And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.C.R.

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 03:37:27 PM
Quote from: C.C.R. on October 19, 2009, 03:24:13 PM
Have some kids & let me know how that works out for you, Sport...

I am equally impervious to grallon's argument ("Only if you fuck teenagers you can say if they can give informed consent") as I am to yours. :P

I think the point of democracy is that we make judgement calls on situations that we do not have a personal experience or stake in. :P

Of course you are impervious to the argument -- you've been trolling from the get-go & really couldn't give a flying fuck about how parents raise their kids so long as they're not stuffing the gay ones in gunny sacks & throwing them off of bridges.  That's why I keep refusing to bite...

:hug:

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2009, 03:52:02 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 03:15:22 PM
Well, your position is essentially that of an islamist. I am not sure if this is because of your relatively low education, your cultural upbringing or some defect of your personality.

Ok I am starting to get your tactic of throwing stuff back at people just like they usually throw being gay back at you.  I will make a note of that.

It's a chicken-and-the-egg paradox.

Did Marty start throwing out irrelevant ad homs because people kept throwing them at him?  Or do people throw ad homs at Marty because he keeps using them?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 04:04:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2009, 03:52:02 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 03:15:22 PM
Well, your position is essentially that of an islamist. I am not sure if this is because of your relatively low education, your cultural upbringing or some defect of your personality.

Ok I am starting to get your tactic of throwing stuff back at people just like they usually throw being gay back at you.  I will make a note of that.

It's a chicken-and-the-egg paradox.

Did Marty start throwing out irrelevant ad homs because people kept throwing them at him?  Or do people throw ad homs at Marty because he keeps using them?

But who has thrown any ad homs at Marty on this topic?

There is only egg here - marty goes into rage-tantrum mode as soon as he says something he knows was stupid (parents are no more capable than teens when it comes to making decisions) and he gets called on it.

It is generally rather effective, since then the discussion changes over to him slinging more and more farcical ad homs (Berkut is a Taliban!), rather than the original stupid thing he said - but at the end of the day, I don't think it really helps his particular cause or his image much.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2009, 04:07:23 PM

Quote from: BerkutI love how self-serving peoples logic is - Marty wants to have sex with teenagers, so he is perfectly willing to undergo whatever mental gyrations are necessary to "justify" it.

Whatever you can say about Marty, he's never shown any interest in adolescents.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 04:10:04 PM

Quote from: BerkutI love how self-serving peoples logic is - Marty wants to have sex with teenagers, so he is perfectly willing to undergo whatever mental gyrations are necessary to "justify" it.

Arguing that is is ok to bang 15 year olds does not count as "interest in adolescents"?

And really - there isn't even anything wrong with finding a 16 year old attractive - plenty of them are very hot - what is wrong is using clearly inane logic to try to justify someone actually acting on that, stuff like claiming parents aren't any more capable of making decisions than kids. Which was my point, and certainly NOT an ad hom, since I was not avoiding his argument in favor of comments like "Berkut is just like the Taliban!".

How can you possibly equate the two?

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2009, 04:16:18 PM
Arguing that is is ok to bang 15 year olds does not count as "interest in adolescents"?

And really - there isn't even anything wrong with finding a 16 year old attractive - plenty of them are very hot - what is wrong is using clearly inane logic to try to justify someone actually acting on that, stuff like claiming parents aren't any more capable of making decisions than kids. Which was my point, and certainly NOT an ad hom, since I was not avoiding his argument in favor of comments like "Berkut is just like the Taliban!".

I hate you for making me seem like I'm defending Marty. :angry:

(I'm not by the way)

Supporting the concept of having an age of consent of 15, and thus making it possible for adults to have sex with 15 year olds, isn't the same as wanting to have sex with 15 year olds yourself.  IIRC you support drug legalization, but it would be inaccurate of me to say you want to snort some blow as soon as its legal.

You threw out a cheap shot at Marty.  Nothing all that wrong with it.  Marty throws out a lot of them himself.  But it is what it is.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 04:10:04 PM

Now you're just being silly. But you know this of course.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 04:19:48 PM

I hate you for making me seem like I'm defending Marty. :angry:

(I'm not by the way)

Really? You are excusing him for calling those who disagree with him fundy islamist talibans by saying it is no different than attacking his argument. If that isn't defending him, then what would be?

Supporting the concept of having an age of consent of 15, and thus making it possible for adults to have sex with 15 year olds, isn't the same as wanting to have sex with 15 year olds yourself.

But pointing out that taking onvisouly ridiculous positions like parents can't make any better decisions anyway, so it is a-ok, is certianly suggestive. It might be wrong, but it is by no means a cheap shot, much less akin to a tempter tantrum "Yyou are just like the Taliban!" response, where he doesn't even bother trying to make an argument.

IIRC you support drug legalization, but it would be inaccurate of me to say you want to snort some blow as soon as its legal.

If I said something like "Drugs should be legal because kids are smarter than their parent anyway, man!" you might not be completely out of line to wonder why I was making such a ridiculous argument to carry a point.
You threw out a cheap shot at Marty.  Nothing all that wrong with it.  Marty throws out a lot of them himself.  But it is what it is.

Pfft, that is weak. I attacked his position, and he responded by calling me an islamic fundy taliban because I said the exact same thing YOU did.

If you think that is all one and the same, then I think you might be the one snorting coke.

0 rows returned

Barrister

I wish we hadn't lost the old Languish.  A long time ago someone once compared debating with Berkut to watching a pitbull on PCP.  It would savagely attack its opponent, but on a moment's notice it would rocket into the crowd seemingly at random.

Don't ever change, you crazy diamond. :hug:

The Minsky Moment

Martinus,

Once again, your position here seems to be in tension with your position that persons under 18 should never be tried as adults.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

:lol:

I come home and find that, like a public restroom in the subway, Marti has smeared the walls of this thread with his Martiness.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2009, 05:32:37 PM
:lol:

I come home and find that, like a public restroom in the subway, Marti has smeared the walls of this thread with his Martiness.

Mart is Rodger from American Dad.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2009, 05:25:21 PM
Martinus,

Once again, your position here seems to be in tension with your position that persons under 18 should never be tried as adults.

I never argued that position. I have repeatedly expressed my surprise at the fact that very young people (12 for example) can be tried as adults in the US. That does not mean I oppose trying people above say 15 (which is also, surprise surprise, the age at which I put age of consent) for more serious crimes as adults.

Or were you trolling me? :)

The Minsky Moment

I recall you opposing the trial of 15 year olds as adults, but here you are defending 15 years as a reasonable age of consent. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:30:28 PM
Ok, my point (and opposition to CCR's position) was that people above age of consent (which I consider to be around 15-16) should be free to make their own decisions - and I would prefer a parent who raised his kids in a way that would allow them to make such an informed decision themselves, rather than making it a subject to a "my-house-my-rules" fiat, on something as personal and intimate as sexual intercourse.
That's reasonable.  How would you respond to someone who said the age of consent should be 12 and you're a Taliban for making it 16?