Federal government tough on crime, but also on prosecutors

Started by Barrister, September 23, 2009, 12:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

QuoteFederal lawyers still in wage dispute
Shannon Kari, National Post 
Published: Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Law and order is one of the priorities of the government of Stephen Harper, although it remains in drawn-out negotiations over compensation for the very people who prosecute offenders.

Since his election as Prime Minister in 2006, the federal government has pledged nearly $200-million in additional funding to hire 1,000 new RCMP officers.

Canada Border Services Agency employees were granted an exemption from newly enacted federal wage restraints, to ensure it retains quality personnel.

There have also been a number of crime bills introduced, some of which are controversial and may require Crown lawyers to defend the changes in court against constitutional challenges.

At the same time, the Treasury Board has been involved in sometimes fractious contract negotiations for the past three years with federal prosecutors and all other Justice Department lawyers.

An arbitrator's decision is expected soon after a hearing this summer. Yet the terms of the Expenditure Restraint Act restrict any salary increase to about nine per cent over five years.

This will do little to end wage gaps as high as 30% between federal Crowns and some of their provincial counterparts, says the association that represents federal lawyers.

"This can't sustain itself. There are recruitment and retention problems," said Marco Mendicino, acting president of the Association of Justice Counsel, which acts for the more than 2500 lawyers employed by the federal government. "Lawyers are leaving in droves," he stated.

Federal lawyers prosecute drug and terrorism cases, handle extraditions and immigration proceedings and act for government departments in all civil matters. The wage differences are most acute at the entry level and for senior lawyers.

Six provinces offer first-year Crown attorneys significantly more money than the $54,000 salary for an entry-level federal prosecutor.

The $167,800 maximum salary for the most senior of federal lawyers is slightly less than the top Crowns receive in Alberta and British Columbia. It is far behind the $196,965 top rate in Ontario, which has the highest paid provincial Crown attorneys in Canada (about half of all federal lawyers work in Ontario).

In fact, nearly 500 provincial Crown attorneys in Ontario made over $175,000 in salary and bonuses last year-all above the federal maximum-with more than 60 earning over $200,000, according to salary disclosure data. The top earning provincial trial prosecutor in Toronto was paid $228,000 last year.

Even if the arbitrator awards the maximum nine per cent increase, a senior federal drug prosecutor in Toronto (who receives a cost of living premium not paid to federal lawyers in the rest of the country) will still earn 20% less in 2011 than a provincial Crown with similar experience made in 2008.

The differences are similar in other jurisdictions such as B.C., where a senior federal lawyer makes about 20% less than an equivalent provincial Crown attorney.

The arbitration hearing is "round one" in the attempt to receive more compensation and recognition from the federal government, said Mr. Mendicino. An exemption from the provisions of the restraint legislation, which was enacted this spring but is retroactive to 2006, is what the federal lawyers are seeking. "Otherwise, we should anticipate that more of our top talent will leave to go work for our provincial counterparts," predicted Mr. Mendicino.

He added that the new crime bills, such as the mandatory minimums for marijuana cultivation, may result in more contested bail hearings and trials and increase the need for federal prosecutorial resources.

The Treasury Board disputed many of the arguments put forward by the federal lawyers in written arguments filed with the arbitration panel. "It is important to consider the total compensation package," said the government, pointing to pensions and other benefits.

Robert Makichuk, chief of media relations for the Treasury Board, said he was "not at liberty" to comment while the issues are still before the arbitration panel.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2021568

:angry:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Thank you Steven Harper, for guarding our hard-earned tax dollars.  ;)

J/K. Those wages are too low to be competitive (though gotta factor in the value of that amazing pension plan ... )
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Berkut

Latest stats show that Monroe county has the 2nd highest property tax rate in the country. First is Niagara county. I think they said on the radio that all ten of the highest rates were in western New York.

And they fight and bicker over why the economy in upstate NY sucks so bad.

Go go public employee unions!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

KRonn

About time someone cracked down on those damn pesky prosecutors, even if it's in Canada. If this had been done long before we wouldn't have had that poor OJ Simpson have to go through all that unseemly trial and court stuff, for instance.   :cool:

The Brain

Barrister

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on September 23, 2009, 12:17:58 PM
Latest stats show that Monroe county has the 2nd highest property tax rate in the country. First is Niagara county. I think they said on the radio that all ten of the highest rates were in western New York.

What does this have to do with how much Canadian Federal prosecutors are paid? :huh:

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2009, 12:23:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 23, 2009, 12:19:15 PM
How many Canadian federal prosecutors are Indians?

The one down the hall is.

Aren't you obliged to turn him in, Mr. If-I-see-an-illegal-post-I-will-tell?

Jacob

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on September 23, 2009, 12:17:58 PM

Maybe it's just lazy people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on September 23, 2009, 12:25:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2009, 12:23:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 23, 2009, 12:19:15 PM
How many Canadian federal prosecutors are Indians?

The one down the hall is.

Aren't you obliged to turn him in, Mr. If-I-see-an-illegal-post-I-will-tell?

:rolleyes:

It's a her, Mr. Smartypants.