FDA, in first tobacco action, bans flavors

Started by garbon, September 22, 2009, 08:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 22, 2009, 10:12:46 PM
Menthols are definitely associated with the Black smoking culture, but I know plenty of gay men and lower-class white men who smoke them just as passionately as any African-American.

I used to smoke "Basic Menthols."  Talk about raw.

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on September 22, 2009, 10:15:56 PM
As does the article you posted.  :contract:

Oh I'm sorry but that's already been discussed, grandpa. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

It was worth posting twice.  I have to stay in the list now, after all.

Josquius

Still, the bill excludes any immediate action on menthol, or mint, flavored cigarettes that are used by as many as 12 million Americans, including most African-American smokers. Lawmakers instead called on the FDA to study the issue.
:blink:
WTF?
:lol:
Weird, black culture tend to be big on the 'tough' thing yet there they are puffing menthols.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2009, 07:33:41 AM
Still, the bill excludes any immediate action on menthol, or mint, flavored cigarettes that are used by as many as 12 million Americans, including most African-American smokers. Lawmakers instead called on the FDA to study the issue.
WTF?
Weird, black culture tend to be big on the 'tough' thing yet there they are puffing menthols.
It's also very big on being illogical and stupid.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Strix

Quote from: derspiess on September 22, 2009, 09:24:20 PM
QuoteThe Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids

Can't we just let the decline in smoking continue its natural course, instead of wasting money on stupid billboards & faux-guerrilla tactic TV commercials?  Everyone knows smoking is bad for you.

Isn't there an increase in smoking among teens and younger adults?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Viking

This stuff doesn't even smokeflavour the air...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Brazen

The only flavoured tobacco I'm aware of here is shisha pipes.

C.C.R.

[eddie murphy]

That's a Persian rug.  It's from Persia.  What is this shit here?  Hold up!  Hey, who's been
putting out their Kools on my floor?  Who has been putting out their Kools on my floor?

[/eddie murphy]

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2009, 07:33:41 AM
WTF?

Oh wow, you can't rely on your precious little stereotypes. :cry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 22, 2009, 10:12:46 PM
Cloves are the preserve of the pretentious/wannabes, at least beyond a passing smoke.

Menthols are definitely associated with the Black smoking culture, but I know plenty of gay men and lower-class white men who smoke them just as passionately as any African-American.
Well FU, Mihali. :lol:  Maybe I'm just alive with pleasure.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Something occurred to me. For the US manufacturers, flavored cigarettes have to be a laughably small portion of their business---except maybe for menthols. The other stuff like clove and whatnot are more or less dominated by foreign companies like Djarum. How much did the tobacco companies fight this, anyway?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 23, 2009, 01:56:08 PM
Something occurred to me. For the US manufacturers, flavored cigarettes have to be a laughably small portion of their business---except maybe for menthols. The other stuff like clove and whatnot are more or less dominated by foreign companies like Djarum. How much did the tobacco companies fight this, anyway?
Hmm, interesting point.  It does stink of hidden protectionism.

saskganesh

its an unnecessary form of protectionism, as American smokes must have 75% domestic product.  unless they have recently changed that.

American tobacco companies are likely not fighting hard as they have huge growth in both smokers and production in the ROTW.
humans were created in their own image

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on September 23, 2009, 09:10:35 AM

Oh wow, you can't rely on your precious little stereotypes. :cry:
That would be the answer to a blackguy doing menthols.
That most of them do just adds to the steryotype but makes it very freaky.
██████
██████
██████