Jimmy Carter: Wilson comments 'based on racism'

Started by garbon, September 16, 2009, 01:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: ulmont on September 16, 2009, 09:05:36 AM
So you're saying you think Carter is right, but that he shouldn't have said anything?

Not really; it looks to me like Obama's race has been encouraging some casual disgust for the office of the President that's a little frightening at times, but one should also consider that 1) Americans have been noted to be losing decorum by the day, and 2) some of this is probably a "taste of one's own medicine" in terms of how a lot of liberals and moderates behaved during the Bush administration; there were quite a few who weren't that far removed from Michael Moore's caricatures.

Short answer: Carter's only partially right. The country's polarizing, and Obama's race is playing a role in it, but it's at best a bit part in a B-movie.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 16, 2009, 05:35:23 PM
2) some of this is probably a "taste of one's own medicine" in terms of how a lot of liberals and moderates conservatives behaved during the Bush Clinton administration;

Edited for clarity.

Eddie Teach

The phrase "a taste of one's own medicine" implies some sort of turnabout. Simply repeating behaviors you've done in the past doesn't qualify. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Things were worse in the 1790s.  And you can quote me.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 05:32:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2009, 05:30:15 PM
EVEN THEN.
OK, AS LONG AS HE'S A SOUTHERNER.

Though he's been hanging out in Gaza and Syria so much maybe he doesn't qualify any more.

Why- that's South.  Hot, poor, full of well-armed religious fundamentalists.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on September 16, 2009, 05:47:49 PM
Things were worse in the 1790s.  And you can quote me.

Honestly, I think they were worse in the 1850s.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2009, 05:28:22 PM
Even when he goes on to say that the overwhelming majority of anger directed at the president's health care proposal, north and south, is based on racism?

The anger is certainly over the top and ridiculous bordering on irrational so that would make about as much sense as anything else.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Speaking against Rev Wright's views, racist. Charlie Rangel and a multitude of tax issues being looked into, some call it racist. Condi "White" Rice, Colin Powell are Uncle Toms. As I recall, even talking about the Ayers and Obama relationship was called racist. And on, and on.

The Racist card is being tossed about by too many trying to browbeat, embarrass those who dissent. That's been the mode of some for a long while and it worked, to some extent.  But now that same label being tossed about so freely over so many just dissenting points of view is just ruinous for racism issues, and the cry of wolf is quite despicable and ridiculous now.

There is racism but not so much of what is being labeled racist at every turn now.

CountDeMoney

Racism aside...wasn't this past weekend like a really bad episode of "Blacks Behaving Badly"?

Serena Williams ghettos out on a line judge at the Open.
Kanye West scares the shit out a little white girl and her award at the MVAs.
Michael Jordan lost his mind during his HoF acceptance speech, and called out everyone since high school.

All we needed was Tiger Woods and Oprah to go on a 3 state killing spree.

Valmy

If there is racism on display it is subtle enough that I think Obama can take it.  I mean George Bushitler came before him so he is not stepping into the Presidency in an era of respectful dialog and public debate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2009, 05:59:11 PM

That would make for a great goofy buddy movie.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on September 16, 2009, 05:31:24 PM
Anger?  I think that pretty specifically targets the nutty "GO BACK TO KENYA" crowd, which is, well, racist. 

Except that a member of his immediate family is from Kenya. That's different from a generic statement telling black people to go back to Africa.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2009, 05:59:11 PM
Racism aside...wasn't this past weekend like a really bad episode of "Blacks Behaving Badly"?

Serena Williams ghettos out on a line judge at the Open.
Kanye West scares the shit out a little white girl and her award at the MVAs.
Michael Jordan lost his mind during his HoF acceptance speech, and called out everyone since high school.

Lol, Kanye West was a putz, or as Pres Obama said, "he's a jackass", as caught on a microphone. Serena was fine, she got caught up in the moment. She talked about it on an interview, and did well in talking about it. She seems very cool, well spoken, mature. As for Jordan, didn't see that. Sounds funny given who he is, and maybe he was calling out those who bullied him as a kid, unless he was just being nasty.

garbon

Of course, because it doesn't fit his narrative, Money left out that Beyonce brought Taylor Swift back out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.