Marriage - Your Cost-Benefit Analysis.

Started by Armyknife, September 21, 2009, 02:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

charliebear

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2009, 03:47:49 PM

And I just had my 3rd anniversay a few weeks ago, so I'm not exactly a blushing newlywed.   :blush:

Has it been three years already?  Seems like just yesterday.

Barrister

Quote from: charliebear on September 23, 2009, 11:13:00 AM

And I just had my 3rd anniversay a few weeks ago, so I'm not exactly a blushing newlywed.   :blush:

For me too.   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 21, 2009, 03:19:13 PMIf both incomes are essentially equal I suppose there is an argument for pooling resources but once those incomes diverge that kind of argument goes out the window.  The point is that if you are getting married or entering a relationship because you see some economic benefit then you are on some very shaky ground since whatever financial advantage you might see now is fleeting at best.

I disagree, for a few reasons. The first is, as BB has outlined, that some of your expenses are fixed whether it's a two person household or one.  For example, in buying a house you are likely to end up living in a nicer house if you finance it based on two incomes.

Secondly, as a matter of risk management even the person with the higher income benefits from the security of being able to rely on a partner in times of trouble.  Again, looking at a house, if your spouse's income can manage the mortgage (even if barely) that leaves you in a better position if you're between jobs, which again leaves you in a better position when it comes to negotiate salary etc (because it would not be a disaster to leave).

Similarly, if you're self-employed or work on contracts, having two incomes smoothes out the distribution which can make things a lot more comfortable.

This, of course, assumes you're not filthy rich (in which case it doesn't matter) and that the incomes are not completely disparate ($ 500 000 year professional with minimum wage barrista).

... of course, it's true that you shouldn't get married (or not) purely based on financial analysis  :bowler:

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2009, 11:08:59 AM
I don't cook gas station food. ^_^

Indeed. I don't think most gas stations are wretched enough to sell roadkill.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2009, 11:24:17 AM
Quote from: charliebear on September 23, 2009, 11:13:00 AM

For me too.   :)
Me too. Oh wait, I mean, my marriage is, like, sooo yesterday.