News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite National Epic?

Started by Queequeg, March 25, 2009, 02:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite national epic, in prose or poetic form.

The Epic of Gilgamesh (Sumer)
2 (4.5%)
The Illiad (Ancient Greece)
9 (20.5%)
The Aeneid (Rome)
3 (6.8%)
Ramayana (India)
0 (0%)
Beowulf (Anglo-Saxons)
3 (6.8%)
Shahnameh (Persian)
0 (0%)
The Song of My Lord (Spain)
1 (2.3%)
The Divine Comedy (Italy)
1 (2.3%)
Táin Bó Cúailnge (Ireland)
3 (6.8%)
The Eddas (Norse)
5 (11.4%)
The Nibelungenlied (Germany)
2 (4.5%)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (China)
4 (9.1%)
Paradise Lost (England)
2 (4.5%)
Moby-Dick (USA)
3 (6.8%)
War and Peace (Russia)
0 (0%)
Kaevala (Finns, other Uralic freaks)
2 (4.5%)
Other
4 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Razgovory

Illiad.  I suppose the Bible could be the the Western Epic.  For the US, there is always the Song of Hiawatha.  Though I've never read it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

It's a huge tossup for me.  I love national epics as a "genre".
and the horse you rode in on

grumbler

Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:28:50 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2009, 02:23:58 PM
The US epic is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

This isn't even a subject of debate.
I'd say it is probably best if we split up the US; New England would get Moby-Dick, the South would get Huck Finn, etc......
True, and if we split Greece we can have both the Iliad and the Odyssey :woot:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2009, 02:31:00 PM
Well there's not really a King Arthur that tells the story of Arthur as we know it.  Malory's books are largely a reinterpretation of existing French texts  But I think maybe the last book could count as a sort of national epic.  Things fall apart.

"National Myth" might be a better term for King Arthur as nearly every generation retells the story in a new and different way.  The Greeks did the same with the Oresteia.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Queequeg

Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2009, 02:37:54 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:28:50 PM

I'd say it is probably best if we split up the US; New England would get Moby-Dick, the South would get Huck Finn, etc......
True, and if we split Greece we can have both the Iliad and the Odyssey :woot:
Trouble is that the exact same Greece (and supposedly the exact same poet) produced both the Iliad and the Odyssey, while there are obviously huge differences between Huck Finn and Moby-Dick. 

But yeah, I probably should have cut out the Tain and put in Huck Finn for the South and Moby-Dick for the North. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:40:35 PM
there are obviously huge differences both in setting and author between Huck Finn and Moby-Dick. 

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:36:02 PM
What's the translation you are reading?  I'd love to read it, though I think I might end up studying Persian so hopefully I will one day read (if not all of, than maybe the first 20,000 pages) of it.
I've an old Edwardian translation (and abridgement) I found in a second hand bookstore.  I never got past 20 pages.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shahnameh-Persian-Penguin-Classics-Editions/dp/0143104934/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238010198&sr=8-1
This is on my wishlist.  Largely because I suspect it'll be like the Odyssey, which I first tried to read in Edwardian translation.  Then I read it by a modern writer and enjoyed it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I don't get Moby Dick and Huck Finn (and Don Quixote for that matter).  To qualify as an epic, doesn't the main character need to do something, you know...epic?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2009, 02:47:42 PM
I don't get Moby Dick and Huck Finn (and Don Quixote for that matter).  To qualify as an epic, doesn't the main character need to do something, you know...epic?
Huck Finn goes on an Epic journey down the Mississippi river where he deals with all kinds of assorted scum.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2009, 02:46:00 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:36:02 PM
What's the translation you are reading?  I'd love to read it, though I think I might end up studying Persian so hopefully I will one day read (if not all of, than maybe the first 20,000 pages) of it.
I've an old Edwardian translation (and abridgement) I found in a second hand bookstore.  I never got past 20 pages.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shahnameh-Persian-Penguin-Classics-Editions/dp/0143104934/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238010198&sr=8-1
This is on my wishlist.  Largely because I suspect it'll be like the Odyssey, which I first tried to read in Edwardian translation.  Then I read it by a modern writer and enjoyed it.
This looks amazing.  I'd recommend reading My Name is Red if you are interested in reading the Shahnameh; its about Ottoman miniaturists, first time I realized just how influential the Shahnameh was.  Also made me decide  to name my firstborn son Rostam, as it goes well with my last name.  Pamuk is a very, very interesting writer.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2009, 02:47:42 PM
I can't think of anything more epic than chasing the largest vertebrate that has ever existed on this planet until all of your friends die and you survive by hanging onto your gay lover's coffin.   

jimmy olsen

While male sperm whales were significantly larger before whalers culled their population, even if Moby Dick was as large as a sperm whale ever got he would not qualify for the largest vertebrate ever, at only 85 feet.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:51:47 PM
I can't think of anything more epic than chasing the largest vertebrate that has ever existed on this planet until all of your friends die and you survive by hanging onto your gay lover's coffin.
It was an industrial activity.  Except the part about the gay lover's coffin.

Malthus

I'm reading this to my wife right now. It is very much not what she expected.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2009, 02:57:40 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:51:47 PM
It was an industrial activity.  Except the part about the gay lover's coffin.
Have you read the final chapters?  Ahab drops his pipe and screams "FROM HELL'S HEART, I STAB AT THEE!"  Somehow I doubt Ford ever said that on a production line.

Timmy, fine, the largest vertebrate that wasn't a blue whale ever.