News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reserved phone numbers - go UK!

Started by Brazen, September 23, 2009, 07:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Sick of hearing 555 numbers in American movies because there's only a pool of 100 to chose from (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_number): Come to the UK where we have a set of 20,000 realistic geographic and non-geographic numbers!
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/num_drama

Also handy for testing software etc.

OK, OK, I guess you add different area codes to them, but really, America, you do have the most primitive numbering system. Geographic cellphone codes which mean you have to pay to receive calls? Get a life!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2009, 07:29:02 AM
but really, America, you do have the most primitive numbering system. Geographic cellphone codes which mean you have to pay to receive calls? Get a life!

I can't tell if you are serious or not. bravo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Geographic cellphone codes? WTF is that?

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2009, 07:39:19 AM
They're not specific to cell phones, but we have area codes based (roughly) on geography.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

How does geographic mobile codes even work?
It depends on where the shop you buy the phone at is?
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2009, 07:41:05 AM
They're not specific to cell phones, but we have area codes based (roughly) on geography.

And I'm still pissed they split 513 into 513 and 937.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2009, 07:29:02 AM
OK, OK, I guess you add different area codes to them, but really, America, you do have the most primitive numbering system. Geographic cellphone codes which mean you have to pay to receive calls? Get a life!

We don't pay to receive cell calls because of the geographic system. We pay because the cellular system relies on taking up part of a privately-owned tower's broadcast, so there's limited use available- if I get into an area with a really high number of T-Mobile users, for example, I'll sometimes get a "Network is Busy" error when I try to make a call because I can't get a signal onto a full tower. Sav would probably be able to explain this better than me.
Experience bij!

Brazen

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 23, 2009, 07:32:48 AM
The whole US cellphone system is backward FWIW. Your yokel jaws must just hit the floor when you come to the free smartphone handset, all the 3G you can eat haven that is Europe.

Grey Fox

555-0001 to 555-9999 is more then 100 choices.

Freaking Euros that can't count.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2009, 07:48:54 AM

Frickin' Yanks can't read. From the wiki link:
QuoteHowever, today only numbers beginning with 555-01xx are reserved for fiction and other 555-numbers can be allocated to "information providers". A side effect of the fictional-number pool being reduced to 100 numbers is that the same ones now often recur in different movies or TV shows. The "958" and "959" exchanges have also been reserved for similar purposes in most localities, and as a result very few individuals or businesses have telephone numbers beginning with those sets of digits either (although this fact is not as well known, so such numbers have not been used in a fictional context).

Ed Anger

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2009, 07:48:44 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 23, 2009, 07:32:48 AM
The whole US cellphone system is backward FWIW. Your yokel jaws must just hit the floor when you come to the free smartphone handset, all the 3G you can eat haven that is Europe.

You've descended into Euroretardism. I had hopes for you B. :weep:

Brazen

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 23, 2009, 07:50:46 AM
You've descended into Euroretardism. I had hopes for you B. :weep:
Sorry Ed. It's a one off. We all have occasional mornings when we wake up and think, "Must... mock... Americans...". It's something they put in our water. Probably the same stuff that gives us bad teeth and poor hygiene.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2009, 07:50:37 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2009, 07:48:54 AM

Frickin' Yanks can't read. From the wiki link:
QuoteHowever, today only numbers beginning with 555-01xx are reserved for fiction and other 555-numbers can be allocated to "information providers". A side effect of the fictional-number pool being reduced to 100 numbers is that the same ones now often recur in different movies or TV shows. The "958" and "959" exchanges have also been reserved for similar purposes in most localities, and as a result very few individuals or businesses have telephone numbers beginning with those sets of digits either (although this fact is not as well known, so such numbers have not been used in a fictional context).

& yet movie producers/writers don't always use that rule.

also, not a yank.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

867-5309-eeeeee-yeeeein
867-5309-eeeeee-yeeeein
867-5309-eeeeee-yeeeein
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2009, 07:41:05 AM

We also have area codes based on geography, but only for land lines, they don't apply to cellphones. How does that work for cells?