Jimmy Carter: Wilson comments 'based on racism'

Started by garbon, September 16, 2009, 01:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 18, 2009, 01:19:33 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 18, 2009, 12:33:40 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32899516/ns/us_news-race_and_ethnicity/

Don't be silly, it has been explained that only the left plays the race card.

The right wing in America is a paradise of racial tolerance and understanding.  If they ask "who is barack obama?" and tell him to go back to Kenya, it is because they are both geniuinely curious to find out more about Barack's life story and because they want to encourage American tourism to Kenya and boost US diplomacy in Africa.

Let's not get crazy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 18, 2009, 01:22:28 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2009, 01:19:46 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 18, 2009, 01:11:58 PM
Edit:  And I disagree about the old gent.
If you are at a dinner party at that house of an African-American, and you ask your hostess for a drink, is that racially loaded?
If you're at a dinner party and you have to ask for a drink you should leave.
You're far too uptight.  A party should be judged by the quality of the company, not the quality of the service.

If you're not careful, you'll end up like Martinus.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2009, 01:38:10 PM
You're far too uptight.  A party should be judged by the quality of the company, not the quality of the service.
I agree with that.  But the most important job a host and hostess have is to check on people's glasses :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 18, 2009, 11:25:13 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on September 18, 2009, 09:47:59 AM
It's pretty clear to me that a lot of the anger at Obama is that he's a black man, and he represents a real and fundamental change in the world for a lot of whites.

Hmm, so if Obama happened to be a conservative, do you think we rabid racist rightwingers would have the same reaction to him?

Don't know.  Alot of conservatives were fairly unhappy with Colon Powell.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2009, 01:39:35 PM
Alot of conservatives were fairly unhappy with Colon Powell.

It was a question of intestinal fortitude, but in the end, it was only the most firm, rear-guard elements of the movement that got gassed about it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jaron

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 18, 2009, 01:55:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2009, 01:39:35 PM
Alot of conservatives were fairly unhappy with Colon Powell.

It was a question of intestinal fortitude, but in the end, it was only the most firm, rear-guard elements of the movement that got gassed about it.

:lol:

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Berkut

Don't be silly, nobody has claimed that only the left plays the race card, only that it is the left playing it right now.

Calling someone a racist in an effort to ignore their argument is as reprehensible as actually *being* racist.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on September 18, 2009, 02:01:05 PM

Don't be silly, nobody has claimed that only the left plays the race card, only that it is the left playing it right now.

Calling someone a racist in an effort to ignore their argument is as reprehensible as actually *being* racist.

BS.  Take a look at Hans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2009, 02:24:07 PM

BS.  Take a look at Hans.

Why would I want to do that?

0 rows returned

garbon

Bullshit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2009, 02:58:46 PM

Bullshit.

You are only saying that because I am white.

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 18, 2009, 03:00:38 PM

Yeah that's not as reprehensible as the hypothetical me that acts that way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2009, 03:02:27 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 18, 2009, 03:00:38 PM

Yeah that's not as reprehensible as the hypothetical me that acts that way.

Only because you know I am not serious about it.

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 18, 2009, 03:03:53 PM
Only because you know I am not serious about it.

If you were serious, I'd think it was a low move but I still won't concede that it is on par with actually being racist.  I'd pick a liar over a hater, any day.

Malthus

Actually being racist and calling someone racist when indifferent to whether they are or not are only just as reprehensible in the argument, because both indicate that the person is dismissing the other side's points for irrelevant reasons.

Actually being racist is more reprehensible because presumably a real racist is racist all the time, and so will behave in a racist manner towards people in other contexts. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius