Marriage - Your Cost-Benefit Analysis.

Started by Armyknife, September 21, 2009, 02:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armyknife

Do a cost-benefit analysis of what marriage/long term relationship means to you, what would it look like ?

I think this one might strike a cord with one or two of us:

"Marry:
Constant companion
A friend in old age

Not marry:
Less money for books
The terrible loss of time" *

:cool:

*stolen from a rather famous person.

Caliga

Quote from: Armyknife on September 21, 2009, 02:09:23 PM
Do a cost-benefit analysis of what marriage/long term relationship means to you, what would it look like ?

I think this one might strike a cord with one or two of us:

"Marry:
Constant companion
A friend in old age

Not marry:
Less money for books
The terrible loss of time" *

:cool:

*stolen from a rather famous person.

OP preserved since within a few hours I'll be replaced with a random smilie. -_-
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

In terms of quotes I like this definition of marriage from The Devil's Dictionary:

MARRIAGE, n. The state or condition of a community consisting of a master, a mistress and two slaves, making in all, two.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

If you look at it from a strictly financial perspective it makes no sense.  But then again if you are looking at it from a strictly financial perspective you shouldnt be getting married.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 21, 2009, 02:46:13 PM
If you look at it from a strictly financial perspective it makes no sense.  But then again if you are looking at it from a strictly financial perspective you shouldnt be getting married.

Yet Mono got married...I am so confused.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Are you talking about marriage or child bearing?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2009, 02:46:44 PM

Yet Mono got married...I am so confused.

Which leads me to believe his online persona may not be an accurate reflection of his true self.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2009, 02:48:00 PM

One normally follows the other but if we talk about childless couples, from the perspective of the lower wage earner its a great financial deal.  Not so great from the perspective of the higher wage earner.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Armyknife on September 21, 2009, 02:51:35 PM

So what is your perspective/ C.B.A ?

What does the Canadian Bar Association have to do with this?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 21, 2009, 02:58:40 PM
Surely he's talking about the Continental Basketball Association.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 21, 2009, 02:58:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2009, 02:48:00 PM

One normally follows the other but if we talk about childless couples, from the perspective of the lower wage earner its a great financial deal.  Not so great from the perspective of the higher wage earner.

As the higher-wage-earner (but not dramatically so) - how do you figure?  We finance a household based on two incomes.  Many (although not all) of our expenses would be exactly the same whether or not there was one or two people in the household.  Marriage is a financial winner.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2009, 03:03:43 PM
As the higher-wage-earner (but not dramatically so) - how do you figure?  We finance a household based on two incomes.  Many (although not all) of our expenses would be exactly the same whether or not there was one or two people in the household.  Marriage is a financial winner.

If both incomes are essentially equal I suppose there is an argument for pooling resources but once those incomes diverge that kind of argument goes out the window.  The point is that if you are getting married or entering a relationship because you see some economic benefit then you are on some very shaky ground since whatever financial advantage you might see now is fleeting at best.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2009, 03:00:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 21, 2009, 02:58:40 PM
Surely he's talking about the Continental Basketball Association.

Good point.