News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Polanski arrested in Zürich

Started by Syt, September 27, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Seems to me so totally irrelevant to the crime. "My parents died in the Holocaust and my wife was murdered by Manson ... so I was driven to rape a 13 year old". Huh?  :huh:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

BTW Marti don't know if this has come up yet, but how do you square your apparent position here that "consent" by a 13 year old girl should have legal significance, with your position that minors should never be tried as adults because of dimished capacity to form meaningful intent?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 29, 2009, 10:14:06 AM
I personally found Polanski's invocation of his Holocaust experience as some kind of excuse for his flight from justice to be very offensive.
The thing is that this would probably resonate strongly with the French people since I imagine they carry a bit of guilt re: the Holocaust.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on September 29, 2009, 07:04:49 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2009, 05:56:09 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 01:59:53 AMWell it's not like I'm saying he did nothing wrong but saying that he "drugged and raped a child" is a fucking hell of an overreaction. The girl was not a virgin at the time and she was being pimped out by her mother to be a startlet. I don't think any party involved had any doubts as to what will happen if they live a 40 y.o. director with a teenage girl seeking an "audition" in a huge empty villa with a swimming pool, a jacuzzi and a well stocked bar.

He should answer for having sex with an underaged girl, but you make it sound like he picked and drugged some innocent girl from a school playground and then had his way with her.

:lol:
Oh, man.
Seedy, did you know that it's less of a crime to kill whores since, you know, they're filthy whores and all?  I'd only count them as like half of a person for sentencing purposes. :)

Killing hookers and whores is redundant. They're dead inside, anyways.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on September 29, 2009, 10:23:55 AM
Seems to me so totally irrelevant to the crime. "My parents died in the Holocaust and my wife was murdered by Manson ... so I was driven to rape a 13 year old". Huh?  :huh:

Well he lived through the Holocaust and was hiding throughout the war, so that was more of a personal experience, I imagine. I guess this is a take on the "unhappy childhood" argument, that some people employ when it comes to criminals.

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 29, 2009, 10:24:18 AM
BTW Marti don't know if this has come up yet, but how do you square your apparent position here that "consent" by a 13 year old girl should have legal significance, with your position that minors should never be tried as adults because of dimished capacity to form meaningful intent?

I never said it should have legal significance. As I said, I just thought that the description of the act by Merri was factually untrue - I never made an argument that should be taken into account in sentencing - it was just a factual/semantical nitpick.

That being said I don't think it would be unreasonable to make it a much more serious crime if someone actually forcibly rapes a child, as opposed to "just" committing a vanilla statutory rape - but again this is a statement about a relative severity of the two, and not a call to make a vanilla statutory rape a petty offense.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 09:07:34 AM
I was wrong, ok? I had a totally wrong understanding of the case, because that's how it has been presented/implied by the Polish media and all the fuckers who defended him.
Actually, even if you account for the facts, your belief that it was significant to mention that she wasn't a virgin, and that the mother was pushing her career, is still bothersome.  I don't see how anyone with an understanding of the law could make such assertions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 10:37:07 AM

Well he lived through the Holocaust and was hiding throughout the war, so that was more of a personal experience, I imagine. I guess this is a take on the "unhappy childhood" argument, that some people employ when it comes to criminals.

I suppose so - though one could point out that having an "unhappy childhood' doesn't doom one to become a criminal: some overcome "unhappy childhoods" to go on to achieve great things. Like become famous movie directors, for example.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2009, 10:42:04 AM
I was wrong, ok? I had a totally wrong understanding of the case, because that's how it has been presented/implied by the Polish media and all the fuckers who defended him.
Actually, even if you account for the facts, your belief that it was significant to mention that she wasn't a virgin, and that the mother was pushing her career, is still bothersome.  I don't see how anyone with an understanding of the law could make such assertions.

See my response to Joan above - I was just commenting on the factual accuracy of Merri's post, not making a legal or a moral judgement.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on September 29, 2009, 10:42:55 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 10:37:07 AM

I suppose so - though one could point out that having an "unhappy childhood' doesn't doom one to become a criminal: some overcome "unhappy childhoods" to go on to achieve great things. Like become famous movie directors, for example.  ;)

I know - again, since it seems like you really need to spell out everything on Languish or your post will be interpreted in the worst possible way, I don't think this is a particularly strong or reasonable argument; it's just that some people seem to think it is. ;)

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2009, 10:42:04 AM

I think it's illegal to even bring that up in a US rape case.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 10:43:49 AM
See my response to Joan above - I was just commenting on the factual accuracy of Merri's post, not making a legal or a moral judgement.
No, you were not.  Meri never mentioned the mother or virginity.  You were accusing her of over-reacting, and offering these as examples of why the offense didn't deserve her reaction.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2009, 11:08:54 AM
I'd be interested to discovery if the victim's status as a non-virgin is a mitigating or extenuating factor even in Polish law.

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2009, 08:20:44 AM
I mean surely there is somebody in France glad to see that rapist dude arrested.
Apparently comments and letters to newspapers are 50/50 and there's been a few anti-Polanski articles.  But, as the Guardian says, this is the country that gave Jean Genet a full and irrevocable pardon - so he could never be sent to prison again - because of his art.
Let's bomb Russia!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2009, 11:17:29 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2009, 11:08:54 AM
I'd be interested to discovery if the victim's status as a non-virgin is a mitigating or extenuating factor even in Polish law.

It used to be so in US law, I believe. Don't know how long ago - 1950s?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help