News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Top 10 Blockbusters that sucked

Started by viper37, September 28, 2009, 02:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Data only includes US box office, some could have been profitable.  Wild Wild West for example made $220 million globally and cost $170 to make, not exactly a flop and it doesn't even include dvds.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2009, 03:17:24 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2009, 03:10:48 PM
I've got a confession:

I sorta liked Wild Wild West:Embarrass:
Watchable.  Big mistake casting Will Smith in the lead.

I seem to remember Robert Conrad saying he wanted to punch Will Smith over his acting.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

After seeing 300 I really think now that the movie is kind of lousy, mainly because of the over done fight scenes. The fighting looks great but is mostly unrealistic, mainly for tv glitz and show, and just so wrong. The movie was probably well enough otherwise in its portrayal of characters and events.

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2009, 02:47:34 PM
I thought this was gonna be a list of successful movies that made a lot of money despite being bad, not just a list of movies that bombed. It's not a blockbuster unless it makes a lot of money.
A blockbuster is a big budget action movie.  It has no correlation to how much money it earns.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2009, 03:28:04 PM
I thought this was gonna be a list of successful movies that made a lot of money despite being bad, not just a list of movies that bombed. It's not a blockbuster unless it makes a lot of money.
A blockbuster is a big budget action movie.  It has no correlation to how much money it earns.

NONE WHATSOEVER :mad:

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on September 28, 2009, 03:21:12 PM
After seeing 300 I really think now that the movie is kind of lousy, mainly because of the over done fight scenes. The fighting looks great but is mostly unrealistic, mainly for tv glitz and show, and just so wrong. The movie was probably well enough otherwise in its portrayal of characters and events.
well, I tend to think that it was a good movie because of the over done fight scenes. :)
No way it could have been a success without the cartoonish element in it, imho.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2009, 03:20:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2009, 03:17:24 PM
I've got a confession:

Watchable.  Big mistake casting Will Smith in the lead.

I seem to remember Robert Conrad saying he wanted to punch Will Smith over his acting.

I want to see William Conrad punch Will Smith. Unlikely though. :(

jimmy olsen

Nope. The term originated to describe financially successful movies. They had costumers lined all the down the block waiting for tickets.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

I think the confusion stems from the fact that people talk about the summer blockbuster season.  But that's a reference to their potential, before they're released.  No one calls an action film a blockbuster after it has tanked.

On a side note, anyone know the origin of the term blockbuster?  Cars maybe, like it has so many horses it busts the engine block?

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2009, 03:37:42 PM

Nope. The term originated to describe financially successful movies. They had costumers lined all the down the block waiting for tickets.

tee hee.

Ed Anger

Darth Wagtaros

Wild Wild West wasn't terrible. But it was bad neough to mean that years could go by between viewings.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2009, 03:37:42 PM
That makes some sense I guess.  But how do costumer's lined up down the block bust it?

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2009, 03:41:40 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 28, 2009, 03:32:30 PM
I've got a confession:

FFS

Will you forgive me?  :(

Since you have confessed your sin you will be absolved in death. Please ascend the pyre.