News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Top 10 Blockbusters that sucked

Started by viper37, September 28, 2009, 02:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on September 29, 2009, 08:54:32 AM
My point was that the fighting was just for a Hollywood audience, the single 1vs1 fight scenes ridiculous, kind of lame actually, and far too unrealistic, which wound up ruining the immersion into the movie for me.

Again, that was seemed to be the point. It was sort of like a more masculine-oriented Marie Antoinette as styled by Ms. Coppola. Visual splendor in all its ridiculousness.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2009, 04:39:42 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2009, 03:37:42 PM
Nope. The term originated to describe financially successful movies. They had costumers lined all the down the block waiting for tickets.
I'll let you debate the definition with the Time Magazine journalists ;)

Because It takes a genius to write for Time. :rolleyes:
:p

Agelastus

Quote from: Savonarola on September 29, 2009, 11:24:46 AM
The only one I saw from the list was Battlefield Earth; which was so bad that it was enthralling.   :)

So bad that it put me to sleep...fast... :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

My point was that the fighting was just for a Hollywood audience, the single 1vs1 fight scenes ridiculous, kind of lame actually, and far too unrealistic, which wound up ruining the immersion into the movie for me.

Immersion? You're talking about 300, right?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Agelastus on September 29, 2009, 12:08:29 PM
The only one I saw from the list was Battlefield Earth; which was so bad that it was enthralling.   :)

You missed out; John Travolta and Forest Whitaker acting alone was amazing.  It was like the Futurama aliens from Omicron Persei 8 come to life.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Agelastus

Quote from: Savonarola on September 29, 2009, 12:23:36 PM

You missed out; John Travolta and Forest Whitaker acting alone was amazing.  It was like the Futurama aliens from Omicron Persei 8 come to life.

I actually liked the original book (I couldn't abide anything else by that author, but I read this book when I was ten, so I still possess a soft spot for it.) So the thought of "John Travolta = Terl" made me shudder.

And then the film actually started...and I was asleep.

Just like that.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

KRonn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 29, 2009, 12:08:57 PM

Immersion? You're talking about 300, right?  :huh:
The movie did pretty well starting out showing how the kids were trained, and about Spartan life. So yeah, some kind of immersion, or "getting into" the movie, is always good. Rather than watch it all get tossed away in dumb ass fight scenes, like a hyped up Rambo movie.

But I guess I was expecting/hoping for a deeper story than what it was made to be.

The Brain

Didn't you read about the ninja rhinos etc on Languish before you saw it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Agelastus on September 29, 2009, 12:59:40 PM
The only one I saw from the list was Battlefield Earth; which was so bad that it was enthralling.   :)

I actually liked the original book (I couldn't abide anything else by that author, but I read this book when I was ten, so I still possess a soft spot for it.) So the thought of "John Travolta = Terl" made me shudder.

Just like that.
Chunks of the book were OK.  Most of the first half could have been edited down considerably.  Things improved with the second section and the interplanetary politics.
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 29, 2009, 02:01:21 PM

Chunks of the book were OK.  Most of the first half could have been edited down considerably.  Things improved with the second section and the interplanetary politics.

:bleeding:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 29, 2009, 02:03:56 PM

:bleeding:
Well I didn't say they improved a lot! 
PDH!

Agelastus

Quote from: Agelastus on September 29, 2009, 12:59:40 PM

Just like that.

I would agree with you - the first 400 pages could be reduced to 150 without materially affecting the book.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Korea

I want my mother fucking points!

Ancient Demon

Am I the only one here who liked Waterworld? :blush:
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Alatriste

Quote from: Ancient Demon on September 30, 2009, 12:19:59 AM
Am I the only one here who liked Waterworld? :blush:

It was watchable. Not great, but it certainly wasn't a modern 'Plan 9 from Outer Space'. Sometimes one wonders if film critics have secret yearly meetings in which they decide who's going to be unfairly massacred and who's going to be undeservedly praised to heaven and beyond during the next 12 months.