News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reserved phone numbers - go UK!

Started by Brazen, September 23, 2009, 07:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2009, 12:13:13 PM
Okay, now you guys got me thinking about phones too much.  I'm eligible for subsidized pricing on a new phone, and I'm ready to ditch this generally reliable but boring Moto Q9c.  I'm really tempted to get a Palm Pre, but that tiny keyboard may be a deal-breaker.

My sensible, professional side (or what's left of it) says get the Blackberry Tour 9650 but it would feel too much like what I have now.

I should just hold off until Sprint's two Android phones come out in the next few weeks.  But what will I do for instant gratification?  :(

Don't you love america? Aren't you patriotic?

Spend my friend, spend!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Quote from: Savonarola on September 23, 2009, 09:00:06 AM
Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2009, 08:04:45 AM

We also have area codes based on geography, but only for land lines, they don't apply to cellphones. How does that work for cells?

Usually it's based on your billing address; by law you can keep your number if you change addresses or change your carriers.

Yep my cell number has a philly area code still.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

I should just hold off until Sprint's two Android phones come out in the next few weeks.  But what will I do for instant gratification?  :(

Give in to your lust for shiny consumer electronics.

Buy an iPhone.

Join us..............
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2009, 12:35:06 PM

Buy an iPhone.

Join us..............

brains.....
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Savonarola

Okay, now you guys got me thinking about phones too much.  I'm eligible for subsidized pricing on a new phone, and I'm ready to ditch this generally reliable but boring Moto Q9c.  I'm really tempted to get a Palm Pre, but that tiny keyboard may be a deal-breaker.

My sensible, professional side (or what's left of it) says get the Blackberry Tour 9650 but it would feel too much like what I have now.

Has Sprint launched WiMax in your market?  If so hold off for the Android.  I know some people who have worked for Sprint on 4G launches and they say WiMax technology is blazing fast.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2009, 12:35:06 PM

Buy an iPhone.

Join us..............

If it had a physical keyboard I'd seriously consider it.

Speaking of shiny consumer electronics, my Zune HD is a thing of beauty :)  It ain't the apps monster that is the Touch, but that's not what I bought it for.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2009, 01:26:32 PM
If it had a physical keyboard I'd seriously consider it.

Get a blackberry then.  Apparently they have the nicest keyboards.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on September 23, 2009, 12:54:13 PM
Has Sprint launched WiMax in your market?  If so hold off for the Android.  I know some people who have worked for Sprint on 4G launches and they say WiMax technology is blazing fast.

I thought WiMax was still only available in Baltimore, but I'm not sure.  They are advertising it in Sprint stores here, but I don't think it's available yet.

My wish list for my next phone is:
*Android OS
*physical qwerty keyboard
*16x9 (ish) screen
*wifi

This is in addition to all the stuff we take for granted now.

If it turns out to match the rumors, the InstinctQ may fit the bill: http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/19/samsung-instinctq-for-sprint-pictured-imagine-a-g1-but-better/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2009, 01:36:56 PM

As I mentioned, my current phone is very similar. 

I want a bigger screen & that form factor is feeling a bit dated.

viper37

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2009, 10:45:27 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 23, 2009, 09:38:27 AM
it depends on where you register your phone and who is the provider.
You may buy your cell phone in a city and have it registered in another city if you want to.
... if you're a drug dealer.
won't do you any good for that.

However, for someone living in an area and working/traveling frequently in another, it's useful as you avoid long distance charges.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2009, 01:39:20 PM

I thought WiMax was still only available in Baltimore, but I'm not sure.  They are advertising it in Sprint stores here, but I don't think it's available yet.

It looks like you're right.  Avoid Sprint like the plague then; their 3G service is awful.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 23, 2009, 11:27:07 AM
Decent cell phones are only cheap in the US because they force you in to overpriced contracts
try Canada.  Then you can complain ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on September 23, 2009, 01:46:09 PM
It looks like you're right.  Avoid Sprint like the plague then; their 3G service is awful.

Actually EvDo here in Cincy is quite good.  When tethered to my laptop, I've gotten over 1.5mbps down :)

Caliga

AAAAARGH.  I *hated* my Moto Q... worst cellphone ever.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2009, 01:36:56 PM
My BB has a great keyboard, yeah... I can type out an email on it basically as fast as I can at a desktop/laptop, unless I need to use alot of special symbols or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points