News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallen Earth MMO

Started by Tamas, September 15, 2009, 03:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

How do you feel about moving to Poland?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on September 27, 2009, 06:15:56 AM
That is also something I don't like: why should I feel like I am in a race to max level?

Because you are. Maybe FE is the exception, but we've been waiting for one for a long time now.*

*Eve Online doesn't count.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on September 27, 2009, 05:51:31 AM
Quote from: Jaron on September 27, 2009, 05:49:25 AM
Actually, I would say it isn't juvenile but casual v. hard core mmo players.

The changes to WoW for example aren't because a majority of the players are teenagers and want easy stuff. It was because the majority of their player base couldn't devote 5 nights a week to raiding and so a large portion of the stuff their artists and game designers were creating were being used by a minority of the players.

So, they changed the game to make raiding more accessible. Had nothing to do with age groups and everything to do with playing time.

Yeah but whats the point? If everyone can get to the top with little effort, whats the point? Insta-gratification, that's what.

It isn't about instant gratification. It is about the fact that if you make a game so that someone needs to devote 3 months of raiding 5 days a week to reach the end game content, then someone who raids 1-2 nights a week must devote a year to do so - and this is something most people who have normal lives are not prepared to do. So if you make it so that the casuals can reach the end game content after about 1 month of playing, it means that the "hardcores" can do so within a week or so.

WoW is so successful because Blizzard realized that they should not be addressing the game to the "typical gamer" (tm) but to people who play casually - because there are more of them, they usually have more money and they are more loyal to a game than hyperactive late teen/young adult males with no stable jobs but a lot of free time.

Tamas

Fair enough. My point of servers populated with assholes stand though. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on September 27, 2009, 12:28:59 PM
Fair enough. My point of servers populated with assholes stand though. :P

Again, WoW made sure that the ability of assholes to ruin the fun for others is very limited. You have pretty much consensual world PvP, no real consequences for being killed in PvP other than some time lost (no looting or xp loss or gear status loss), you have no avatar collision, you have emblems from raids so people do not need to use DKP systems, etc. Most of these ideas have been decried at one point in time or another by the "hardcore" crowd as unrealistic, "dumbing down", "too easy" and whatnot. But it works because WoW is not a game for the hardcores.

Trying playing EVE (or the old UO) and you will see what assholes are capable of.

Strix

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2009, 01:10:14 PM
Trying playing EVE (or the old UO) and you will see what assholes are capable of.

Case in point. I ruled in the old UO!!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on September 26, 2009, 01:55:05 PM
They need to do something with oversea network speed. :( During peak times like right now, I get lag, which due to the FPS nature would destroy any hopes of PVPing.

I am getting bad lag in the crowded areas as well.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 27, 2009, 09:47:49 AM

*Eve Online doesn't count.

The more I play this the more I am reminded of eve. 

crazy canuck

Hopefully they fixed the lag problems after taking the server down last night.

Seen

So escapist is offering 15 day trials so im going to see this game, finally!

Silence in this thread suggests im wasting bandwidth dling though  :P

crazy canuck

I liked it.  Just dont have time to play it.

Seen

Any tips to get to know the game quickly?

crazy canuck

Its similar to Eve in feel.  You have to decide whether you will be a crafter, fighter or support person and based on that decision you will make your character and you will be assigned a particular starting area.

I only played the crafter for any length of time so I cant really  tell you anything about the other areas or styles of play.  The crafting system is very well developed (again similar to Eve).  The early quests pretty much teach you what you need to learn about the game.  One thing that is not immediately obvious is that there is a bank in the starting area and so dont be shy about doing a lot of gathering.  When your pack gets full just dump it in the bank for when you want to do some crafting.

Drakken

Just got my new bomb of a computer, and with the current draught in good PC games I wanted to try this one.

Now that it's been out for months, is it any good or was the type exagerated in typical Tamas-form?  :P