News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on October 19, 2009, 08:01:48 PM
The law is outdated.  Provide coherent sex-ed, work at alleviating anachronistic pejudices about sex, and you might eliminate hang-ups that create the trauma we spoke before.  All a matte of context I say.

G.

Except that trauma isn't caused simply because we "encourage"(?) kids to be traumatized.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: merithyn on October 19, 2009, 08:16:04 PM
The law is outdated. Provide coherent sex-ed, work at alleviating anachronistic pejudices about sex, and you might eliminate hang-ups that create the trauma we spoke before.  All a matte of context I say.

G.

Given that the United States has tied a whole lot of education money into teaching abstinence in Health class instead of condom use (which isn't allowed until 10th grade), I don't see that part happening any time soon.  <_<

Did you know that the rates of teenage pregnancy has been rising since about 2005?
Gee, wonder why...
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

I'm afraid that Grallon has swayed me to his point of view.  I want to bang teenagers, too.  I want to spooge all over their Facebooks.

merithyn

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 19, 2009, 08:27:12 PM
Did you know that the rates of teenage pregnancy has been rising since about 2005?
Gee, wonder why...

Yes, this is a common topic at school whenever the Abstinence Guy comes. (Yes, they bring in a special teacher for that week of lessons.)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:30:28 PM
Ok, my point (and opposition to CCR's position) was that people above age of consent (which I consider to be around 15-16) should be free to make their own decisions - and I would prefer a parent who raised his kids in a way that would allow them to make such an informed decision themselves, rather than making it a subject to a "my-house-my-rules" fiat, on something as personal and intimate as sexual intercourse.

I disagree with grallon that age of consent is irrelevant or it is "I-take-them-as-I-see-them" but just as I oppose child abuse, I oppose overbearing parents making arbitrary decisions for their children who are capable of making them on their own.

I think my position is the most principled one of the three (the other two presented by grallon and CCR).

Opening myself to fire here by posting this before reading the last page, but "age of consent" is a social norm, not a natural right.  As has been mentioned, most authoritative studies point to a mental "age of maturity" of around 24 for males and 21 for females, so a naturalist should actually be arguing for a higher age of consent.  Also, in response to grallon's position, the obvious flaw (to manipulate his own metaphor) is that the fruit isn't ripe if there's still a lot of green to it- maturity isn't something you wake up with one morning; it is progressive and as slow as any other biological growth; taking years of adolescence to reach full maturity.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2009, 08:26:15 PM
The law is outdated.  Provide coherent sex-ed, work at alleviating anachronistic pejudices about sex, and you might eliminate hang-ups that create the trauma we spoke before.  All a matte of context I say.

G.

Except that trauma isn't caused simply because we "encourage"(?) kids to be traumatized.

I want to traumatize Hanna Montana.
There.  I said it.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2009, 09:06:37 PM
I want to traumatize Hanna Montana.
There.  I said it.

I'd say that I'm sorry for you, but I don't care. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2009, 06:09:34 PM
I recall you opposing the trial of 15 year olds as adults, but here you are defending 15 years as a reasonable age of consent. 

I think that there is naturally a logical problem with the fact that the age at which we consider a person to be an adult and to have all the legal rights and priviliges that we associate with adulthood varies for different rights.  However, one has to realize that those ages limits are always necessarily going to be somewhat arbitrary, and while having one particular age limit for everything would be tidy, there's no compelling reason that I can see that different rights and priviliges shouldn't have different age limits associated with them.  (Which is not to say that I agree with every choice that we've written into law.)

Jaron

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2009, 08:32:42 PM
I'm afraid that Grallon has swayed me to his point of view.  I want to bang teenagers, too.  I want to spooge all over their Facebooks.

Get grumbler to put you on the sub list. :)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 19, 2009, 06:27:48 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:30:28 PM
Ok, my point (and opposition to CCR's position) was that people above age of consent (which I consider to be around 15-16) should be free to make their own decisions - and I would prefer a parent who raised his kids in a way that would allow them to make such an informed decision themselves, rather than making it a subject to a "my-house-my-rules" fiat, on something as personal and intimate as sexual intercourse.
That's reasonable.  How would you respond to someone who said the age of consent should be 12 and you're a Taliban for making it 16?

That I would disagree with, obviously.

The Brain

FWIW I think that the age of consent should be 35, and there should also be land ownership requirements.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2009, 09:37:42 AM
FWIW I think that the age of consent should be 35, and there should also be land ownership requirements.

I QUALIFY!

YES!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on October 19, 2009, 11:45:04 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2009, 06:09:34 PM
I recall you opposing the trial of 15 year olds as adults, but here you are defending 15 years as a reasonable age of consent. 

I think that there is naturally a logical problem with the fact that the age at which we consider a person to be an adult and to have all the legal rights and priviliges that we associate with adulthood varies for different rights.  However, one has to realize that those ages limits are always necessarily going to be somewhat arbitrary, and while having one particular age limit for everything would be tidy, there's no compelling reason that I can see that different rights and priviliges shouldn't have different age limits associated with them.  (Which is not to say that I agree with every choice that we've written into law.)

But can a 15 year old can be presumed sufficiently mature as to give meaningful consent to sex with a much older and experienced person, but at the same time be presumed to have insufficient capacity to grasp the blowing someone's head off in a drive by is an evil act?

I take your point but it seems to me that to the extent different age cutoffs apply to different sorts of age-based limits, the criminal law cutoffs should be lower than age-of-consent cutoffs, because the judgment required for an adoloscent to grasp and control their own emerging sexuality is far more difficult to acquire than the judgment required to understand that (e.g.) murder is bad.  Which makes Martinus' dual positions even more untenable.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2009, 09:37:42 AM

And, of course, only applicable to males.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Grallon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2009, 09:47:27 AM

... it seems to me that to the extent different age cutoffs apply to different sorts of age-based limits, the criminal law cutoffs should be lower than age-of-consent cutoffs, because the judgment required for an adolescent to grasp and control their own emerging sexuality is far more difficult to acquire than the judgment required to understand that (e.g.) murder is bad

This is so disingenuous!   As if we should expect teens to be conversant in sexual theory before engaging in recreational sex.  I maintain they can since they do already with other teens.  In fact what matters here is whether or not they can determine if they really want to accept an offer or if they feel pressured into accepting it.  And that is entirely subjective and should be approached on a case by case basis.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel