Reserved phone numbers - go UK!

Started by Brazen, September 23, 2009, 07:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2009, 08:02:05 AM
867-5309-eeeeee-yeeeein
867-5309-eeeeee-yeeeein
867-5309-eeeeee-yeeeein

I was actually thinking of posting that, but got derailed. Brazen, this is why we stick to easily recognizable reserved numbers most of the time:

http://www.oldskoolphreak.com/tfiles/phreak/jenny07.txt
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2009, 08:04:45 AM
Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2009, 07:41:05 AM
Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2009, 07:39:19 AM
Geographic cellphone codes? WTF is that?
They're not specific to cell phones, but we have area codes based (roughly) on geography.

We also have area codes based on geography, but only for land lines, they don't apply to cellphones. How does that work for cells?

Same way.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

When it comes to numbers nothing beats the Brits ... 0118999 88199 9119725 ...3.

Brazen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 23, 2009, 08:05:14 AM
I was actually thinking of posting that, but got derailed. Brazen, this is why we stick to easily recognizable reserved numbers most of the time:

http://www.oldskoolphreak.com/tfiles/phreak/jenny07.txt
:D

Maybe a quick solution would be to euthanise anyone who dials a number that appears on TV or in a movie with an electric shock through the phone line to eradicate that trait from the gene pool.

Brazen

One of the things the company I work for does is do the back-end work for short codes, so you can dial 118118 etc. rather than 11 digits.

sbr

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2009, 07:50:37 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2009, 07:48:54 AM
555-0001 to 555-9999 is more then 100 choices.

Freaking Euros that can't count.
Frickin' Yanks can't read. From the wiki link:
QuoteHowever, today only numbers beginning with 555-01xx are reserved for fiction and other 555-numbers can be allocated to "information providers". A side effect of the fictional-number pool being reduced to 100 numbers is that the same ones now often recur in different movies or TV shows. The "958" and "959" exchanges have also been reserved for similar purposes in most localities, and as a result very few individuals or businesses have telephone numbers beginning with those sets of digits either (although this fact is not as well known, so such numbers have not been used in a fictional context).

But we also have a couple hundred area codes which leaves more than enough phone numbers for movies.

DisturbedPervert

Savonarola

We also have area codes based on geography, but only for land lines, they don't apply to cellphones. How does that work for cells?

Usually it's based on your billing address; by law you can keep your number if you change addresses or change your carriers.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 23, 2009, 07:45:45 AM
We don't pay to receive cell calls because of the geographic system. We pay because the cellular system relies on taking up part of a privately-owned tower's broadcast, so there's limited use available- if I get into an area with a really high number of T-Mobile users, for example, I'll sometimes get a "Network is Busy" error when I try to make a call because I can't get a signal onto a full tower. Sav would probably be able to explain this better than me.

If you get a "Network Busy" error it means all the radios on the cell site are in use and the network cannot connect you.  You can get that problem on a landline phone as well; if you ever have dialed a number and gotten a busy signal that sounds faster than a normal one it's because the phone system has used up all it's available trunks.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

it depends on where you register your phone and who is the provider.
You may buy your cell phone in a city and have it registered in another city if you want to.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

One thing I love about the Yukon - although we do have to dial 7, or even 10 numbers (depending on whether it's long distance or not) most of the time you can get away with just quoting 4 digits as your number.  Outside of whitehorse every town had the same prefex (e.g. Watson Lake - 536), so residents can tell people "my number is 1234".

:cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

Quote from: viper37 on September 23, 2009, 09:38:27 AM
it depends on where you register your phone and who is the provider.
You may buy your cell phone in a city and have it registered in another city if you want to.
... if you're a drug dealer.

MadBurgerMaker

Unlimited data/minutes and extensive contacts list (actually dialing phones numbers is for scubs.  This applies to work too, because if the person isn't important enough to have an extension, fuck em) crew checking in.  :cool:  :P

Brazen

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 23, 2009, 10:48:08 AM
Unlimited data/minutes and extensive contacts list (actually dialing phones numbers is for scubs.  This applies to work too, because if the person isn't important enough to have an extension, fuck em) crew checking in.  :cool:  :P
At my work we can call, text and send reminders from IRC.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2009, 10:49:30 AM
At my work we can call, text and send reminders from IRC.

We can too sort of (well we use Spark), but it's not the same as actually talking to someone over their shitty desk phone through your shitty desk phone.

Edit:  Actually, Spark has become more of a group chat/bullshitting thing than anything else, email is sent out for updates and reminders (and dumbass FW:FW:FW:FW: stuff), and the phones are used for directly bitching someone out or telling them to come here so you can do so in person (along with the usual phone things), etc.