the movie for me.
IIRC, they simply translated the 'graphic novel' to the theater, and replicated what was in it.

Of course it was unrealistic, just like the war rhino, but it's still among my favorite movies, just for that: it doesn't pretend to be realistic.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

The only one I saw from the list was Battlefield Earth; which was so bad that it was enthralling.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock