Jimmy Carter: Wilson comments 'based on racism'

Started by garbon, September 16, 2009, 01:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2009, 01:45:05 PM
Have you any other examples?
"The other campaign will use racist tactics to convince you to vote for McCain."

Plus the response to the dead chimp cartoon.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 03:19:23 PM
"The other campaign will use racist tactics to convince you to vote for McCain."

Plus the response to the dead chimp cartoon.
I agree with you on most of those, but the chimp cartoon was certainly racist.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2009, 03:25:54 PM
I of 2 is most?

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 03:28:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2009, 03:25:54 PM
I of 2 is most?
I assumed you were just adding on to Kron's list which would make it 4 out of 5.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2009, 07:28:13 AM
Of the three I think Wilson is the least likely, though.

Maybe if he came from Minnesota, perhaps.  But he represents South Carolina, the belly of the Southern beast, where they still fly the Confederate flag in front of the state house.  Even in this day and age, they're still pissed about 1964.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on September 16, 2009, 01:39:02 PM
It's getting quite offensive that so often racism is used to define anyone who disagrees with or questions the President. Really, it's setting back race relations a lot, I would think.

It's only racism if the president's black. If he's white, it's just being un-American.  Or do you not remember the previous 8 years?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2009, 02:21:35 PM
and this Carter comment (not careful).

Everybody's giving Carter shit and discounting his comments because he's a left-wingnut.  But he's also a Southerner, from the old school South, so maybe he knows of which he speaks.

Hansmeister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2009, 05:19:09 PM
Quote from: KRonn on September 16, 2009, 01:39:02 PM
It's getting quite offensive that so often racism is used to define anyone who disagrees with or questions the President. Really, it's setting back race relations a lot, I would think.

It's only racism if the president's black. If he's white, it's just being un-American.  Or do you not remember the previous 8 years?

The only ones who threw around the unamerican moniker, and still do, were the Democrats.  Kerry and Edwards used it all the time in '04.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 16, 2009, 05:26:06 PM
The only ones who threw around the unamerican moniker, and still do, were the Democrats.  Kerry and Edwards used it all the time in '04.

I don't recall that;  I was too distracted by so many credible, non-specific homeland security threats that year.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2009, 05:21:14 PM
Everybody's giving Carter shit and discounting his comments because he's a left-wingnut.  But he's also a Southerner, from the old school South, so maybe he knows of which he speaks.
Even when he goes on to say that the overwhelming majority of anger directed at the president's health care proposal, north and south, is based on racism?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 05:28:22 PM
Even when he goes on to say that the overwhelming majority of anger directed at the president's health care proposal, north and south, is based on racism?

EVEN THEN.

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 05:28:22 PM
Anger?  I think that pretty specifically targets the nutty "GO BACK TO KENYA" crowd, which is, well, racist. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2009, 05:30:15 PM
EVEN THEN.
OK, AS LONG AS HE'S A SOUTHERNER.

Though he's been hanging out in Gaza and Syria so much maybe he doesn't qualify any more.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on September 16, 2009, 05:31:24 PM
Anger?  I think that pretty specifically targets the nutty "GO BACK TO KENYA" crowd, which is, well, racist.
Sort of like the senior citizens who chased Rostenkowski around the parking lot with their canes and strollers.  Hated Poles something fierce.