Quote from: The Brain on September 28, 2009, 03:45:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2009, 03:41:40 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 28, 2009, 03:32:30 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2009, 03:10:48 PM
I've got a confession:

I sorta liked Wild Wild West:Embarrass:

FFS

Will you forgive me?  :(

Since you have confessed your sin you will be absolved in death. Please ascend the pyre.

Praise the emperor!

*dies*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Per IMDB voters:

Speed Racer 6.4
Osmosis Jones 6.0
Waterworld 5.6
Stealth 4.8
Wild Wild West 4.2
Pluto Nash 3.7
Speed 2 3.3
Catwoman 3.2
Gigli/Battlefield Earth 2.3

I'm guessing most of the people who saw Speed Racer were fanboys of the cartoon; that rating is very generous.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 28, 2009, 04:00:25 PM
Per IMDB voters:

Speed Racer 6.4
Osmosis Jones 6.0
Waterworld 5.6
Stealth 4.8
Wild Wild West 4.2
Pluto Nash 3.7
Speed 2 3.3
Catwoman 3.2
Gigli/Battlefield Earth 2.3

I'm guessing most of the people who saw Speed Racer were fanboys of the cartoon; that rating is very generous.
WWW, Speed 2, and Gigli deserve better ratings.  Battlefield Earth does not.

derspiess

Wild Wild West made up for bad script, plot, & acting with pure steampunk goodness.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

The acting in Wild Wild West was superb. :huh:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DisturbedPervert

Only movie on the list that I've seen is Waterworld.  I kinda liked it.

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2009, 03:37:42 PM
Nope. The term originated to describe financially successful movies. They had costumers lined all the down the block waiting for tickets.
I'll let you debate the definition with the Time Magazine journalists ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

I'd replace Wild Wild West with the first star wars prequel. Maybe it wasn't a financial flop in the traditional sense, but it was godawful and probably the damage to the star wars brand was more than any of the films listed lost.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2009, 03:10:48 PM
I've got a confession:

I sorta liked Wild Wild West:Embarrass:

I enjoyed it.  It's good, goofy fun.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Agelastus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 28, 2009, 04:37:12 PM
Only movie on the list that I've seen is Waterworld.  I kinda liked it.

It also ended up making money, IIRC, once overseas box office and video and DVD sales are accounted for.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

Quote from: alfred russel on September 28, 2009, 05:14:58 PM
I'd replace Wild Wild West with the first star wars prequel. Maybe it wasn't a financial flop in the traditional sense, but it was godawful and probably the damage to the star wars brand was more than any of the films listed lost.

Jar-Jar... :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on September 28, 2009, 05:59:20 PM
It also ended up making money, IIRC, once overseas box office and video and DVD sales are accounted for.
Isn't that true of all action movies though?

Agelastus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2009, 06:01:49 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on September 28, 2009, 05:59:20 PM
Isn't that true of all action movies though?

I don't think so. I'm having trouble locating the relevant figures, but can you see something like "Hudson Hawk" (originally marketed and made as an action movie) making money?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Josephus

Guys...haven't any of you heard of Wikipedia? :huh:

Blockbuster, as applied to film or theatre, denotes a very popular and/or successful production. The entertainment industry use was originally theatrical slang referring to a particularly successful play but is now used primarily by the film industry.

he Oxford English Dictionary cites the earliest use of the term in the press when referring to WWII military bombs larger than 4000 lbs; the military did not use the term.[1]

Although some entertainment histories apparently cite it as originally referring to a play that is so successful that competing theaters on the block are "busted" and driven out of business, the OED cites a 1957 use which is simply as a term of "biggest", after the bombs.[2] Whatever its origin, the term quickly caught on as a way to describe a hit, and has subsequently been applied to productions other than plays and films, including novels and multi-million selling computer/console game titles.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on September 28, 2009, 06:09:24 PM
I don't think so. I'm having trouble locating the relevant figures, but can you see something like "Hudson Hawk" (originally marketed and made as an action movie) making money?
Interestingly enough I was just on the verge of typing "since Hudson Hawk" but then I stopped myself because I wasn't sure if it was an action flick.