News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Marriage - Your Cost-Benefit Analysis.

Started by Armyknife, September 21, 2009, 02:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Armyknife on September 21, 2009, 06:27:34 PM
Great, a topic that can be discussed in any number of terms is ruined by two cannucks arguing about a strickly financial issue. :rolleyes:

:P

You, sir, are totally incorrect.

It was three canucks.  :contract:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

This is an interesting thread.

I am actually a proponent of rather "meta-rational" cost benefit analysis of what you get out of marriage, and I think both parties should be rather aware not only of what THEY are getting at what cost, but what their partner is getting and at what cost.

However, the financial portion of that analysis is pretty low on the scale of important things to measure, IMO, and I am someone who has two kids and only one income.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Brazen

"Marriage isn't a word, it's a sentence."

"Marriage is an institution, and I'm not ready for an institution."

Brazen

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 21, 2009, 06:31:51 PM
One of my friends(36) is on his 3rd wife. First one was a cunt, the 2nd was a whore and the 3rd, who knows?

On the 4th wife, I hope he punts. I'm tired of buying gifts for his weddings.
My ex boyfriend from Uni is on his third divorce, with three kids all with different surnames, none of them the same as his...

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on September 21, 2009, 08:02:05 PM
An important financial benefit of marriage is insurance.  If one person becomes unemployed, the other can take up the slack.  Same if one person gets hit with a major illness.

It's a good point - though it should be pointed out that marriage's value as insurance is considerably greater for the low earner, as on divorce the high earner will be expected to subsidize the low earner.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

I will give you Ed Anger's marriage checklist. If I had Visio on this system, I'd make a flowchart

1) Is she smart? If yes, then continue

2) is she good looking? Is her Mom good looking? If Yes, continue

3) Does she nag? If yes, ABORT. No? Keep going

4) Will she sign a pre-nup? Yes? Keep going

5) Does she tolerate your quirks? Yes, keep going

6) Likes sports? Yes? JESUS TAPDANCING CHRIST, GET HER A RING.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Brazen

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2009, 09:12:55 AM
I will give you Ed Anger's marriage checklist. If I had Visio on this system, I'd make a flowchart

5) Does she tolerate you quirks? Yes, keep going

Interesting. So I don't make another mistake, could you advise on a marriage checklist for women plzkthx.

C.C.R.

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 21, 2009, 04:37:44 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 21, 2009, 04:31:19 PM
But it is true when a person is single as well.

Yes but in that instance you are only paying for your own increase in standard of living.  When married you are paying for that increase for one other person who cannot pay for the increase based on their own income (keeping kids out of it).

From a solely "Dollars and Cents" angle I agree.  Over the course of our thirteen year marriage I have clearly brought home more money, yet my wife has historically outspent me in Discretionary Expenses (an Out-Of-My-Ass Guesstimate would be at a 3 to 2 or 4 to 3 ratio).

That being said, though, there are other factors involved with the delicate intricacies of maintaining a 2+ person home that transcend the scope of pure finances:  namely, Chores.  Cleaning, cooking, laundry, necessary errands (grocery shopping, etc), dishes, yardwork (if necessary) -- and this isn't even including what's invoved once you add children to the mix.

In my own situation, the disparity in monetary income has been more than offset by the reverse disparity in who does Household Chores, leading me to personally feel that the extra money that I have brought into the marriage has been an excellent investment towards Free Time that would otherwise be spent on less savory endeavours...

Ed Anger

For fun, I like to drop the "my money" line.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2009, 09:12:55 AM

5) Does she tolerate your quirks? Yes, keep going

I'd leave out number 1 and replace 6 with video games.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

C.C.R.

Brazen

I have always been the major breadwinner (and major spender of reseources) in every relationship I've been in. It used to be I earned so much it would have been tough for most people to keep up. Now, it seems whatever level my wages fall to, I always manage to find a man earning less :D

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2009, 10:36:26 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 22, 2009, 10:35:41 AM
I'd leave out number 1 and replace 6 with video games.

Video games make women fat.

WoW, yes. Since all Warcraft players are anti-social fatties.