FDA, in first tobacco action, bans flavors

Started by garbon, September 22, 2009, 08:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

So this is bad news for shisha smokers, isn't it.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

DGuller

Quote from: saskganesh on September 23, 2009, 03:27:45 PM
its an unnecessary form of protectionism, as American smokes must have 75% domestic product.  unless they have recently changed that.
When has protectionism ever been necessary?  Besides, in an industry worth many tens of billions in revenue every year, a couple of percentage points here and there adds up to some serious coin.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2009, 08:43:54 AM
The only flavoured tobacco I'm aware of here is shisha pipes.
Hadn't thought of that.  I love Shisha.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Are they going to ban all those godawful flavours of pipe tobacco?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

saskganesh

Quote from: DGuller on September 23, 2009, 03:38:56 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on September 23, 2009, 03:27:45 PM
its an unnecessary form of protectionism, as American smokes must have 75% domestic product.  unless they have recently changed that.
When has protectionism ever been necessary? 

because in this case, domestic producers benefit, creating social stability and prosperity in rural communities, also leading to votes for the politician who acts to protects domestic industries. so some people may think those are all good things.

humans were created in their own image

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2009, 12:11:20 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 22, 2009, 10:12:46 PM
Cloves are the preserve of the pretentious/wannabes, at least beyond a passing smoke.

Menthols are definitely associated with the Black smoking culture, but I know plenty of gay men and lower-class white men who smoke them just as passionately as any African-American.
Well FU, Mihali. :lol:  Maybe I'm just alive with pleasure.
You're alright, since you're still lower-class.

Once you graduate from law school and start practicing, you're either going to have to smoke like a man or go faggot.

I know which one Grallon's hoping that you choose.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on September 23, 2009, 03:51:11 PM

You got a problem with Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake custom blend?  :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2009, 03:33:26 PM
That would be the answer to a blackguy doing menthols.
That most of them do just adds to the steryotype but makes it very freaky.

It adds to the stereotype that black people engage in thug culture?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2009, 08:58:57 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 23, 2009, 03:51:11 PM

You got a problem with Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake custom blend?  :D
\

Do it for the kiddies. Won't someone think of the children?!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius