Jimmy Carter: Wilson comments 'based on racism'

Started by garbon, September 16, 2009, 01:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090916/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_heckling_carter

QuoteATLANTA – Former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday that U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson's outburst to President Barack Obama during a speech to Congress last week was an act "based on racism" and rooted in fears of a black president.

"I think it's based on racism," Carter said in response to an audience question at a town hall held at his presidential center in Atlanta. "There is an inherent feeling among many in this country that an African-American should not be president."

The Georgia Democrat said the outburst was a part of a disturbing trend directed at the president that has included demonstrators equating Obama to Nazi leaders.

"Those kind of things are not just casual outcomes of a sincere debate on whether we should have a national program on health care," he said. "It's deeper than that."

Wilson, a South Carolina Republican, was formally rebuked Tuesday in a House vote for shouting "You lie!" during Obama's speech to Congress last Wednesday.

The shout came after the president commented that illegal aliens would be ineligible for federal subsidies to buy health insurance. Republicans expressed their disbelief with sounds of disapproval, punctuated by Wilson's outburst.

Tuesday's rebuke was a rare resolution of disapproval pushed through by Democrats who insisted that Wilson had violated basic rules of decorum and civility. Republicans characterized the measure as a witch hunt and Wilson, who had already apologized to Obama, insisted he owed the House no apology.

Wilson's spokesman was not immediately available for comment, but his eldest son defended his father.

"There is not a racist bone in my dad's body," said Alan Wilson, an Iraq veteran who is running for state attorney general. "He doesn't even laugh at distasteful jokes. I won't comment on former President Carter, because I don't know President Carter. But I know my dad, and it's just not in him."

"It's unfortunate people make that jump. People can disagree — and appropriately disagree — on issues of substance, but when they make the jump to race it's absolutely ludicrous. My brothers and I were raised by our parents to respect everyone regardless of background or race."

South Carolina's former Democratic Party chairman said that he doesn't believe Wilson was motivated by racism, but said the outburst encouraged racist views.

"I think Joe's conduct was asinine, but I think it would be asinine no matter what the color of the president," said Dick Harpootlian, who has known Wilson for decades. "I don't think Joe's outburst was caused by President Obama being African-American. I think it was caused by no filter being between his brain and his mouth."

Harpootlian said he received scores of racial e-mails from outside South Carolina after he talked about the vote on Fox News.

"You have a bunch of folks out there looking for some comfort in their racial issues. They have a problem with an African-American president," he said. "But was he motivated by that? I don't think so. I respectfully disagree with President Carter, though it gives validity to racism."

Carter called Wilson's comment "dastardly" and an aftershock of racist views that have permeated American politics for decades.

"The president is not only the head of government, he is the head of state," he said. "And no matter who he is or how much we disagree with his policies, the president should be treated with respect."

White folk can't respectably cry racism, so they take to declaring it for black folk. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I think it would be more accurate to say it reflected racism against jaronites.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Well, it's true.  Some people will never accept a black President.  So shameful.

Neil

Why would comparing Obama to Nazi leaders be racist?  That's what the opposition parties do with presidents.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Admiral Yi

Obama should give a speech healing the wounds caused by Wilson's racism.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 06:45:27 AM
Obama should give a speech healing the wounds caused by Wilson's racism.
Have them over for a beer.
PDH!

Sheilbh

Maureen Dowd argues much the same.  It's impossible to know, of course.  Though I do think that it's sort of inevitable that unconscious (and conscious) racial views will influence how people see and respond to Obama.  I think it more than possible that that could have been part of this, of another 60-something Southern Congressman referring to Obama as a 'boy' and of a 60 something Southern Senator saying that Obama needs to show more 'humility'.

This doesn't mean that those guys are racists.  I think that's a conscious decision, but I think that on these specific occasions their behaviour, age and background suggest that race could play some part in how they view and respond to Obama.  Of the three I think Wilson is the least likely, though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Please tell me you don't take Maureen Dowd seriously Shelf.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 07:30:31 AM
Please tell me you don't take Maureen Dowd seriously Shelf.
:lol:  I find her style a bit too excitable.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Well, if anyone knows about racism, it's that old anti-semite Jimmy Carter.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

I'm in the "probably true that race is factoring into politicians not respecting the President as much," but how anybody can make that kind of blanket comment without any supporting details... when did Carter Jump the Shark(TM) again?
Experience bij!