And we're back!

Main Menu

Reserved phone numbers - go UK!

Started by Brazen, September 23, 2009, 07:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Savonarola on September 23, 2009, 01:46:09 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2009, 01:39:20 PM

I thought WiMax was still only available in Baltimore, but I'm not sure.  They are advertising it in Sprint stores here, but I don't think it's available yet.

It looks like you're right.  Avoid Sprint like the plague then;their service is awful.
Fixed

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Savonarola on September 23, 2009, 09:06:52 AM
If you get a "Network Busy" error it means all the radios on the cell site are in use and the network cannot connect you.  You can get that problem on a landline phone as well; if you ever have dialed a number and gotten a busy signal that sounds faster than a normal one it's because the phone system has used up all it's available trunks.

So yeah. More limited radio capacity would explain why I get that somewhat frequently. Anyway, I knew about the fast busy, but I was only really trained in terrestrial phone engineering and never had much of a chance to learn the technical side of cellular- we mostly overrode it and used our own phone routing for our purposes.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2009, 01:39:20 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 23, 2009, 12:54:13 PM
Has Sprint launched WiMax in your market?  If so hold off for the Android.  I know some people who have worked for Sprint on 4G launches and they say WiMax technology is blazing fast.

I thought WiMax was still only available in Baltimore, but I'm not sure.  They are advertising it in Sprint stores here, but I don't think it's available yet.

My wish list for my next phone is:
*Android OS
*physical qwerty keyboard
*16x9 (ish) screen
*wifi

This is in addition to all the stuff we take for granted now.

If it turns out to match the rumors, the InstinctQ may fit the bill: http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/19/samsung-instinctq-for-sprint-pictured-imagine-a-g1-but-better/

I'm going to the Sprint store tonight to try out the HTC Hero (Sprint's first Android phone).  If I like it enough, I might be willing to give up on a physical keyboard :o

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2009, 08:02:05 AM
867-5309-eeeeee-yeeeein
867-5309-eeeeee-yeeeein
867-5309-eeeeee-yeeeein

Haha...I pity the person who has that phone number!   :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: KRonn on October 15, 2009, 12:30:49 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2009, 08:02:05 AM
867-5309-eeeeee-yeeeein
867-5309-eeeeee-yeeeein
867-5309-eeeeee-yeeeein

Haha...I pity the person who has that phone number!   :lol:

This the same song is there another about a girl called Ilene/Irene/Whatever ?

http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/8675309.asp
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

I'm freed from the shackles of WinMo 6.1 & am now experiencing pure Android goodness.  The Hero is a solid phone, and I can actually type a full sentence on the on-screen keyboard in landscape mode.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2009, 10:57:40 PM
I'm freed from the shackles of WinMo 6.1 & am now experiencing pure Android goodness.  The Hero is a solid phone, and I can actually type a full sentence on the on-screen keyboard in landscape mode.

They just released Windows Mobile 6.5.  I wonder if it doesn't totally suck ass like 6.1.

Brazen

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2009, 10:57:40 PM
That's what I have (and have been stalking you on) - rebranded G2 by T-Mobile UK for no readily apparent reason.

bogh

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 15, 2009, 11:24:49 PM
They just released Windows Mobile 6.5.  I wonder if it doesn't totally suck ass like 6.1.

I've read some very angry reviews, saying that's really terrible.

I am quite happy with my Nokia E71. I actually like that it's a phone for grown ups (no smilies etc.), so thus far no reason to flush it in the toilet and ask for a new one.

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 15, 2009, 11:24:49 PM

The thing to keep in mind is that it is 6.5, not 7.  People's expectations should have been set accordingly. 

The one bright shining light for the line of phones running 6.5 is this:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/06/htc-touch-hd2-hands-on/

But from what I hear, what makes this phone great is the stuff HTC added on top of WinMo 6.5, rather than 6.5 itself.

dps

Quote from: katmai on September 23, 2009, 12:19:24 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 23, 2009, 09:00:06 AM
Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2009, 08:04:45 AM

We also have area codes based on geography, but only for land lines, they don't apply to cellphones. How does that work for cells?

Usually it's based on your billing address; by law you can keep your number if you change addresses or change your carriers.

Yep my cell number has a philly area code still.

Yeah, aa kept her WV number for a while after we moved to NC, but eventually changed it so that people around here with land lines (particularly prospective employers) wouldn't have to call long distance.