News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite National Epic?

Started by Queequeg, March 25, 2009, 02:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite national epic, in prose or poetic form.

The Epic of Gilgamesh (Sumer)
2 (4.5%)
The Illiad (Ancient Greece)
9 (20.5%)
The Aeneid (Rome)
3 (6.8%)
Ramayana (India)
0 (0%)
Beowulf (Anglo-Saxons)
3 (6.8%)
Shahnameh (Persian)
0 (0%)
The Song of My Lord (Spain)
1 (2.3%)
The Divine Comedy (Italy)
1 (2.3%)
Táin Bó Cúailnge (Ireland)
3 (6.8%)
The Eddas (Norse)
5 (11.4%)
The Nibelungenlied (Germany)
2 (4.5%)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (China)
4 (9.1%)
Paradise Lost (England)
2 (4.5%)
Moby-Dick (USA)
3 (6.8%)
War and Peace (Russia)
0 (0%)
Kaevala (Finns, other Uralic freaks)
2 (4.5%)
Other
4 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on March 25, 2009, 06:40:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 25, 2009, 05:17:40 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2009, 02:23:58 PM
The US epic is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

This isn't even a subject of debate.

Yeah, gotta go with that one.

No disagreement here.
You know I haven't read that in forever, I think next time I go to the library I'll take that out.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2009, 05:56:23 PM
Hey Squeelus, how about the Moses story?
In general I tried to make this secular; chose the Shahnameh over the Gathas, Ramayana over Rigveda, etc....Moses would be a good choice, its just that it is such a universal story among the Abrahamic faiths that I'm not totally sure it really belongs to one "nation" anymore.  Though obviously the Ramayana is not 'secular', the Rigveda has a lot of prayers ,same with the Old Testament.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Habsburg

The Age of Innocence (Wharton) USA

clandestino

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on March 25, 2009, 06:38:35 PM
The Lusiadas....

I'm thinking about reading (I mean *really* reading) the stuff. Have you done it?

From what I've read Pessoa's Mensagem could be a contender, although a little bit depressive and modernist (wish shouldn't be the literary era).

I'm trying to pick a copy of Peregrinação and then I'll decide wish is our major national epic.  :bowler:

dps

Quote from: Martinus on March 25, 2009, 03:17:28 PM
It really depends on what you consider a "national epic". Is it the theme or the author that counts? If the latter, then Paradise Lost is definitely the English epic.

I think it's the former.  Paradise Lost isn't an English national epic;  it's an epic work by an Englishman.  Same with the Divine Comedy and Italy, IMO.  There just isn't enough "national" content in either.  Some of the other poll choices I think are iffy in that regard.

katmai

Quote from: The Larch on March 25, 2009, 05:31:51 PM

That's "El Cantar del Mio Cid", and Spellus himself says he discarded it when picking them.

Edit: Wait, I misread. So Spellus translated Mio Cid as My Lord? Dumbass...

it's spellus, what do you expect.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Queequeg

Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2009, 05:25:26 PM
Quote from: The Larch on March 25, 2009, 05:13:41 PM
QuoteThe Song of My Lord (Spain)

WTF is that one supposed to be?
The story of El Cid.  I think it is the oldest Spanish epic.

That's "El Cantar del Mio Cid", and Spellus himself says he discarded it when picking them.

Doesn't Cid mean Lord, and I'm guessing Mio means my, and El Cantar is a cognate if you know anything about music.  How is the translation wrong?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

dps

Quote from: Queequeg on March 26, 2009, 12:38:11 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2009, 05:25:26 PM
Quote from: The Larch on March 25, 2009, 05:13:41 PM
QuoteThe Song of My Lord (Spain)

WTF is that one supposed to be?
The story of El Cid.  I think it is the oldest Spanish epic.

Doesn't Cid mean Lord, and I'm guessing Mio means my, and El Cantar is a cognate if you know anything about music.  How is the translation wrong?

Effectively, "El Cid" is a proper name, and shouldn't be translated.

Alatriste

I voted for the Cid, but I was sorely tempted to vote 'Other': the Lord of the Rings, the Nerdish National Epic.

Regarding the 'Cantar del Mio Cid', 'Mio' means 'my' and 'Cid' comes from 'Sidi', more or less the Arabic equivalent of 'Lord' or 'Sir'. The poem uses several terms for its hero, Ruy Díaz de Vivar: 'Mio Cid', 'Cid',  'Campeador' (battler or fighter), and the full form 'Mio Cid Campeador', i.e. 'My Lord the Battler'.

But the text implies the Arabic 'Cid' became his nickname even during his life, and certainly it did after he died. He's 'El Cid' and that term can't be translated as 'The Lord'... I would translate it as 'The Lay of the Cid', an alternative English title according to the Wikipedia.

And as a national epic, it has been almost completely superseded by the Quixote. As an Spanish national epic the Lay of the Cid is problematic, because it is belligerently Castilian, the author considered Aragonese as foreign as Muslims or more (after all, the King of Castile had many Muslim vassals) and one of the events included is how the Cid and his little army defeated the Count of Barcelona - portraited as a foolish braggart - and took him prisoner...

Delirium

Isn't the English epic the Arthur legend?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Monoriu

Rommance of the 3 kingdoms.

Eochaid

It's been a while

PDH

Strange Brew - The Canadian National Epic.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2009, 05:23:33 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 25, 2009, 04:59:31 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2009, 04:48:02 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 25, 2009, 03:13:29 PM

I read to her all the time, because she likes being read to. I wasn't aware that horrible mutilation was mandatory.

You've been sadly misinformed then. :mellow:

When you get married, you can explain that "necessity" to the cops.  :D

Ass, you know what I meant. :lol:

Actually - I don't.  :P

Reading out loud isn't just for kids, IMO. It is a fun activity for adults, too. We certainly enjoy it - it takes a certain amount of skill to do it well, and it beats watching TV in bed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Honey, read Hunters of Gor to me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive